My journey

Share how you became a Christian, or experiences from your Christian life.
1over137
Technical Admin
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: My journey

Post by 1over137 »

yes
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
Philip
Site Owner
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Philip »

Yes, Annette, I was concerned to have not heard from you.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Maybe her journey has ended?
:knight:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

RickD wrote:Maybe her journey has ended?
:knight:

Meh, go make her a sammich :running:
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Christian: No

Post by Storyteller »

Where to start?

I still feel slightly lost, kinda like out in the wilderness. I still trust in God, am still reaching out to Him, I just think he's a bit busy :)
So much has happened, there have been so many challenges, so many things are coming to light and some of it isn't easy. I think, perhaps, I am finally demolishing my strongholds. I actually came across a book entitled Truth that demolishes Strongholds. It has been, and is, illuminating, in so many ways. I am following the book along with B.W's bible study and everything he, and you guys, have said.
Came across one verse that made me sob like a baby, Psalm27:10 Though my mother and father forsake me, the Lord will receive me.

Been chatting to a few people about my faith too, non believers and believers, and the weird thing through all this is that although I feel distant from God, they ALL say how strongly my faith shines through...
I have a few questions about some questions I got too...
I got told I wasn't a "true" Christian because I don't necessarily disagree with a gay couple adopting children. Ideally, yes, it should be a mum and a dad but isn't a secure, loving (gay) family better than a fractured (straight) one? Maybe this kinda creeps into the is homosexuality wrong thing. "Wrong" might not be the word I'd use. I suppose it's that I can't find it in myself to condemn someone for who they are, we are all sinners and Jesus spent most of his time with sinners. I chatted to a woman who is an atheist, gay, married and has adopted two girls. They are loved, wanted and bright little girls. She asked my thoughts on her situation. I told her that I personally didn't think that being actively gay went with what God desired but Christ taught us about love and compassion, forgiveness, tolerance and kindness rather than casting the first stone. She asked me if God would love her even if she was gay, I told her that I believed He would, and in fact does. She asked me what religion I followed and I told her that to be honest I didn't know, I just believed in Christ as my Saviour and told her about this place.

Gonna try and catch up with a few posts so will stop here, for now :)

And guys..... thank you y@};-
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

I would not cast the stone...
It could be casted on me.

Well, we do not follow religion. We are Christians.
We follow Christ (try to).

But I also have to say that, well, for kids, the best is to be taught about Christianity, right?
I am now imagining this debate between mum and kid:
mum: woman is not to be with woman, it is a sin
kid: but mum, then you are sinning
mum: yes, my kid

Well, such debates could be between kid and other sinners, not just gays.
My question is: will the kid be taught that it is sin?

Hard topic.

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.

#foreverinmyheart
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

1over137 wrote:I would not cast the stone...
It could be casted on me.

Well, we do not follow religion. We are Christians.
We follow Christ (try to).

But I also have to say that, well, for kids, the best is to be taught about Christianity, right?
I am now imagining this debate between mum and kid:
mum: woman is not to be with woman, it is a sin
kid: but mum, then you are sinning
mum: yes, my kid

Well, such debates could be between kid and other sinners, not just gays.
My question is: will the kid be taught that it is sin?

Hard topic.
edit: Well,Jesus said to the woman when noone casted the stone: Go woman and sin no more

#foreverinmyheart
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

God loves ALL. But that love is applied eternally only through faith.

However, it is typically not a good idea to debate what God does and does not allow with an unbeliever. Focus on issues related to their unbelief first. Develop relationship first. Develop trust first. Arguing or addressing a SPECIFIC sin with a non-Christian is usually unproductive.

BTW, God did not create anyone so as they would commit ANY sins. He does not cause sin or tempt. He did not create people to practice what he calls a significant sin: homosexuality (or adultery, whoredom, etc.). He did not make anyone GAY. This is a huge lie believed by millions - unfortunately, many of them Christians.
bbyrd009
BANNED

Post by bbyrd009 »

amen. Fundamentalists "make" gay people. The connection is not even hard to see. What you resist, persists.
"Creation is continuous, and never stops."
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Christian: No

Post by Storyteller »

She doesn't see it as a sin hana, she doesn't believe in God. She knows that my beliefs are that what she practises isn't natural but she also knows that I love her.
She's had her fill of being condemned and shunned and she loves her family, I can relate to that. God loves her, so do I, I'm not gonna tell her God rejects her because of her sexuality. I'm gonna show her that God loves her, is waiting for her, all she has to do is trust that.
She has opened up to me hana, she trusts me, she knows how I care about God, I think she is curious, she wants to know God, she's just been told time and time again that God will not love her because she is a lesbian. that breaks my heart.
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
bbyrd009
BANNED

Post by bbyrd009 »

Storyteller wrote:She doesn't see it as a sin hana, she doesn't believe in God. She knows that my beliefs are that what she practises isn't natural but she also knows that I love her.
She's had her fill of being condemned and shunned and she loves her family, I can relate to that. God loves her, so do I, I'm not gonna tell her God rejects her because of her sexuality. I'm gonna show her that God loves her, is waiting for her, all she has to do is trust that.
She has opened up to me hana, she trusts me, she knows how I care about God, I think she is curious, she wants to know God, she's just been told time and time again that God will not love her because she is a lesbian. that breaks my heart.
it can easily be demonstrated from Scripture that we are not even interpreting "homosexual" right, let alone how to apply these passages that seem to be about the physical, but relate to everyman's incestuous relationship with their "spiritual" selves; "two men in a bed" is thus actually a model of me, myself, if i will accept it; which of course i must do if i am to progress spiritually.

And imo the Book is just written in such a way that all may find what they seek; even "Atheists," or oppressors, so that hearts may be revealed, in the interpretation.
"Creation is continuous, and never stops."
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

bbyrd009 wrote:
Storyteller wrote:She doesn't see it as a sin hana, she doesn't believe in God. She knows that my beliefs are that what she practises isn't natural but she also knows that I love her.
it can easily be demonstrated from Scripture that we are not even interpreting "homosexual" right, let alone how to apply these passages that seem to be about the physical, but relate to everyman's incestuous relationship with their "spiritual" selves; "two men in a bed" is thus actually a model of me, myself, if i will accept it; which of course i must do if i am to progress spiritually.

And imo the Book is just written in such a way that all may find what they seek; even "Atheists," or oppressors, so that hearts may be revealed, in the interpretation.
What are you saying bb?

Homosexuality is ok?
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

Also your interpretation on that scripture is a tad twisted I think
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Story, love your new friend, as she is and where she is. If she will come to the Lord, he'll take care of her issues, help to make her aware of them. And we all had and have issues. At this point, there is no reason to focus on her lesbianism - certainly not NOW. But many people don't want to turn to God, because they recognize that He may want them to change things that are more important to them than seeking the love of God. It's the same reason why many know that there are many things untrue about their religious beliefs, but nonetheless, they won't consider the Lord because being immersed where their friends and family are, where they feel accepted - those things are more important to many in cults, etc.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Annette,

With posts like this, you are truly wise beyond your years!

Edit: never mind. I just looked at your profile, and it says you're 46. You're supposed to be wise at your age.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony