Freerice.com

Christian ministries and missions that are inspiring or need prayer, as well as other social justice causes where Christians are living God's love and making a difference.
TellMe~Ily
Acquainted Member
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:13 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Texas..hey y'all ;D
Contact:

Freerice.com

Postby TellMe~Ily » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:51 am

http://freerice.com/

I'm not sure if this goes here.
Anywho,I think you should all take a good look at the website and try to donate at least one hundred grains. (That's ten questions answered correctly)

User avatar
ageofknowledge
Esteemed Senior Member
Posts: 1086
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:08 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Southern California

Re: Freerice.com

Postby ageofknowledge » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:05 pm

How many grains of rice do you think it would take to feed just one person for their whole life? How much would that cost even if a person could exist solely on rice, water, and oxygen? Doesn't it make more sense not to birth children into famine war torn countries dominated by wickedness and false religious systems of belief where they grow up and have many more exactly like them? I believe that it does. How much does it cost to fix just one person so they can't have children? The correct answer is much less. But go on and answer questions moving 100 grains of rice if it makes you feel good. I hate suffering like you do and believe we have a mandate from God to address it but believe in order for it to end we need to condition that aid with birth control to prevent, rather than conenable, this tragic situation from escalating further. Simply coenabling a cycle that multiplies exponentially in many more babies that don't get fed, cared for, or raised right is ultimately evil imo.

nd925
Familiar Member
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:30 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Re: Freerice.com

Postby nd925 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:18 am

Age,
She's at least trying to do her part and help. What are you doing, other than complaining about everything? I don't think she needed your lecture. She's a young girl trying to help others. She should be commended for her efforts and good heart to care enough. I think you owe her an apology, you did not reflect a good Christian with your reply.

Good job TellMe, keep up the good work.

User avatar
zoegirl
Old School
Posts: 3927
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:59 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: east coast

Re: Freerice.com

Postby zoegirl » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:33 am

I agree, Tellme 'fun site
"And we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Jesus Christ"

User avatar
ageofknowledge
Esteemed Senior Member
Posts: 1086
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:08 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Southern California

Re: Freerice.com

Postby ageofknowledge » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:00 pm

nd925 wrote:Age,
She's at least trying to do her part and help. What are you doing, other than complaining about everything? I don't think she needed your lecture. She's a young girl trying to help others. She should be commended for her efforts and good heart to care enough. I think you owe her an apology, you did not reflect a good Christian with your reply.

Good job TellMe, keep up the good work.


Well, I volunteer at the church food bank once a week and cofounded Christians Helping Our World which is a new organization with no budget or corporate structure but just a way for volunteers to get together and work in ways to help their world both politically and non-politically. I also volunteer with Nations University to help Gospel education and efforts in Africa a continent that certainly has its share of sick and poor people. In the past, I've worked hard to take computers from businesses and retrofit them and place them in Teen Challenges from San Francisco to Tijuana. I've also worked in gang ministry for four years at Victory Outreach dealing with the poor.

I care very much friend and I'm not criticizing her though it sounded like it to you. I'm just pointing out that feeding the problem doesn't make it better. You need to fix the problem. You can, with a good heart and for all the right reasons, end up doing something the wrong way and getting a worse and undesirable result than what you started with. Actually more suffering and more dying and more people going to Hell. That's what I was addressing. I think she has a great heart to post that. I just don't see it as a solution in and of itself but an opportunity to share what I think should be rolled up with it: birth control.

If you want to be angry person with me because I'm being logical and caring (not just caring) you can, but I hope you'll reconsider your emotional position toward me as I'm being authentic in my response that cosigning a position that actually leads to more suffering because it is politically correct and I am expected to do so is not the way friend. And yes, I'm going through aweful tribulations right now.

Are you going through the terrible things I am? What are you doing for the poor short of answering ten questions to send a hundred grains of rice to someone? I've been completely transparent and honest with you and would like to know since you've set yourself up in the seat of judgment against me. Thank you, peace, and I hope you can find a way to change your approach back to a logical and caring one.

nd925
Familiar Member
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:30 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Re: Freerice.com

Postby nd925 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:24 pm

Age, I stand corrected on you not doing anything other than complaining and I apologize for it. Sounds like you are definitely doing your share and I commend you for that. I'm not angry with you or anyone else for that matter, I just thought you came across in a harsh manner to a young girl (I believe her profile says she's 13) that is just trying do her part to help. I think we need to encourage and lift up our young people when they try to make a difference, not smash their spirit so they won't want to do anything. Forgive me taking your comments the wrong way.
Your reality of the issue may be valid on all parts. I agree that just feeding the problem isn't going to solve anything. But that is one of the many cogs that will be needed to fix the problem.
I don't dare judge anyone, I have a big enough plank in my own eye, however I will defend those that are being treated unfairly.
Age, I will pray for you and your situation, keep in mind as the song says, "after the testing comes the blessing."
God Bless.

