Texas Church Shooting

Discussions about politics and goings on around the world. (Please keep discussions civil!)
B. W.
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes

Texas Church Shooting

Post by B. W. »

Texas Church Shooting...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heism.html

There is more known about this shooter than the one in Las Vegas a few weeks ago.

Comments - thoughts?
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Texas Church Shooting

Post by RickD »

It's just awful. I don't know what else to say right now. Just really sad.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

People with mental disorders can do really stupid and horrific things.
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Paul: People with mental disorders can do really stupid and horrific things.
And so can people filled with jealousy,envy, hate, rage and unfettered narcissism!
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Indeed !
edwardmurphy
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by edwardmurphy »

Seems like some things merit being pointed out:

1) The shooter had a documented history of serious mental illness, and had been previously hospitalized, apparently involuntarily.

2) The shooter had spent time in military prison for beating his wife and nearly killing his stepson, who was a toddler at the time. He had also been dishonorably discharged from the Air Force.

3) Despite 1 and 2, the shooter was able to legally purchase the high capacity, semiautomatic rifle that he used to murder 26 people.

This is an instance where universal background checks might have actually prevented a mass murder. He should have been denied a rifle and arrested for trying to make the illegal purchase. He wasn't, because our gun laws are insanely lax. A community was devastated as a result.

Perhaps this will be the tipping point. Maybe there will finally be enough outrage and disgust to force Congress to...

Meh, whatever. Who am I kidding. Mass shootings are a fact of life and nobody's going to do a thing about it.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

edwardmurphy wrote:Seems like some things merit being pointed out:

1) The shooter had a documented history of serious mental illness, and had been previously hospitalized, apparently involuntarily.

2) The shooter had spent time in military prison for beating his wife and nearly killing his stepson, who was a toddler at the time. He had also been dishonorably discharged from the Air Force.

3) Despite 1 and 2, the shooter was able to legally purchase the high capacity, semiautomatic rifle that he used to murder 26 people.

This is an instance where universal background checks might have actually prevented a mass murder. He should have been denied a rifle and arrested for trying to make the illegal purchase. He wasn't, because our gun laws are insanely lax. A community was devastated as a result.

Perhaps this will be the tipping point. Maybe there will finally be enough outrage and disgust to force Congress to...

Meh, whatever. Who am I kidding. Mass shootings are a fact of life and nobody's going to do a thing about it.
Ed,
It's already been shown that there was a mistake in the reporting of the shooter's crimes. He was arrested for assaulting his wife and stepson. He wasn't supposed to be able to buy a gun legally. Someone screwed up by not putting this info in the system. The law was there.
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Hortator
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Hortator »

The hell of it is that somebody always falls through the cracks. That’s just the nature of government bureaucracy. It is by its very nature inefficient. In fact I put forth that even with monolithic universal background checks, even MORE crazies would fall through the cracks.

Which is why we all must not rely on government for things we absolutely need, such as protection. That falls to us; it is our duty to defend ourselves and the ones who cannot protect themselves. That’s where the concept of deontological duty comes in, and where the conversation parts ways, typically.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Hortator wrote:The hell of it is that somebody always falls through the cracks. That’s just the nature of government bureaucracy. It is by its very nature inefficient. In fact I put forth that even with monolithic universal background checks, even MORE crazies would fall through the cracks.

Which is why we all must not rely on government for things we absolutely need, such as protection. That falls to us; it is our duty to defend ourselves and the ones who cannot protect themselves. That’s where the concept of deontological duty comes in, and where the conversation parts ways, typically.
Deontology is great, for the law abiding. But it means bupkis for those intent on murder.

The government bureaucracy failed in this instance, and they expect us to trust that new government laws are supposed to help?

Anyone want to venture a guess as to what happened when a gun owning church neighbor decided to intervene? Anyone want to guess what weapon this neighbor used?

-Edward R Murrow

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

There is truth and sadness in this statement Ed.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Update...

It was the Air Force - the Government - that failed to log the shooters info onto the already in existence computerized background checks. If they would have, he could not have bought a gun legally. Why this protocol on adding important data into the system as required by law by the Air Force is currently under investigation. It was a failure of Government following its own laws and protocol.

Bottom line... Government cannot save you.
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

B. W. wrote:Update...

It was the Air Force - the Government - that failed to log the shooters info onto the already in existence computerized background checks. If they would have, he could not have bought a gun legally. Why this protocol on adding important data into the system as required by law by the Air Force is currently under investigation. It was a failure of Government following its own laws and protocol.

Bottom line... Government cannot save you.
-
-
-

You are correct however even if the Air Force had have logged his info he would or could have just bought one off of the street which goes back to the point that criminals do not obey laws and no law prevents criminals from obtaining a gun to carry out shootings like this.Liberals should know this too after the concert mass shooting in France last year.Laws only make it hard for law abiding citezens to get guns,not criminals. So Ed's point is moot still and this is a big reason that this is a losing issue for liberals who want more stringent gun laws.The fact this shooter in Texas was taken out by two law abiding citezens who also had guns and the shooter died from his gun shot wounds even while wearing body armor might help to deter the next shooter.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.