You guys ready for the coronavirus?

Discussions about politics and goings on around the world. (Please keep discussions civil!)
Philip
Site Owner
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: You guys ready for the coronavirus?

Post by Philip »

OH, brother. Obviously, EVERYONE here has biases - just depends mostly upon how they lean in values, and how consistently. None of those I tend to agree with don't sometimes blunder, speak dubiously, etc. In fact, there is legitimate criticism to be found for all news sources. But when I see someone only support and fail to criticize there own favorites, or almost uniformly ignore when those they dislike get it right, or when their favorites are wrong, they fail to criticize or acknowledge - that's the kind of bias that disturbs me. This is not a world of saints and sinners - it's one of ALL sinners - meaning, there are always important nuances that should be considered on all sides. It's not terribly helpful to constantly make blanket statements that only demonize on group or side. But as for this Q conspiracy stuff, it would appear that those across our G&S political spectrum see right through it!
edwardmurphy
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by edwardmurphy »

1over137 wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:29 amEvery one here in Slovakia wears a mask. It is restriction also from our government
The problem with that here is that we don't have nearly enough masks for everybody. For that reason the government has asked people to refrain from using them unless they're actually sick. The idea was to ensure that there were enough left for sick people and medical professionals. Unfortunately people hoarded anyway and that, combined with massive demand from medical professionals, has created situations like this.
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Here, in the city, few wear masks. The ones that do I think likely have immune problems - and hopefully aren't sick. Least for now, if I can keep the proper social, I don't wear a mask. But if I had to commute on public transportation or fly anywhere, I definitely would. But I do wear disposable gloves - easy to peel off inside / out after shopping. I wonder about mail - though we've wipe it down. Again, today, I saw many people taking chances. Putting their paws all over who knows what on touch screens for retail checkout. :shock:
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

DBowling wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:20 am
Kurieuo wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:22 am I don't know why you and DB are so sensitive to CNN being called out.
I have no problem calling out CNN when they are propagating misinformation.
... think Kavanaugh...
CNN was not what my post was about.

My post was about the real danger that the alt-right poses.
I was simply pointing out that comparing either CNN or Fox to Q and the alt-right is ridiculous.
That's kind of like comparing either Trump or AOC to Hitler.

As we have seen on our very own boards, Q and the alt-right are able to brainwash some people (including people that I know personally) into believing and propagating hate and lies.
And normalizing and minimizing the harm that the alt-right does to our society is dangerous.

My post was about recognizing the very real danger that the alt-right poses. The recent increase in white supremacist hate crimes and murders in our country is very well documented.
And the dangerous ideology of the alt-right needs to be confronted and resisted, not normalized.
"Alt-right" by most laymens is generally considered to be anyone who'd vote Trump, are "climate change deniers", Youtube personalities who are on the right, etc. I know, because I have family who often label such alt-right. So perhaps you can give examples of who you think would be "alt-right"?

Let me start with one Candice Owens, who ironically has been labelled such. She's said white supremacy would not make her list of the top 100 issues facing her community and other communities of color in the U.S. As I see matter, it is far and wide rejected by most regardless of political affilation.
Last edited by Kurieuo on Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

One of the most informative things I've seen about the virus.
1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by 1over137 »

edwardmurphy wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:26 am
1over137 wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:29 amEvery one here in Slovakia wears a mask. It is restriction also from our government
The problem with that here is that we don't have nearly enough masks for everybody. For that reason the government has asked people to refrain from using them unless they're actually sick. The idea was to ensure that there were enough left for sick people and medical professionals. Unfortunately people hoarded anyway and that, combined with massive demand from medical professionals, has created situations like this.
We also do no have here for everybody. People make them themselves. And many volunteers sew them and give elderly. We here try not to infect others by tiny droplets when speaking, etc
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
DBowling
Ultimate Member

Post by DBowling »

Kurieuo wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:34 pm
Kurieuo wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:22 am I don't know why you and DB are so sensitive to CNN being called out.
... think Kavanaugh...

I was simply pointing out that comparing either CNN or Fox to Q and the alt-right is ridiculous.

As we have seen on our very own boards, Q and the alt-right are able to brainwash some people (including people that I know personally) into believing and propagating hate and lies.
And normalizing and minimizing the harm that the alt-right does to our society is dangerous.

My post was about recognizing the very real danger that the alt-right poses. The recent increase in white supremacist hate crimes and murders in our country is very well documented.
And the dangerous ideology of the alt-right needs to be confronted and resisted, not normalized.
"Alt-right" by most laymens is generally considered to be anyone who'd vote Trump, are "climate change deniers", Youtube personalities who are on the right, etc. I know, because I have family who often label such alt-right. So perhaps you can give examples of who you think would be "alt-right"?

Let me start with one Candice Owens, who ironically has been labelled such. She's said white supremacy would not make her list of the top 100 issues facing her community and other communities of color in the U.S. As I see matter, it is far and wide rejected by most regardless of political affilation.
I participated in discussion threads some time last year regarding the alt-right, its lies, its conspiracy theories, its proponents, and its roots in white supremacist ideology.

Perhaps one of the mods can point to some of those discussions.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

DBowling wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:51 pm
Kurieuo wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:34 pm
... think Kavanaugh...

I participated in discussion threads some time last year regarding the alt-right, its lies, its conspiracy theories, its proponents, and its roots in white supremacist ideology.

Perhaps one of the mods can point to some of those discussions.
I don’t know which threads they were. Maybe try a search.

Edit:

DBowling,

I just did a search of your posts. I looked at pages 1-31 of your posts, which took me back to November 2018. I looked at the thread title of each post, and didn’t see anything resembling a white supremacist type thread.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

The media just loves buzzwords (alt-right, etc.)! Then it's easy for them to categorize, demonize or easily dismiss the credibility of whatever persons or groups without truly engaging in the details or nuances.

