My testimony

Share how you became a Christian, or experiences from your Christian life.
tawny
Acquainted Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

My testimony

Post by tawny »

My Testimony

I was born on January 29, 1970 to an agnostic father who was raised Lutheran and to a disillusioned mother who was raised Assembly of God. Once I was born, my mother decided that I needed to go to church, so she started to attend a church near our home, which was an Evangelical Free church. Through the sermons she heard at that church, the Holy Spirit broke the chains of legalism she had been raised in, and her faith began to grow.
My brother was born 2 years later, and my mother faithfully took us both to church with her, but my father never attended.

During my infant to adolescent years, life was really good. We lived in a nice suburban neighborhood, I had three girls my age that lived in my neighborhood with whom I played and went to school. We all went so Sunday School, and had similar home lives: Americana in a nutshell. At the end of my 5th grade year, all of these girls and their families moved away. This shook my world. I didn’t have other friends at school; I hadn’t needed them. So, I entered 6th grade at the same school I had attended since Kindergarten with no friends. I started the year eating lunch alone and sitting alone on the playground. Eventually one girl started to invite me to eat and play with her. She introduced me to her friends. These girls were different from my old friends. They swore, and they took the name of God in vain. My mother had drilled it in my head that if you took the Lord’s name in vain, He would strike you dead. But, I wanted to be accepted by these girls. I vividly remember being in gym class, garnishing all the “courage” I could muster, and saying “Oh my G**” for the first time in my life. That willful decision was the beginning of a big downwards spiral for me. I started to do the things my new friends were doing (swearing, smoking, etc.), but I felt so guilty. I remember being at church and saying to God, “Stop making me feel guilty! I just want to do what I want to do! Get out of my life!” And you know what? He obliged. I should have been scared to death, but instead, I was relieved.

During this same time, my parents were having marital issues. My dad agreed to go to counseling with my mom’s pastor, and during these sessions my dad was saved. The difference in his life was amazing. He turned from being a distant man my brother and I were afraid to talk to into a warm, kind, gentle man I adored.

This change in my dad did not change me, however. During the summer between my 6th and 7th grade year, my brother and I stayed home alone while my parents worked. My parents rule was that we were to not have people over while they were gone. One day, I had been out and about in the neighborhood, and the most popular boy at school had asked me to hang out with him and some older boys he was with. Two of the older boys asked if they could come over to my house. I broke my parents rule and said yes. While at my house, they raped me. And sadly later that summer while hanging out with a boy I thought was my friend, he raped me as well. These experiences led me further down the wrong path. Instead of turning to God or my parents, I turned to alcohol and drugs. When I was 17, I finally got to the end of my rope. I believe God gave me a clear vision of my being at a crossroads. I could choose to keep going the way I was going, or I could choose to come back to God. Praise the Lord, I chose Jesus. There is so much more to this story, but I am at the end of the page. I am thankful that God never gave up on me, and still hasn’t.
For these troubles and sufferings of ours are, after all, quite small, and won't last very long. Yet this short time of distress will result in God's richest blessings upon us forever and ever. 2 Corinthians 4:17 Living Bible
theophilus
Valued Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: My testimony

Post by theophilus »

Thank you for sharing this. I will be praying for you that God will help you to live for him and get to know him better.
God wants full custody of his children, not just visits on Sunday.
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

I had goosebumps reading your story and am glad you found God again. Without Him we go down.
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

Powerful testimony and reminds me of some of mine (mainly not having friends then got mixed up with the wrong ones and the drugs and alcohol)

God bless you

Dan
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
Silvertusk
Board Moderator

Post by Silvertusk »

tawny wrote:My Testimony

I was born on January 29, 1970 to an agnostic father who was raised Lutheran and to a disillusioned mother who was raised Assembly of God. Once I was born, my mother decided that I needed to go to church, so she started to attend a church near our home, which was an Evangelical Free church. Through the sermons she heard at that church, the Holy Spirit broke the chains of legalism she had been raised in, and her faith began to grow.
My brother was born 2 years later, and my mother faithfully took us both to church with her, but my father never attended.

During my infant to adolescent years, life was really good. We lived in a nice suburban neighborhood, I had three girls my age that lived in my neighborhood with whom I played and went to school. We all went so Sunday School, and had similar home lives: Americana in a nutshell. At the end of my 5th grade year, all of these girls and their families moved away. This shook my world. I didn’t have other friends at school; I hadn’t needed them. So, I entered 6th grade at the same school I had attended since Kindergarten with no friends. I started the year eating lunch alone and sitting alone on the playground. Eventually one girl started to invite me to eat and play with her. She introduced me to her friends. These girls were different from my old friends. They swore, and they took the name of God in vain. My mother had drilled it in my head that if you took the Lord’s name in vain, He would strike you dead. But, I wanted to be accepted by these girls. I vividly remember being in gym class, garnishing all the “courage” I could muster, and saying “Oh my G**” for the first time in my life. That willful decision was the beginning of a big downwards spiral for me. I started to do the things my new friends were doing (swearing, smoking, etc.), but I felt so guilty. I remember being at church and saying to God, “Stop making me feel guilty! I just want to do what I want to do! Get out of my life!” And you know what? He obliged. I should have been scared to death, but instead, I was relieved.

During this same time, my parents were having marital issues. My dad agreed to go to counseling with my mom’s pastor, and during these sessions my dad was saved. The difference in his life was amazing. He turned from being a distant man my brother and I were afraid to talk to into a warm, kind, gentle man I adored.

This change in my dad did not change me, however. During the summer between my 6th and 7th grade year, my brother and I stayed home alone while my parents worked. My parents rule was that we were to not have people over while they were gone. One day, I had been out and about in the neighborhood, and the most popular boy at school had asked me to hang out with him and some older boys he was with. Two of the older boys asked if they could come over to my house. I broke my parents rule and said yes. While at my house, they raped me. And sadly later that summer while hanging out with a boy I thought was my friend, he raped me as well. These experiences led me further down the wrong path. Instead of turning to God or my parents, I turned to alcohol and drugs. When I was 17, I finally got to the end of my rope. I believe God gave me a clear vision of my being at a crossroads. I could choose to keep going the way I was going, or I could choose to come back to God. Praise the Lord, I chose Jesus. There is so much more to this story, but I am at the end of the page. I am thankful that God never gave up on me, and still hasn’t.

Wonderful testimony - I want to hear the rest !!!!
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

A muslim scholar once said to me, "I have studied all the major religions of the world and yet I could not find one example of pure divine love as is portrayed in the parable of prodigal son. It is the greatest example there is."

God bless you Tawny, you are in God's hands and you are his child. Let not anyone ever tell you any different.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Great testimony DS! :)
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

Kurieuo wrote:Great testimony DS! :)
arrrghhh... i thought this was someone else's and made a muddle :P
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Christian: No

Post by Storyteller »

Nessa wrote:
Whose did you think it was?

And where is yours huh?
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

Storyteller wrote:
Nessa wrote:

And where is yours huh?
ok..I hate resorting to the truth but here goes.. ugh lol

I thought it was neo x.. I didnt read properly and saw him on here and somehow thought it was his. I read about the rape incidences though thought the situations were a bit weird for a guy to be in (not that guys dont get raped but the circumstances tawny presented etc) and started to feel bad cos I had felt rubbed the wrong way by him in a eariler thread. I felt him to be a bit cold and uncaring in his response so I posed a senerio about rape and thought crap.. so was apologizing in this then realised my mistake..

Moral of the story: geez nessa.. read it properly! y#-o
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

Nessa wrote:
Storyteller wrote:
Nessa wrote:

And where is yours huh?
ok..I hate resorting to the truth but here goes.. ugh lol

I thought it was neo x.. I didnt read properly and saw him on here and somehow thought it was his. I read about the rape incidences though thought the situations were a bit weird for a guy to be in (not that guys dont get raped but the circumstances tawny presented etc) and started to feel bad cos I had felt rubbed the wrong way by him in a eariler thread. I felt him to be a bit cold and uncaring in his response so I posed a senerio about rape and thought crap.. so was apologizing in this then realised my mistake..

Moral of the story: geez nessa.. read it properly! y#-o
FWIW D.stones, as I child I was nearly molested but fortunately escaped that ill fate. It was a cousin brother of mine. But the whole thing scarred me mentally enough that for some years I was really close to losing it, I was so confused about my sexual orientation.

So may be I came across as a bit cold and uncaring but there are other sides to a person than their words, there's always more.

P.S You find me "cold and uncaring", wait till you meet FL :mrgreen:
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

FYI,

FL hasn't been online for a while. We sent him off for sensitivity training. ;)
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

And D220?
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Kurieuo wrote:And D220?
Danieltwotwenty left again. Not sure if he will decide to come back this time.

And I reread what I wrote about FL. I don't want to give the impression that FL was banned. He wasn't. Sending him off to sensitivity training, kinda sounds like we banned him.

FL and D220 both left on their own. And both are still members here, and can come back anytime they choose.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony