Dr Seuss racist?

Discussions about politics and goings on around the world. (Please keep discussions civil!)
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Dr Seuss racist?

Post by RickD »

Melania Trump fires back at librarian who rejected gift of Dr. Seuss books as ‘racist’
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/09 ... acist.html

My life is officially ruined. I just found out that my favorite childhood books are racist. Since they were my favorite books, that must mean that I'm a racist for liking them.

Oh woe is me! :fainting:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Philip
Site Owner

Re: Dr Seuss racist?

Post by Philip »

Oops - here's a nice picture of her:

Uh, she's the cat in the hat: What a phony HYPOCRITE!!!
edwardmurphy
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by edwardmurphy »

Yes, Dr. Seuss is racist.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

edwardmurphy wrote:Yes, Dr. Seuss is racist.
I'm so upset. I don't know what to do. First I find out that our President is racist, now Dr. Seuss?

My childhood was for naught, and my adulthood too.

I wish youthinasia was legal, so someone could put me out of my miserable existence.
:crying:
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Nessa
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Nessa »

RickD wrote:
I'm so upset. I don't know what to do. First I find out that our President is racist, now Dr. Seuss?

I wish youthinasia was legal, so someone could put me out of my miserable existence.
Cheer up, Charlie.... :donotbesad:

Maybe someone will kill you with kindness

But not any of us menopausal women... You burnt your bridges there :shakehead:
edwardmurphy
Ultimate Member

Post by edwardmurphy »

Sorry, Rick. I'm not buying the argument the Cat in the Hat and Horton are racist, but these damned sure are:

Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Stick to the subject declared so by the Librarian, Ed!

Not to mention, many have a past they can't be proud of, but also did good things. Heck, Lincoln made racist statements.

Point is, this lady thought the Cat in the Hat was cool, until Trump's wife donated some books - so, out comes the hate as well as common sense abandoned with her seething hatred of all things related to Trump.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Nessa wrote:
RickD wrote:

Cheer up, Charlie.... :donotbesad:

Maybe someone will kill you with kindness

But not any of us menopausal women... You burnt your bridges there :shakehead:
My menopausal woman is killing me with kindness...a lot more often than she did before. :mrgreen:

-Edward R Murrow

edwardmurphy
Ultimate Member

Post by edwardmurphy »

Philip wrote:Point is, this lady thought the Cat in the Hat was cool, until Trump's wife donated some books - so, out comes the hate as well as common sense abandoned with her seething hatred of all things related to Trump.
Got it. So according to the nuanced coverage from FOX and Breitbart this lady is a crazy, hypocritical liar blinded by hate.

Meantime, the blatant racism exemplified in Dr. Seuss's Flit ads and anti-Japanese propaganda is beside the point.

No double standard there, Phil.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

edwardmurphy wrote:
Philip wrote:Point is, this lady thought the Cat in the Hat was cool, until Trump's wife donated some books - so, out comes the hate as well as common sense abandoned with her seething hatred of all things related to Trump.
Got it. So according to the nuanced coverage from FOX and Breitbart this lady is a crazy, hypocritical liar blinded by hate.

Meantime, the blatant racism exemplified in Dr. Seuss's Flit ads and anti-Japanese propaganda is beside the point.

I think the pre-children's literature pictures are besides the point. The point was that his children's books are racist. Are they?

If we want to talk about what Geisel did before the children's books, can we include the part about how he apologized and was sorry for the pictures?

-Edward R Murrow

Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Ed, that is pretty clear. She embraced and didn't attack a widely loved series of childrens books until she saw a political angle with Trump's wife.
quote: Ed: Meantime, the blatant racism exemplified in Dr. Seuss's Flit ads and anti-Japanese propaganda is beside the point."

There would be a double standard IF I were defending any racist works, or that the subject of the librarians' disdain were such a book. Because if she was upset with some racist book, so would I be. I have no idea of the author's past beforehand. But I do know that people change their minds and behaviors - which is a good thing. If people develop positive works after negative or hateful ones - isn't that a good thing? Or do we want to assert that people cannot change? Or that even problematic people with problematic views cannot sometimes do things that are very positive? See, people aren't some easy-to-sort category of marketing, and so the simplicity of demonizing every aspect of a person for whatever sins of their past - that's the tactic of people who only wish to push a particular narrative of a person - as people are a sum of their parts and histories. What and where are they now? And with what sensibilities and actions did they END up? Again, if you have read some of Lincoln's debates with Douglas, you would swear he was a raging racist who saw blacks as subhuman. So, should we go tear down the Lincoln Memorial, Ed?

Ed, what you are pushing is your very simplistic bias per political thinking, to avoid the obvious: The librarian hates Trump and her tirade had nothing at all to do with the Dr. Seuss books! How many gazillion liberals across the country have read those books to children, and now they are suddenly "racist?" Give me a break!

Ed, the above is like me reacting to you, per your political leanings, that everything you do or say is false, or that we can't still agree on quite a lot otherwise, or can't treat each other with respect. That's only the thinking of people who think one-dimensionally about people.
Hortator
Advanced Senior Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Hortator »

I read about this on another site, this was by far the most graceless librarian or woman or person in the world I have ever read about. Also, this is such a weary and tired strategy: Take anything even remotely related to your opponent and insinuate it as racist. There's going to be nothing left that isn't racist by 2024.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Hortator wrote:I read about this on another site, this was by far the most graceless librarian or woman or person in the world I have ever read about. Also, this is such a weary and tired strategy: Take anything even remotely related to your opponent and insinuate it as racist. There's going to be nothing left that isn't racist by 2024.
I find this post racist. You must be white.

-Edward R Murrow

Hortator
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Hortator »

RickD wrote:
Hortator wrote:I read about this on another site, this was by far the most graceless librarian or woman or person in the world I have ever read about. Also, this is such a weary and tired strategy: Take anything even remotely related to your opponent and insinuate it as racist. There's going to be nothing left that isn't racist by 2024.
I find this post racist. You must be white.
Lol if you nitpick at anything long enough, you can find "racial undertones" I'm sure.

Also don't forget Disney's anti-Semitic past too, since it is now considered world news to critically analyze the content of children's media.

*sigh*
Hortator
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Hortator »

Also they are now starting to burn Dr. Seuss books.