I used to know a lot of reporters because one was a roommate - plus I played softball every Sunday with a bunch of them that all worked for a national media company. Typically, they were relatively young and just looking for any tidbit to fill space, or constantly concerned about feeding their ego by getting ANYTHING they could into print. And they seemed to have little sense of history or balanced views. They never wanted to stand out by having a viewpoint that would be seen as unpopular with their peers - the bunch of them were like one big clique. And as is so typical, it's often pretty young people who are first gathering the news. And it doesn't help that today's deadlines for whatever goes on air or online are incredibly short. So, the constant desire to scoop or get everyone talking about some controversial issue or story is now on 24/7 and online steroids - without much time for editors to consider accuracy, fairness, etc. Media has become really scary.
edwardmurphy
Ultimate Member

Post by edwardmurphy »

DBowling
Ultimate Member

Post by DBowling »

edwardmurphy wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:32 pm It's in this general area:

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=42940&p=246098&hil ... er#p246098
Thanks Ed :)
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

Oh, shock jock gay conservative Milo, and Breitbart are alt-right. Got it. It seems clear to me that "Alt-Right" is just a label used to smear and stigmatize rather than deal intellectually with issues.

In reality, far far away from CNN's created reality... Trump isn't a white supremist going to bring revive Nazism in the US and 50% of the US aren't deplorables.

For myself, no disrespect intended, but CNN and Q are still in the same bin.
DBowling
Ultimate Member

Post by DBowling »

Kurieuo wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:32 pm Oh, shock jock gay conservative Milo, and Breitbart are alt-right. Got it. It seems clear to me that "Alt-Right" is just a label used to smear and stigmatize rather than deal intellectually with issues.
If you really believe that nonsense, that just proves that you are no where close to "getting it".

I believe you are an intelligent person.
Do your own research.
What ideologies do those who self identify as "alt-right" propagate?
I provide a number of links in message 233 of the thread Ed pointed out.
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=42940&hilit=spence ... 25#p246078

As followers of Jesus Christ we should be opposing lies, hatred, bigotry, and racism... not normalizing it.
edwardmurphy
Ultimate Member

Post by edwardmurphy »

Kurieuo wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:32 pm...and 50% of the US aren't deplorables.
Read this:
The part of Hillary Clinton's speech that everyone, including CNN, quoted over and over and over...

You know, to just be grossly generalistic, you could put half of Trump's supporters into what I call the basket of deplorables. (Laughter/applause) Right? (Laughter/applause) They're racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic – Islamophobic – you name it. And unfortunately, there are people like that. And he has lifted them up. He has given voice to their websites that used to only have 11,000 people – now have 11 million. He tweets and retweets their offensive hateful mean-spirited rhetoric. Now, some of those folks – they are irredeemable, but thankfully, they are not America.
According to you she said that half the US are deplorables. According to the transcript she first stated that she was being grossly generalistic, and she then said that about half of Trump's base are racists, sexists, xenophobes, and Islamophobes. Your claim is already in trouble, since you said she called 50% of Americans "deplorables." Trump got less than 50% of the popular vote, and his true base is something like 35% of voters. Half of that is 17.5%, not 50%. So Hillary Clinton actually said that - at most - 17.5% of American voters are racist, sexist, xenophobic, and Islamophobic deplorables. Personally, I think that's probably a pretty good estimate. You may disagree, but then you don't live here, now do you?

But wait, there's more. Read this:
The next paragraph of Hillary Clinton's speech that hardly anyone quoted, either because they were partisan liars or because, like CNN, they figured the "Clinton gaffe" narrative would get them more clicks...

But the "other" basket – the other basket – and I know because I look at this crowd I see friends from all over America here: I see friends from Florida and Georgia and South Carolina and Texas and — as well as, you know, New York and California — but that "other" basket of people are people who feel the government has let them down, the economy has let them down, nobody cares about them, nobody worries about what happens to their lives and their futures; and they're just desperate for change. It doesn't really even matter where it comes from. They don't buy everything he says, but — he seems to hold out some hope that their lives will be different. They won't wake up and see their jobs disappear, lose a kid to heroin, feel like they're in a dead-end. Those are people we have to understand and empathize with as well.
So not only does she not despise the other 17.5% of Trump's base, she actually understands their reasoning for supporting Sideshow Don and hopes to address their specific concerns. So no, she didn't say that half of America was deplorable or that anyone who supported Trump was deplorable, she said that the racists, sexists, xenophobes, and Islamophobes who flocked to his banner were deplorable.

Stop pushing the lie, K.
Kurieuo wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:32 pmFor myself, no disrespect intended, but CNN and Q are still in the same bin.
Sure, you think that. And you also think that Clinton called half of America deplorable and that the Mueller Investigation was a hoax. You're wrong.
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

DBowling wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:24 pm
Kurieuo wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:32 pm Oh, shock jock gay conservative Milo, and Breitbart are alt-right. Got it. It seems clear to me that "Alt-Right" is just a label used to smear and stigmatize rather than deal intellectually with issues.
If you really believe that nonsense, that just proves that you are no where close to "getting it".

I believe you are an intelligent person.
Do your own research.
What ideologies do those who self identify as "alt-right" propagate?
I provide a number of links in message 233 of the thread Ed pointed out.
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=42940&hilit=spence ... 25#p246078

As followers of Jesus Christ we should be opposing lies, hatred, bigotry, and racism... not normalizing it.
I've followed Milo Yiannopoulos way back when, and despite what MSM would say, I'm 99.9% confident he isn't an alt-right white supremist. I have no idea what you're on about in your last sentence, but I'm not surprised such terms get flippantly tossed around if you value CNN as a source.