Books ( or anything else) that changed our lives

Share how you became a Christian, or experiences from your Christian life.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Books ( or anything else) that changed our lives

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

Canuckster1127 wrote:Ellen White has some good materials. She also has some that in my opinion are a bit off the wall.

The issue I have with how some Seventh Day Adventists use her material is that she's treated as if she's scripture itself.
Woah BART!! Didn't know you were still posting here, thought you left for good. Glad to see you, since I deleted FB I was missing hearing your thoughts. :ebiggrin:
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
Starhunter
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Starhunter »

RickD wrote: Starhunter,

Ellen White was a false prophet. Just do a simple google search and see for yourself.

There's enough here to throw up a red flag:
http://www.evangelicaloutreach.org/white.htm
Thanks for that, I am so grateful you led me to Ellen White in the first place.

I noticed that the first criticism they made of her writings was that she saw the temple in heaven whereas John did not.
Well it depends at what time in history or the future the vision is portrayed.
The temple in heaven exists now, and will be there for about a thousand years, but after the judgement and the establishment of the New Jerusalem, it is gone, because the ministry of that temple is over.

Revelation 11:19 John sees the temple and the ark with the law of God in it.
Chapter 21:22 John sees no more temple in heaven.

But I'll keep you posted if I find something odd.

PS. By the way, I just checked out the second criticism, that she says the greatest commandment is the Sabbath in the Decalogue, whereas Christ says otherwise. They claim it is Christ vs Ellen. but I read up the reference and found out that she uses the term in that the fourth commandment is the largest of all the ten, which it definitely is.

Strike three and the link is out for me. I've just read the next five criticisms and they are without any Biblical support. So it is not likely that with false accusations that I will be listening to the comments of the clergy. Remember it was the clergy who ordered the death of Jesus, the disciples, the early Christian church, and all those that perished under the Papacy about 60 million. All they that live godly lives will suffer persecution.
Starhunter
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Starhunter »

Canuckster1127 wrote:Ellen White has some good materials. She also has some that in my opinion are a bit off the wall.

The issue I have with how some Seventh Day Adventists use her material is that she's treated as if she's scripture itself.
Yea, that would be a mistake, the Bible should take priority for sure.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Starhunter wrote:
RickD wrote: Starhunter,

Ellen White was a false prophet. Just do a simple google search and see for yourself.

There's enough here to throw up a red flag:
http://www.evangelicaloutreach.org/white.htm
Thanks for that, I am so grateful you led me to Ellen White in the first place.

I noticed that the first criticism they made of her writings was that she saw the temple in heaven whereas John did not.
Well it depends at what time in history or the future the vision is portrayed.
The temple in heaven exists now, and will be there for about a thousand years, but after the judgement and the establishment of the New Jerusalem, it is gone, because the ministry of that temple is over.

Revelation 11:19 John sees the temple and the ark with the law of God in it.
Chapter 21:22 John sees no more temple in heaven.

But I'll keep you posted if I find something odd.

PS. By the way, I just checked out the second criticism, that she says the greatest commandment is the Sabbath in the Decalogue, whereas Christ says otherwise. They claim it is Christ vs Ellen. but I read up the reference and found out that she uses the term in that the fourth commandment is the largest of all the ten, which it definitely is.

Strike three and the link is out for me. I've just read the next five criticisms and they are without any Biblical support. So it is not likely that with false accusations that I will be listening to the comments of the clergy. Remember it was the clergy who ordered the death of Jesus, the disciples, the early Christian church, and all those that perished under the Papacy about 60 million. All they that live godly lives will suffer persecution.
My point is that she's a false prophet. I simply wanted to show you that. I bet if you looked at what Harold Camping wrote, you'd find some biblical stuff mixed in with his heretical teachings. But he was a false prophet.

Look, if you want to study Ellen white, go right ahead. But please use discernment.

As Bart (Canuckster1127) said, some of what she said is off the wall.

If you can't discern what's biblical in her writings, you're probably better off avoiding her altogether.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Well, my wife wouldn't let me buy The Shack.
He was convinced it was heretical by what she heard.
Maybe I can buy it in secret.

PS. Welcome back Canuck.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Danieltwotwenty wrote:

Woah BART!! Didn't know you were still posting here, thought you left for good. Glad to see you, since I deleted FB I was missing hearing your thoughts. :ebiggrin:
LOL. I deleted my account on Facebook too.
Only, I had to have it again for business sakes.
Hate the damn thing though. Eck.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

I still lurk and check on notices for old threads when I get them. ;)
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Canuckster1127 wrote:I still lurk and check on notices for old threads when I get them. ;)
The phantom returns!
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by 1over137 »

The book that changed my life?

