Media and Charlottesville Racist Riot

Discussions about politics and goings on around the world. (Please keep discussions civil!)
Philip
Site Owner
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Media and Charlottesville Racist Riot

Post by Philip »

The media is ever trying to stir the pot on race - spinning it to whatever political means.

This morning, my 19 year old son was down at the Sec. of State's office to register an LLC company he's starting. Suddenly a local news crew and reporter sticks a mic and camera in his face and asks what he thinks about the recent racial strife in Virginia, and what he thinks society should do about it. His on-camera answer - really, I wish more kids had his understanding: He said, "Society can't do ANYTHING about it, as the reality is that racism is an indication that the real cause is, people have a heart problem and they need Jesus - that's the solution!" Simple, boom!
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Re: Media and Charlottesville Racist Riot

Post by RickD »

Philip wrote:The media is ever trying to stir the pot on race - spinning it to whatever political means.

This morning, my 19 year old son was down at the Sec. of State's office to register an LLC company he's starting. Suddenly a local news crew and reporter sticks a mic and camera in his face and asks what he thinks about the recent racial strife in Virginia, and what he thinks society should do about it. His on-camera answer - really, I wish more kids had his understanding: He said, "Society can't do ANYTHING about it, as the reality is that racism is an indication that the real cause is, people have a heart problem and they need Jesus - that's the solution!" Simple, boom!
I wish I could've responded that well under the pressure of having a microphone shoved in my face.
I usually think of the best response, well after I'm already gone.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

I wish I could've responded that well under the pressure of having a microphone shoved in my face.
I usually think of the best response, well after I'm already gone.
Rick, you probably would just have said, "People are such ignorant :fruitcake: s!
Hortator
Advanced Senior Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Hortator »

I probably would have said, plainly and boringly, "I have not seen any evidence of racial strife where I live."

If I had a sound mind, I would reply back that they are asking a leading question and it's not a journalist's job to shop around for people outside the reservation of progressive thought. It sounds like a typical "gotcha" ambush by an agenda driven "journalist".

Your son deserves congratulations, as much as he can get, because what he did was pretty inspiring. Even if only us peasants will say so.
edwardmurphy
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by edwardmurphy »

So when did we get the heart problem and lose track of Jesus? Just asking, because our racial problems, which do exist, are far less severe than at any other point in the history of our nation and our religious observance is also at a low point.
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Ed: So when did we get the heart problem and lose track of Jesus? Just asking, because our racial problems, which do exist, are far less severe than at any other point in the history of our nation and our religious observance is also at a low point.
Ed, his point is that embracing Jesus is the answer! And the reason is, that what truly needs to change in the racist is not merely education of his or her ignorance, but of their heart of hate and filtering everything through their racial lens. Of course, it's not just the loonies rioting or marching with whatever race-based/baiting group that is the problem - many of them are very well educated - whether politicians or whatever else. It's an issue of the heart and mind - which is why Christians would agree that learning to see things from God's perspective changes one's heart and mind. That isn't to say that all people with a racist mindset are unbelievers - many people who don't think racially are not people of faith. But they'll always have personal issues that embracing Jesus would begin to change. And we ALL have various issues. And many who do not think spiritually about such issues, instead think politically about them - or how that proper education and understanding are the most effective. But don't get me going on the whole race thing - I've lived it, been around it, all my life.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Philip wrote:
Ed: So when did we get the heart problem and lose track of Jesus? Just asking, because our racial problems, which do exist, are far less severe than at any other point in the history of our nation and our religious observance is also at a low point.
Ed, his point is that embracing Jesus is the answer! And the reason is, that what truly needs to change in the racist is not merely education of his or her ignorance, but of their heart of hate and filtering everything through their racial lens. Of course, it's not just the loonies rioting or marching with whatever race-based/baiting group that is the problem - many of them are very well educated - whether politicians or whatever else. It's an issue of the heart and mind - which is why Christians would agree that learning to see things from God's perspective changes one's heart and mind. That isn't to say that all people with a racist mindset are unbelievers - many people who don't think racially are not people of faith. But they'll always have personal issues that embracing Jesus would begin to change. And we ALL have various issues. And many who do not think spiritually about such issues, instead think politically about them - or how that proper education and understanding are the most effective. But don't get me going on the whole race thing - I've lived it, been around it, all my life.
Clash of different worldviews obviously. Those without Christ, just don't get it and see comments invoking Jesus as whacked out. Yet, then, I'm sure there can be agreement that the heart of a person (people) is more/less what needs changing if we want people to just get along and care for each other.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

There is enough blame to go around on all sides of this "event", as usual.
Anyone that things this is one sided is suffering from a serious lack reality check.

