Global warming - Latest study

Discussions about politics and goings on around the world. (Please keep discussions civil!)
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Global warming - Latest study

Post by PaulSacramento »

It seems that another study has come out proving (?) that the RATE of global warming is far less and that, as many skeptics have stated over and over, the models overestimated.

https://www.thegwpf.com/we-we-wrong-cli ... s-concede/

An exert:
The study, published in the prestigious journal Nature Geoscience, makes clear that rapid reductions in emissions will still be required but suggests that the world has more time to make the necessary changes.

Michael Grubb, professor of international energy and climate change at University College London and one of the study’s authors, admitted that his previous prediction had been wrong.

He stated during the climate summit in Paris in December 2015: “All the evidence from the past 15 years leads me to conclude that actually delivering 1.5C is simply incompatible with democracy.”

Speaking to The Times, he said: “When the facts change, I change my mind, as Keynes said.

“It’s still likely to be very difficult to achieve these kind of changes quickly enough but we are in a better place than I thought.”

Professor Grubb said that the new assessment was good news for small island states in the Pacific, such as the Marshall Islands and Tuvalu, which could be inundated by rising seas if the average temperature rose by more than 1.5C.

“Pacific islands are less doomed than we thought,” he said.

Professor Grubb added that other factors also pointed to more optimism on climate change, including China reducing its growth in emissions much faster than predicted and the cost of offshore wind farms falling steeply in the UK.

He said: “We’re in the midst of an energy revolution and it’s happening faster than we thought, which makes it much more credible for governments to tighten the offer they put on the table at Paris.”

The study found that a group of computer models used by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change had predicted a more rapid temperature increase than had actually occurred.

The global average temperature has risen by about 0.9C since pre-industrial times but there was a slowdown in the rate of warming for 15 years before 2014.

Myles Allen, professor of geosystem science at the University of Oxford and another author of the paper, said: “We haven’t seen that rapid acceleration in warming after 2000 that we see in the models. We haven’t seen that in the observations.”
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Global warming - Latest study

Post by RickD »

Grammar Nazi says it's "excerpt", not exert.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Stu
Esteemed Senior Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Stu »

According to Al Gore of a few years back, weren't we already supposed to be knee deep in water.
Only when the blood runs and the shackles restrain, will the sheep then awake. When all is lost.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Stu wrote:According to Al Gore of a few years back, weren't we already supposed to be knee deep in water.
Yeah, well...
edwardmurphy
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by edwardmurphy »

Keep it up, fellas. If you nit-pick hard enough you can change reality...
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

edwardmurphy wrote:Keep it up, fellas. If you nit-pick hard enough you can change reality...
The reality, in this case, is that the climate models were off, which is what so many have been saying.
Note what I said in the beginning:
...that the RATE of global warming is far less and that, as many skeptics have stated over and over, the models overestimated

That is what this is about.
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Surely Al Gore is wrong! It hit 3 degrees F at my house this morning - with three more nights of equally cold temps coming our way. Ah, but I know that Big Al can use every extreme weather event to buttress his theory.

But we could use a bit of Al's hot air about right now - just hate to see the coming utility bill!

RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

There's snow in the forecast tomorrow, in my town.

Al Gore can take his global warming and shove it where the sun don't shine.
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

An HVAC / heat pump is truly not efficient in this kind of weather. Raise the thermostat - it's not like the heat instantly jumps up. There isn't much to do in such weather. No wonder my northern in-laws all spend endless winter hours playing cards and board games - both of which I despise as terribly boring!
Nicki
Sex: Female

Post by Nicki »

What about the poor old polar bears which are apparently running out of ice to fish from? I saw a sad video of a starving one on TV recently. :(
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Nicki wrote:What about the poor old polar bears which are apparently running out of ice to fish from? I saw a sad video of a starving one on TV recently. :(
Tell them to move to Florida.

-Edward R Murrow

Nicki
Sex: Female

Post by Nicki »

RickD wrote:
Nicki wrote:What about the poor old polar bears which are apparently running out of ice to fish from? I saw a sad video of a starving one on TV recently. :(
Tell them to move to Florida.
:lol: They'd be sorry when summer comes.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Was that the sickly looking polar bear that everyone assumed was sick and lacking food because of climate change? The one which a polar bear expert said that people jumped to conclusions, and could've just been a sick bear, or one that was skinny because it had an injury, or was old and lost some of its canines? That bear?

-Edward R Murrow

abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

I don't want to hear it about global warming.It has been nothing but cold here.It got down to 6 degress last night and the high today was only 22,we are under an 90 hour or three day span with below freezing temperatures here.I'm not used to this kind of cold weather but I'm having to adabt to it regardless.Getting up to go to work with it below freezing,having to scrape ice off my wind shield before I can drive.My heater does'nt work either.And my room is feeezing to where I had to add blankets on my bed in order to sleep warm,then get out from under the covers in the morning to go to work,and freeze while getting dressed.I guess I'll survive but global warming would be great about right now.I say this actually hoping to see some snow finally because I only rarely got to see snow where I moved from and it was not much snow if.when it rarely ever snowed. I move away though and it snows there with about two inches of snow which I never saw having lived there all of them years.And eventhough it has been alot colder here,no snow yet.
Last edited by abelcainsbrother on Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

abelcainsbrother wrote:I don't want to hear it about global warming.It has been nothing but cold here.It got down to 6 degress last night and the high today was only 22,we are under an 90 hour or three day span with below freezing tgemperatures here.I'm not used to this kind of cold weather but I'm having to adabt to it regardless.Getting up to go to work with it below freezing,having to scrape ice off my wind shield before I can drive.My heater does'nt work either.And my room is feeezing to where I had to add blankets on my bed in order to sleep warm,then got out from under the covers in the morning to go to work,and freeze while getting dressed.I guess I'll survive but global warming would be great about right now.I say this actually hoping to see some snow finally because I only rarely got to see snow where I moved from and it was not much snow if.when it rarely ever snowed. I move away though and it snows there with about two inches of snow which I never saw having lived there all of them years.And eventhough it has been alot colder here,no snow yet.
Sorry to hear you're so cold. It's Trump's fault. It wasn't this cold until he was in office.

-Edward R Murrow