You guys ready for the coronavirus?

Discussions about politics and goings on around the world. (Please keep discussions civil!)
Nessa
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: You guys ready for the coronavirus?

Post by Nessa »

1over137 wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:19 pm
Nessa wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:53 am We have lots of toliet paper at our house, if any one wants to make the long trip to NZ in their private jet as others seem to be doing..

We have 8 confirmed cases so far

There's a good 60minute documentary with the Asian expert that led the Sars crisis and he didn't have the 'Don't worry' attitude at all... In fact, the opposite.

Noah built the boat while others laughed....
Nessa, maybe my post was not that clear.
I did not mean - do not worry - do not stay home, do not take precautions...
My aim was to calm down the mind (oh my English..)

We here in Slovakia took hard measures right from the start. Quarantine, mouth protection....
It is expected this will be for 2 months or so till the virus takes its peak.
We do worry about our elders, that is why people do the food shopping for them put it at their gate and leave.
I hope this explains better my attitude.

in italy, sadly, doctors are faced with the situation when they have to choose between dying persons, who to rescue - younger one or older one - it is tough
I was just meaning some people's attitudes, not anyone in particular.

We are up to 11 confirmed cases now as three were added today...

One school boy might also be infected as one of the three infected is his father. If so, his school would be closed for only 48 hours and cleaned. Not really enough...
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

Ok, 12 now...the student tested positive. which mean first school to close in NZ
1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female

Post by 1over137 »

But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
Philip
Site Owner
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Philip »

Ed: anything that's the Administration's fault is Donald J. Trump's fault.
Yes, it's the president's responsibility to respond to incompetence! I don't expect ANY president to be a medical or science expert. But when bad advice and leadership in agencies cause calamity, I expect whatever president to make heads roll and get more-qualified individuals in those positions. Course, there were a lot of unknowns up front - it caught the nations of the world off guard. And yet, key things were known that could have / should have been acted on, to be best prepared as possible.

But as for having a safe vaccine to combat it, it generally takes about 18 months to develop a new vaccine - and to accurately do so, scientists must first know what genetic components are involved, as a vaccine rushed into mass use can cause many deaths - this happened with the swine flu in the '70s (33 people died from the vaccine). And it wasn't until early January, a few weeks after they were actually able to identify the virus, until the Chinese released the virus' genetic sequence. So, that ability wasn't open to experts here until far too late. But key things WERE possible that weren't done - ramping up of preventative measures, travel controls, masks, wipes - all the thing that are almost impossible to get right now, could have been in place FAR quicker. But apparently, scientists have vaccine ready for testing that they think will work.
edwardmurphy
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by edwardmurphy »

Sure, the President needs to respond to incompetence. The CDC was unacceptably slow getting testing up and running, and even now it's far limited and far too slow. That's a problem. But there's another problem. [poop] like this:
The Fake News Media and their partner, the Democrat Party, is doing everything within its semi-considerable power (it used to be greater!) to inflame the CoronaVirus situation, far beyond what the facts would warrant. Surgeon General, “The risk is low to the average American.”

~ Donald J. Trump, 3/9/2020 (6 days before declaring the coronavirus a national emergency)
Prior to that he made countless statements downplaying the risk of the coronavirus and insisting that his Administration had it under control. He didn't start taking it seriously until the middle of March, and even now he's continuing his attacks on the media. The last 6 weeks has been a microcosm of the last 3 years. He tries to spin, misdirect, and lie his way through every crisis, and when he's finally cornered he insists that media reports of his lies, misdirections, and spin are actually all fake news. Consequently he has very little credibility.

The fact is the President is just not a serious, detail-oriented, proactive guy. He's all about flying by the seat of his pants, and then using his media skills to spin his way out of whatever [poop]pile his impulsivity, inattention, and ignorance land him in. For example:

In one of the most important addresses of his Presidency he misread his teleprompter and accidentally, incorrectly informed the world that all trade with Europe was suspended. That can happen. Sometimes people say the wrong word. But serious people are paying attention to what they read, they notice mistakes, and they correct them. Trump didn't pay attention, notice, or correct, and the Dow Jones futures market crashed while he was speaking. The following day was a bloodbath where the Dow lost over 2,000 points. Anyone but the President would have been fired on the spot.

Up until last week Trump consistently downplayed the threat of the coronavirus, and as of the most recent polls I've seen, about 60% of Republicans still don't take the threat seriously. That's going to cost lives.

Trump invoked the Defense Production Act so that factories could be mobilized to produce ventilators, masks, and medical supplies. People were pleased and relieved, at least until he tweeted that he would only use the powers granted in the act in a worst case scenario, which would hopefully never come. This has led people to wonder just what the hell constitutes a worst case scenario, being that the virus is apparently spreading like wildfire, schools and businesses are closed across the country, store shelves are bare, and the Dow is down 30% since mid February.

Trump also said that Navy hospital ships would be deployed immediately to help on the East and West coasts. Turns out they won't be ready for a few weeks.

There's plenty more, but you get the gist.