When I went through Tim Keller's - The Reason for God, quickly and thoroughly, my life started to change. Falling to depression (other problems contributed too) and then rescued from it by God.

It's a good book. Passages on suffering and all.
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
Rob
Valued Member

Post by Rob »

1over137 wrote:The book that changed my life?

When I went through Tim Keller's - The Reason for God, quickly and thoroughly, my life started to change. Falling to depression (other problems contributed too) and then rescued from it by God.

It's a good book. Passages on suffering and all.
Tim Keller's great! I was hooked on his sermons a while back.
EssentialSacrifice
Advanced Senior Member

Post by EssentialSacrifice »

Well, I'm pretty new here and am unaware of anyone's practicing faith. It really is of no concern, as it to seems to me all faiths who hold to true Christian tenets are truly Christian. I'm Catholic, and a true believer that you are too, if you believe the Creed. Catholic is, in my view, nothing other than a persons' universal acceptance that there is a God and He is in three persons simultaneously and Christ is the one true person of the Trinity that came to earth to spread the Good News (in a very small nutshell !)

That aside, (only in relation to the books I have read) with the most profound influence on my personal religious journey...

The Mystical City of God by Sister Maria of Agreda. Written in the mid seventeenth century, these books are the classic definition of the entire life of the Mary, the Mother of God.

Whereas other books typically work off of time tested materials of previous works, this book is of mystical significance as it is the direct result of Maria of Agreda writing everything (over 2600 pages in 4 volumes) under ecstasy (holy visions). If you have a desire to learn about the most significant all human birth in the history of mankind, this volume of works is for you. However, I must say it is written in a profoundly difficult to read venue and is was, for me, a frustratingly long and arduous read. Worth every minute, but challenging, as a read from first to last pages. It was easiest to read aloud as having a conversation.

The Poem of the ManGod by Maria Valtorta. Written between 1944 to 1947, is another visionary based volume of 5 books (some 3500 pages) based on the life of Jesus, His growing up and ministry and death. It is the exact opposite of City of God in as much as it is so flowery and descriptive a volume of work, one must slow down so as to not overreach the nexy paragraph without fully digesting the last. A new friend, Storyteller, understands this completely. The info is so absorbing you simply cannot get enough in fast enough, and because it is so easy a read, the ability to "go fast" is always present.

I highly suggest either of these and would happily entertain questions in their regard.
Trust the past to God’s mercy, the present to God’s love, and the future to God’s providence. -St Augustine
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Christian: No

Post by Storyteller »

I do indeed understand :)

I may well give them a go (but I must finish the shroud thread first :D)

Not a book that changed my life but was a wonderful read was Anna and Mister God. Beautifully written and a really interesting look at God through the eyes of (a very smart) 6 year old girl. She loved maths, philosophy and God and I think could teach us all a thing or two about faith. Made me laugh, question, hold my breath, and cry.
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
EssentialSacrifice
Advanced Senior Member

Hey Stell,

I think you're reading the NT, as I saw in another post, very wise. IMO establishing a comfort zone with the understanding of the NT, questioning readings that are unclear, absorbing all you can from the Word of God is so much more important than any auxiliary readings both to your intimate knowledge and long term soul conditioning. I think it says good things about where your at religiously and your basic desire to learn from the best sources.

When you feel comfortable with what you have learned, then go to, again IMO, the Poem of the ManGod. The story begins with Anne and Joachim pre birth of Mary to the end of Acts. The most amazing things will transpire from these volumes, but most certainly, that much better understood and appreciated with all the NT knowledge under your belt as is possible.

I hope we're together here long enough to get your impressions / thoughts on some of the works here. It is exciting to feel your excitement.
Trust the past to God’s mercy, the present to God’s love, and the future to God’s providence. -St Augustine
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Christian: No

Post by Storyteller »

I am indeed ES, call me Annette btw.

It just amazes me that I can feel this close to God, and feel this loved, and thats all without reading Scripture! I am working through the NT first as I want to know more about Christ, so where better to start? I hope to learn enough that I can call passages to mind and quote them.

I will look linto the poem, I love poetry, so to read a poem about something like this will be awesome.
Thank you for your kind words, my friend, your encouragement means a lot and I look forward to sharing my thoughts with you. Right, back to the shroud thread :D
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
EssentialSacrifice
Advanced Senior Member

Annette :wave: thanks, I'm jeffrey :-D

here is a brief outlook of Poem. http://valtorta.org/the_poem__freeonlin ... goffer.asp. It is very intimately involved in the personalities surrounding Jesus in His time on earth. This is just a sampling, but you'll get an immediate sense if it's something you may want to investigate.

and I look forward to sharing my thoughts with you dittos young lady.