Global warming - Latest study

Discussions about politics and goings on around the world. (Please keep discussions civil!)
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Re: Global warming - Latest study

Post by abelcainsbrother »

RickD wrote:
abelcainsbrother wrote:I don't want to hear it about global warming.It has been nothing but cold here.It got down to 6 degress last night and the high today was only 22,we are under an 90 hour or three day span with below freezing tgemperatures here.I'm not used to this kind of cold weather but I'm having to adabt to it regardless.Getting up to go to work with it below freezing,having to scrape ice off my wind shield before I can drive.My heater does'nt work either.And my room is feeezing to where I had to add blankets on my bed in order to sleep warm,then got out from under the covers in the morning to go to work,and freeze while getting dressed.I guess I'll survive but global warming would be great about right now.I say this actually hoping to see some snow finally because I only rarely got to see snow where I moved from and it was not much snow if.when it rarely ever snowed. I move away though and it snows there with about two inches of snow which I never saw having lived there all of them years.And eventhough it has been alot colder here,no snow yet.
Sorry to hear you're so cold. It's Trump's fault. It wasn't this cold until he was in office.

It is just colder here in the winter and I'm not used to it.It was very cold on Christmas and New Years Eve and day where you just really wanted to stay in and try to stay warm,and not get out in it.It is weird to hope for temperatures in the high 30's close to 40 this weekend when it warms up alittle bit.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
edwardmurphy
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by edwardmurphy »

abelcainsbrother wrote:I don't want to hear it about global warming.It has been nothing but cold here.It got down to 6 degress last night and the high today was only 22,we are under an 90 hour or three day span with below freezing temperatures here.I'm not used to this kind of cold weather but I'm having to adabt to it regardless.Getting up to go to work with it below freezing,having to scrape ice off my wind shield before I can drive.My heater does'nt work either.And my room is feeezing to where I had to add blankets on my bed in order to sleep warm,then get out from under the covers in the morning to go to work,and freeze while getting dressed.I guess I'll survive but global warming would be great about right now.I say this actually hoping to see some snow finally because I only rarely got to see snow where I moved from and it was not much snow if.when it rarely ever snowed. I move away though and it snows there with about two inches of snow which I never saw having lived there all of them years.And eventhough it has been alot colder here,no snow yet.
As I understand things, cold snaps in warm places are part of the overall impact of global warming. As the temperature goes up globally the climate becomes more volatile. That means hotter heat spells and colder cold snaps, as well as more violent storms. The overall model seems to be holding up. We're getting "hundred year" storms all the time, for example.

By the way, it's been in the low or negative single digits here for a couple of weeks now. Today it's 12°, although it's still and sunny so it's not bad if you cover up and keep moving.

I never minded winter before I had little kids, but now it's a huge pain in the butt. Everything is harder and takes longer. I used to just grab a coat and go. Now it's snow pants, hats, mittens, scarves, coats, and boots. I have to get the kids bundled to go to the car, then stripped back down to go in cars seats, then bundled again to get out. That often comes with resistance, since the kids find the process as irritating as I do, but lack the understanding of why it's all necessary. My 2-year-old chucks her hat and mittens the second we leave the house, then promptly falls and gets snow on her hands, so I have to take my gloves off and reassemble her snow gear, which she chucks again 2 minutes later.

On the upside, at least a cold winter will kill off some of the ticks. When I was a kid they were barely present here, but now they're thick as soon as the snow thaws, and they carry Lyme disease. And the mosquito population, which was a minor irritant in the 70s and 80s, carries West Nile and Triple E, so bug spray is a must.

Things have changed.
Philip
Site Owner
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Philip »

Ed: I never minded winter before I had little kids, but now it's a huge pain in the butt. Everything is harder and takes longer. I used to just grab a coat and go. Now it's snow pants, hats, mittens, scarves, coats, and boots. I have to get the kids bundled to go to the car, then stripped back down to go in cars seats, then bundled again to get out. That often comes with resistance, since the kids find the process as irritating as I do, but lack the understanding of why it's all necessary. My 2-year-old chucks her hat and mittens the second we leave the house, then promptly falls and gets snow on her hands, so I have to take my gloves off and reassemble her snow gear, which she chucks again 2 minutes later.
Kind of like this, Ed?

Ed: On the upside, at least a cold winter will kill off some of the ticks. When I was a kid they were barely present here, but now they're thick as soon as the snow thaws, and they carry Lyme disease. And the mosquito population, which was a minor irritant in the 70s and 80s, carries West Nile and Triple E, so bug spray is a must.
Yep, a good winter can really lesson the bugs. And as one who survived severe, late-stage Lyme (which almost did me in), I REALLY hate ticks. However, my understanding is that they can survive up to 17 below, only for a certain period, and a heavy, extended snow cover actually helps them to survive, due to the insulation it provides. Nasty little boogers!
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Rick, did you get snow in Jax? Today, I couldn't believe how many vehicles traveling I-77 NORTH were coated with snow, and many of them had FL tags - usually, it's the other way around. Tuesday morning it was 3 degrees F at my house, and will likely hit about 7 degrees on Friday morning. It snowed up to 200 miles south of me, and just 40 miles east - whole snow even went around me, mostly hugged the coast. Even Savannah and Tallahassee, FL got snow - unreal! I don't mind the snow or cold - I just really hate how dry the air gets when it stays days below freezing - well, that and the cost of the heat bill :shock: .
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Philip wrote:Rick, did you get snow in Jax? Today, I couldn't believe how many vehicles traveling I-77 NORTH were coated with snow, and many of them had FL tags - usually, it's the other way around. Tuesday morning it was 3 degrees F at my house, and will likely hit about 7 degrees on Friday morning. It snowed up to 200 miles south of me, and just 40 miles east - whole snow even went around me, mostly hugged the coast. Even Savannah and Tallahassee, FL got snow - unreal! I don't mind the snow or cold - I just really hate how dry the air gets when it stays days below freezing - well, that and the cost of the heat bill :shock: .
No snow here. Temp hovered around 33 degrees. Just really cold rain here.

Looks like global warming kept us just warm enough not to snow.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
edwardmurphy
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by edwardmurphy »

That's it exactly, Phil.

Regarding ticks, I hope you're wrong because that really sucks.
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by thatkidakayoungguy »

Philip wrote:Rick, did you get snow in Jax? Today, I couldn't believe how many vehicles traveling I-77 NORTH were coated with snow, and many of them had FL tags - usually, it's the other way around. Tuesday morning it was 3 degrees F at my house, and will likely hit about 7 degrees on Friday morning. It snowed up to 200 miles south of me, and just 40 miles east - whole snow even went around me, mostly hugged the coast. Even Savannah and Tallahassee, FL got snow - unreal! I don't mind the snow or cold - I just really hate how dry the air gets when it stays days below freezing - well, that and the cost of the heat bill :shock: .
Feel bad 4u. Here it's like 13F at night. Isure hope the homeless r in safe hands, i wouldnt want anyone to go thru this like they would.
Nicki
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Nicki »

RickD wrote:
Nicki wrote:What about the poor old polar bears which are apparently running out of ice to fish from? I saw a sad video of a starving one on TV recently. :(
Was that the sickly looking polar bear that everyone assumed was sick and lacking food because of climate change? The one which a polar bear expert said that people jumped to conclusions, and could've just been a sick bear, or one that was skinny because it had an injury, or was old and lost some of its canines? That bear?
I'm not sure - I just saw a short news item commentating on the video; as it said the bear seemed to be on an iceless island and was dragging its back legs; it tried to eat some rubbish out of a bin which was apparently sometimes used by fishermen. I remember seeing a wildlife documentary some years ago relating that polar bears were having to swim further and further looking for ice. I take it you're skeptical about it all?
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Nicki wrote:
RickD wrote:
Nicki wrote:What about the poor old polar bears which are apparently running out of ice to fish from? I saw a sad video of a starving one on TV recently. :(
Was that the sickly looking polar bear that everyone assumed was sick and lacking food because of climate change? The one which a polar bear expert said that people jumped to conclusions, and could've just been a sick bear, or one that was skinny because it had an injury, or was old and lost some of its canines? That bear?
I'm not sure - I just saw a short news item commentating on the video; as it said the bear seemed to be on an iceless island and was dragging its back legs; it tried to eat some rubbish out of a bin which was apparently sometimes used by fishermen. I remember seeing a wildlife documentary some years ago relating that polar bears were having to swim further and further looking for ice. I take it you're skeptical about it all?
I'm skeptical about the idea that global warming is caused by man. I'm skeptical of people who have agendas, like Al Gore.

I haven't seen any proof that the earth's temperature change isn't anything but the earth's ecosystems working exactly the way they're supposed to work.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

As the earth has known and repeated cycles of cold to warm, and back, with unique periods of variations within those greater cycles, then the question per ANY warming has to be measured against some bottom/low and top/high temperature baselines. This is what makes it very difficult to definitively say any period of warming or cold is due to this or that. Because how could you know the difference between a mere natural cycle, and one man-influenced? The fact that, in multiple earth cycle periods, it's been a LOT warmer than in this century - which tells me that any warming is right within the parameters of the past. That does not, however, mean that man has not had an influence, perhaps even significantly negative, upon the climate. But it also certainly doesn't mean that we have. Think of all those many thousands of years with various temperature cycling, with a planet that is 4.5 billion years old - does anyone seriously think 150 years or so of partial data, that is only partially reliable, can determine the truth of the matter based upon this limited data input in the algorithms of computer-based climate modeling, so as to give us an accurate assessment??? Anyone who thinks the assertions of man-caused global warming is a "no-brainer" or a "slam-dunk" - they simply aren't credible, per what cannot currently be known. Of course, that presents the earth with a great dilemma for us.

So, do we just say to the corporate energy giants, "full speed ahead, only what money can be saved or made is what matters" - no - that's ridiculous, and potentially dangerous. As we DO need to be cautious and clean up what pollutants and out-gassing we can. And yet, we shouldn't be funneling vast billions into the "sky is falling" globalist crowd, thinking we're gonna tax and superfund a collective saving of the planet. Politics-based science is typically only a shell game of money and power, typically one that will do nothing to solve the asserted problem - one that we may or may not have. Actually, precious resources can be squandered that might well be better used. And with the rabid global warming crowd, periods of great cold are used as support for their narrative (as Al Snore just said this week) - which is the inverse of what I'm saying about natural cycles conceivably being the cause of any warming.
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Hortator
Advanced Senior Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Hortator »

Climate changers: The earth is heating/cooling. We need to do something about it.

Skeptics: Okay, what do we need to do?

Climate changers: Give us the energy grid and give us the power to put you back into the stone age.

Skeptics: Woah, woah, woah, woah, woah, woah.
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by thatkidakayoungguy »

Isn't global warming supposed to cause wacky weather?
I hear we're in a temporary global cooling too.
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

It also needs to be pointed out that the reason why President Donald Trump pulled us out of the Paris climate agreement is because the US was getting the shaft paying most of the money toward it while other countries pay less and Trump won't allow other countries to take advantage of the US.Any deals we make will be fair to the US. So other countries are not very serious about fighting man-made climate change and expect America to be hit the hardest to fight it.It is like it was set up to hurt the US and stick it to US taxpayers and whoever made the deal for the US is a traitor.It is a scam to tax the US taxpayers and Trump will always put America and the American people first.The US is not in good condition to be paying most of the money toward fighting man-made climate change.We are in massive debt and we need to improve America if we're going to have debt.We need to think about America's infrascructure that needs improvement,which is what Trump wants to focus on,and it is about time.Trump is all about putting America first and both Republicans and Democrats that have been in our government have a problem with it and are traitors.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

MORE warming evidence? Wow! Sahara desert area hit with 15 inches of snow! https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/90 ... res-photos