So when Trump assures us on Twitter that he's spoken to grocery store execs, they're confident that the supply chain will be maintained, and there's no reason to panic do you think people are going to believe him, or keep on hoarding canned goods and toilet paper? I haven't seen bread, toilet paper, or canned goods in a week. Even the flour and yeast are sold out. Single packets of Fleischmann's yeast are being offered at $11+ on eBay. A 3-pack is typically $1.50.

So yeah, I'm guessing it's the latter...
Ged
Established Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Ged »

It took a bit longer to get to the south Pacific. 30 cases in New Zealand today, and just got started yesterday in Samoa an Fiji.

I was looking for guidance and found this. When Martin Luther was dealing with The Black Death plague, he wrote these wise words that can help inform the way we approach things happening in our world right now...
“I shall ask God mercifully to protect us. Then I shall fumigate, help purify the air, administer medicine and take it. I shall avoid places and persons where my presence is not needed in order not to become contaminated and thus perchance inflict and pollute others and so cause their death as a result of my negligence. If God should wish to take me, he will surely find me and I have done what he has expected of me and so I am not responsible for either my own death or the death of others. If my neighbor needs me however I shall not avoid place or person but will go freely as stated above. See this is such a God-fearing faith because it is neither brash nor foolhardy and does not tempt God."

Luther's Works Volume 43 pg 132 the letter "Whether one may flee from a Deadly Plague" written to Rev. Dr. John Hess
Free, printable Bible studies for groups.
www.5loaves2fishes.net/free-resources
edwardmurphy
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by edwardmurphy »

Also, this needs to stop:

The virus has a name. Call it the corona virus like your speech writer said, or call it covid-19. Enough with this "Chinese virus" crap. It's a racist dog whistle and it's doing damage.
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

Ged wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:14 pm It took a bit longer to get to the south Pacific. 30 cases in New Zealand today, and just got started yesterday in Samoa an Fiji.

I was looking for guidance and found this. When Martin Luther was dealing with The Black Death plague, he wrote these wise words that can help inform the way we approach things happening in our world right now...
“I shall ask God mercifully to protect us. Then I shall fumigate, help purify the air, administer medicine and take it. I shall avoid places and persons where my presence is not needed in order not to become contaminated and thus perchance inflict and pollute others and so cause their death as a result of my negligence. If God should wish to take me, he will surely find me and I have done what he has expected of me and so I am not responsible for either my own death or the death of others. If my neighbor needs me however I shall not avoid place or person but will go freely as stated above. See this is such a God-fearing faith because it is neither brash nor foolhardy and does not tempt God."

Luther's Works Volume 43 pg 132 the letter "Whether one may flee from a Deadly Plague" written to Rev. Dr. John Hess
39 now.
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

It went straight from 28 to 39
Ged
Established Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Ged »

Nessa wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:25 pm
Ged wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:14 pm It took a bit longer to get to the south Pacific. 30 cases in New Zealand today, and just got started yesterday in Samoa an Fiji.

39 now.
Yikes! I went to the doctor today, and got stopped at the door. The receptionist asked, "did I have a temperature?" "had I met anyone from overseas?" "cough?" I said, "I think I might have sneezed once yesterday" 8-}2 She gave me a mask, made me put it on, and charged me 50 cents for it.
Free, printable Bible studies for groups.
www.5loaves2fishes.net/free-resources
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Ed: The virus has a name. Call it the corona virus like your speech writer said, or call it covid-19. Enough with this "Chinese virus" crap. It's a racist dog whistle and it's doing damage.
REALLY, Ed - THAT is you focus???!!! Do you bring identity politics into everything? People SHOULD realize and remember exactly where this virus originated and that it likely could have been contained, if only the Chinese GOVERNMENT had not lied - which even demonized the deceased doctor who first blew the whistle on it. Last time I checked, calling out the reality of something - even if merely a place of its origin - is NOT racism (I'm not even sure you know what REAL racism is!). BTW, I don't care what country - even America (if that were is origin) - if we called it "American flu," or whatever U.S. city it originated in!

But beyond simply a shorthand (remember the "Hong Kong flu" (was that racist, too???) for noting the place of origin, it is also useful that people wake up to the dangers of the Chinese GOVERNMENT'S total control, objectives, and dangerous lies, and our dependence upon them in many manufacturing sectors - not the least being drugs and antibiotics.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

edwardmurphy wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:50 pm Also, this needs to stop:

The virus has a name. Call it the corona virus like your speech writer said, or call it covid-19. Enough with this "Chinese virus" crap. It's a racist dog whistle and it's doing damage.
“Kung Flu” has a nice ring to it.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

And Elizabeth Warren does not approve of that post! :lol:
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

Ged wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:35 am
Nessa wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:25 pm

39 now.
Yikes! I went to the doctor today, and got stopped at the door. The receptionist asked, "did I have a temperature?" "had I met anyone from overseas?" "cough?" I said, "I think I might have sneezed once yesterday" 8-}2 She gave me a mask, made me put it on, and charged me 50 cents for it.
Where in NZ are you from?

I haven't seen them wear masks at the main medical centre here in Napier (Hastings stole our hospital)

Charging for masks....hmmmm...
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

RickD wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:38 am
edwardmurphy wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:50 pm Also, this needs to stop:

Maybe they can re do Hong Kong phooey.... Honk Kong fluuey