User avatar
ageofknowledge
Esteemed Senior Member
Posts: 1086
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:08 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Southern California

Re: Freerice.com

Postby ageofknowledge » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:36 pm

nd925 wrote:Age, I stand corrected on you not doing anything other than complaining and I apologize for it. Sounds like you are definitely doing your share and I commend you for that. I'm not angry with you or anyone else for that matter, I just thought you came across in a harsh manner to a young girl (I believe her profile says she's 13) that is just trying do her part to help. I think we need to encourage and lift up our young people when they try to make a difference, not smash their spirit so they won't want to do anything. Forgive me taking your comments the wrong way.
Your reality of the issue may be valid on all parts. I agree that just feeding the problem isn't going to solve anything. But that is one of the many cogs that will be needed to fix the problem.
I don't dare judge anyone, I have a big enough plank in my own eye, however I will defend those that are being treated unfairly.
Age, I will pray for you and your situation, keep in mind as the song says, "after the testing comes the blessing."
God Bless.


Nd, sans-snide remarks, do you think birth control is a plus when bundled with aid or a negative when bundled with it. I believe it is a plus.

nd925
Familiar Member
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:30 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Re: Freerice.com

Postby nd925 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:48 pm

Age, I have no problem with birth control being bundled with aid.

User avatar
ageofknowledge
Esteemed Senior Member
Posts: 1086
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:08 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Southern California

Re: Freerice.com

Postby ageofknowledge » Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:10 pm

nd925 wrote:Age, I have no problem with birth control being bundled with aid.


Cool. I think the most good comes from doing exactly that.

I would be interested in knowing if there's a legitimate argument to the contrary to evaluate and what that would like if anyone wants to bring it.

TellMe~Ily
Acquainted Member
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:13 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Texas..hey y'all ;D
Contact:

Re: Freerice.com

Postby TellMe~Ily » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:46 am

ageofknowledge wrote:How many grains of rice do you think it would take to feed just one person for their whole life? How much would that cost even if a person could exist solely on rice, water, and oxygen? Doesn't it make more sense not to birth children into famine war torn countries dominated by wickedness and false religious systems of belief where they grow up and have many more exactly like them? I believe that it does. How much does it cost to fix just one person so they can't have children? The correct answer is much less. But go on and answer questions moving 100 grains of rice if it makes you feel good. I hate suffering like you do and believe we have a mandate from God to address it but believe in order for it to end we need to condition that aid with birth control to prevent, rather than conenable, this tragic situation from escalating further. Simply coenabling a cycle that multiplies exponentially in many more babies that don't get fed, cared for, or raised right is ultimately evil imo.


I understand what you're saying.
Is that an excuse to stand back and let them go hungry until the solution that would work best has happened? I don't think so.
No,giving them rice isn't the big genius answer to world hunger,but you know what,we're feeding someone. Until all those poverty-stricken countries find Jesus and something is done to stop the continuing births,I will do the very least that I can.

TellMe~Ily
Acquainted Member
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:13 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Texas..hey y'all ;D
Contact:

Re: Freerice.com

Postby TellMe~Ily » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:49 am

Thank you nd925 and zoegirl! God Bless You :amen:

User avatar
ageofknowledge
Esteemed Senior Member
Posts: 1086
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:08 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Southern California

Re: Freerice.com

Postby ageofknowledge » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:15 pm

TellMe~Ily wrote:
ageofknowledge wrote:How many grains of rice do you think it would take to feed just one person for their whole life? How much would that cost even if a person could exist solely on rice, water, and oxygen? Doesn't it make more sense not to birth children into famine war torn countries dominated by wickedness and false religious systems of belief where they grow up and have many more exactly like them? I believe that it does. How much does it cost to fix just one person so they can't have children? The correct answer is much less. But go on and answer questions moving 100 grains of rice if it makes you feel good. I hate suffering like you do and believe we have a mandate from God to address it but believe in order for it to end we need to condition that aid with birth control to prevent, rather than conenable, this tragic situation from escalating further. Simply coenabling a cycle that multiplies exponentially in many more babies that don't get fed, cared for, or raised right is ultimately evil imo.


I understand what you're saying.
Is that an excuse to stand back and let them go hungry until the solution that would work best has happened? I don't think so.
No,giving them rice isn't the big genius answer to world hunger,but you know what,we're feeding someone. Until all those poverty-stricken countries find Jesus and something is done to stop the continuing births,I will do the very least that I can.


No it is not. I agree we should try to help them best we can with what we have now and feeding them now begins the recovery process. And that's of utmost importance. But if it stops there it ultimately results in a worse situation. And that's worth pointing out. I'm glad you see that. Understanding a situation is important to solving it effectively.

Gesture
Newbie Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 9:22 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: Freerice.com

Postby Gesture » Tue May 10, 2011 9:30 am

ageofknowledge wrote:Lecture


The sin of Sodom and Gomorrah wasn't the sexual immorality, the homosexuality, or murderous peoples.
It was the greed of men, not helping the poor, and the sick.

I agree, we should be handing out Condoms and the word of God, but people want to have sex with their wives and their husbands... or whatever... They're going to do it regardless........... :shakehead:

Gesture
Newbie Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 9:22 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: Freerice.com

Postby Gesture » Tue May 10, 2011 9:36 am

Question to OP:

Does this really work? I am over 200+....
Will they really be donating this much food???? I could do this all day! O_O

User avatar
Canuckster1127
Old School
Posts: 5308
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:31 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Tulsa, OK

Re: Freerice.com

Postby Canuckster1127 » Tue May 10, 2011 6:35 pm

Gesture wrote:Question to OP:

Does this really work? I am over 200+....
Will they really be donating this much food???? I could do this all day! O_O


According to Snopes this is legitimate.

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/charity/freerice.asp
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender

http://bartsbarometer.com/


Return to “Ministries and Missions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest