Mid term USA Elections

Discussions about politics and goings on around the world. (Please keep discussions civil!)
B. W.
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes

Mid term USA Elections

Post by B. W. »

+
What are your thoughts and comments on the USA Midterm Elections finals?

What do you think will happen next?
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Re: Mid term USA Elections

Post by Kurieuo »

Congrats Ed -- it's early, but looks like Dems got the house. Now to try impeach Trump the next couple years over tax returns, Russia collusion, etc. ;)
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
edwardmurphy
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by edwardmurphy »

B. W. wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:58 pmWhat do you think will happen next?
Well, if Sideshow Don is any kind of politician, which I doubt, he'll throw the House GOP under the bus and reach out to the Democrats with a massive infrastructure bill.
Kurieuo wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:41 pmCongrats Ed -- it's early, but looks like Dems got the house. Now to try impeach Trump the next couple years over tax returns, Russia collusion, etc. ;)
Maybe. This means that the Mueller investigation is safe and will reach a conclusion. What that will be remains to be seen, obviously, but I think that's a good thing regardless. It also means that Trump's tax returns will likely see the light of day, which is a victory for transparency. I always root for transparency. It also means that whatever guys like Nunes and Gowdy might have buried during their House collusion investigations will probably come out.

All in all, this is an interesting moment in American politics. Trump could actually come out really well, or it could be a total catastrophe. It depends on how much he actually has to hide - hiding stuff just got a lot harder - and on how willing he is to be politically pragmatic. If the revelation of some of the skeletons in his closet is politically survivable then Sideshow Don has a real chance to move to the center and ally himself with the Democrats on things like healthcare and infrastructure. I don't see why he wouldn't. It's not like he actually gives a [love] about the GOP, or ever really did, so throwing them under the bus in the interest of personal survival wouldn't be out of character for him.

As for impeachment, it depends on who gets picked to be House Majority Leader. I don't think Pelosi would go for impeachment unless conviction by the Senate was a slam dunk, but a younger, more reactionary Democrat might. We'll see what happens there. I'd like to see new blood in the Democratic Party leadership, but I don't want them to lose their momentum on a pointless impeachment battle. The only way that the Senate GOP would convict on impeachment charges is if there's something so heinous that they just can't overlook it, no matter how much they'd like to.

We'll see.
Philip
Site Owner
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Philip »

OK, for Democrats, it's one thing to oppose Trump where they disagree. But if they only make their gain of the House to be utilized only to go after Trump, impeachment, etc., they will make a bad situation far worse, because the Republicans will only retaliate in kind. One of these days, one would hope that the Democrats would put forward some useful ideas that could make our country greater, safer, focus on our immense debt and problems, etc. Just being Trump and Republican haters is not LEADERSHIP!!! But that's about all we've seen for the past 2 years. Both parties need to turn down the venom because it goes nowhere good. And I would start with Trump's tone on this.

I would hope a smarter, more civil, yet assertive Republican would gain the next presidential nomination for the Republicans. A lot of more conservative-leaning voters either don't vote or vote Democrat as a reaction to Trump's mouth and personality - and this is especially true amongst women and younger people. They find him exceptionally abrasive and offensive. Plus, we need someone who can better explain the connections between bad ideas and policies and their impact - as opposed to just demonizing those who hold them. We also need mature people to step up and be willing to work with equally mature politicians in opposing parties. There is nothing bad about good collaboration. But right now, relations between parties are being stirred up by instigators in both parties, and thus it's just a huge war.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

A word on impeachment:
The democrats better think very carefully because a failed investigation will give Trump ALL the ammo he needs for 2020.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Even though there are more registered democrats than registered republicans in Florida, a republican got more votes for governor.

Look for DeSantis to be a candidate for POTUS in the near future.

And, the career politician Nelson, lost to the man who ran a company that bilked taxpayers of millions of dollars.

Gotta love politics.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

PaulSacramento wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:25 am A word on impeachment:
The democrats better think very carefully because a failed investigation will give Trump ALL the ammo he needs for 2020.
I'm not convinced Trump will even run in 2020.
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Rick: I'm not convinced Trump will even run in 2020.
Wouldn't it be a shocker if he didn't - thus eliminating the Democrats' convenient boogeyman! But who could step up that would be electable?
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Philip wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:10 pm
Rick: I'm not convinced Trump will even run in 2020.
Wouldn't it be a shocker if he didn't - thus eliminating the Democrats' convenient boogeyman! But who could step up that would be electable?
Electable? Who knows. Trump was a joke to a lot of people, especially in the primaries. And he got elected.

-Edward R Murrow

Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Trump primarily got elected because of a weak choice of Republicans and because Hillary was unthinkable to so many moderates, independents and conservatives. But there is a massive generational and gender gap in which many people can't stand Trump's style, pettiness and arrogance. And so it's easy for the opposition to tar him as some ignorant, racist buffoon - even though he's not. But the low-information types pay a lot more attention to style and the facade of candidates than they do the substance of what they are actually for or what their track record suggests. Some conservative needs to appear on the scene who can make an understandable, mature case and explain the ramifications between policy and how it impacts people's lives. Merely grandstanding on the us vs. them and demonizing the other side will not bring new voters from youth, women or independents. And this perception of a party being only older men - this is why Jimmy Carter won - he seemed young, fresh and appealed to people's minds - even if he wasn't a good president - in contrast to the Nixon / Ford generation of politicians.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

When I think "electable" on the Republican side, one name stands out to me. But I don't think Condoleeza Rice has any intentions of running for potus.

She's very intelligent, and she would also get the "nitwit" vote, from the nitwits who vote because of the color of someone's skin, or the person's sex.

Maybe someone like Mia Love could be a good future candidate.

I'm certainly tired of old white guys being president. At least we had 1/2 a break from the old white guys as president, when we had a 1/2 white president.

-Edward R Murrow

Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

I'll have you know just because they externally look black or white, it doesn't mean they are such! Trump said he had indian blood, more indian blood, than that Warren woman. So... I think you owe him an apology. As for Obama, we all know he was a dinky dye white woman.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Kurieuo wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:21 pm I'll have you know just because they externally look black or white, it doesn't mean they are such! Trump said he had indian blood, more indian blood, than that Warren woman. So... I think you owe him an apology. As for Obama, we all know he was a dinky dye white woman.
Dinky dye? Is that like fair dinkum?

Sometimes I identify as a 70 year old white man. That way, I look young for my age.

-Edward R Murrow

abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

B. W. wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:58 pm +
What are your thoughts and comments on the USA Midterm Elections finals?

What do you think will happen next?
-
-
-
Trump and the Patriots got what they wanted the majority in the Senate and they got rid of Corker and Flake too,so it is a much more solid majority without them.The Dems barely won the House but I think it is only temporary because once the FISA abuse stuff is declassified alot of them Dems will be indicted and we'll see special elections and elections for new people.I don't expect this to happen fast but overtime but the swamp is going to be drained and don't worry it is not just going to be targeted against just the Democrats but Republicans also who committed treason by pushing a Deep State agenda onto the American people.

The Democrats knit-pick Trump trying to find anything to use against him while totally ignoring the real criminals in our government who have committed real treason and sedition against the US Constitution.They thought they were above the law because they are in government but Federal Laws are Laws and they broke them and justice is coming.The laws do not only apply to "we the people" but people in government also.Both parties will be alot better after the swamp is drained. You might actually get to vote Democrat again in the future.But I also predict a new political party to emerge because of Trump and Nationalism.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.