I Jesus the solution to these problems?
Depends on what you mean by that.

A believer in Jesus, a true believer ( as much as I hate to use that term, it needs to be used), believes in what exactly? and who does that belief translate into making the world a better place?

A believer believes that:
Life is sacred.
We are "broken" in a certain way, that we tend to pursue doing the wrong thing, even knowing that it is wrong, if we feel we will get something out of it ( even if only a fleeting moment of pleasure).
That there is an order to the universe.
That there is an absolute right and wrong and that it transcends culture and race and even humanity.
That all are equal, which means no one gets discriminated against OR gets special privileges.
That we must actively try to make the world a better place by taking care of those we love,by taking care of our neighbors, but taking care of those that can NOT take care of themselves.
That marriage is sacred and not to be taken lightly and not to be disregarded lightly.
Stealing is wrong, jealousy in all forms ( coveting what does NOT belong to us) is wrong, adultery is wrong.
That natural law exists ( an order to the universe as above but also that things have an "ideal" or "natural" way of being).
And, more importantly and most controversially, that Jesus is the way to salvation.

If we look at these points ( there are many others of course), do we see a path that looks like it can solve our problems?
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Update, "Local News at 11": Well, the media doesn't like "Jesus" answers either! Saw my son's video segment last night - they edited out all but his first sentence - which was, (in response to the what he thought about the riot and violence) "Well, it was a real eye-opener..." CHOP! Then they mixed it in with a montage of people making rather meaningless statements, all without nuance or explanation. Which is what most media does frequently - they frame responses and statements out of context.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Philip wrote:Update, "Local News at 11": Well, the media doesn't like "Jesus" answers either! Saw my son's video segment last night - they edited out all but his first sentence - which was, (in response to the what he thought about the riot and violence) "Well, it was a real eye-opener..." CHOP! Then they mixed it in with a montage of people making rather meaningless statements, all without nuance or explanation. Which is what most media does frequently - they frame responses and statements out of context.
Any way you can pm me the clip from the news?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Hortator
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Hortator »

disappointing
ultimate777
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by ultimate777 »

edwardmurphy wrote:So when did we get the heart problem and lose track of Jesus? Just asking, because our racial problems, which do exist, are far less severe than at any other point in the history of our nation and our religious observance is also at a low point.

Very interesting.
ultimate777
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by ultimate777 »

PaulSacramento wrote:There is enough blame to go around on all sides of this "event", as usual.
Anyone that things this is one sided is suffering from a serious lack reality check.

I Jesus the solution to these problems?
Depends on what you mean by that.

A believer in Jesus, a true believer ( as much as I hate to use that term, it needs to be used), believes in what exactly? and who does that belief translate into making the world a better place?

A believer believes that:
Life is sacred.
We are "broken" in a certain way, that we tend to pursue doing the wrong thing, even knowing that it is wrong, if we feel we will get something out of it ( even if only a fleeting moment of pleasure).
That there is an order to the universe.
That there is an absolute right and wrong and that it transcends culture and race and even humanity.
That all are equal, which means no one gets discriminated against OR gets special privileges.
That we must actively try to make the world a better place by taking care of those we love,by taking care of our neighbors, but taking care of those that can NOT take care of themselves.
That marriage is sacred and not to be taken lightly and not to be disregarded lightly.
Stealing is wrong, jealousy in all forms ( coveting what does NOT belong to us) is wrong, adultery is wrong.
That natural law exists ( an order to the universe as above but also that things have an "ideal" or "natural" way of being).
And, more importantly and most controversially, that Jesus is the way to salvation.

If we look at these points ( there are many others of course), do we see a path that looks like it can solve our problems?

Did God create right and wrong, and whether He did, is he bound by it?

Did natural law exist before the Big Bang?

Did time exist before the Big Bang, and if not what passed for time? You know the Universe is believed only to have existed for less than 15,000,000,000 years. Do you see how little 15,000,000,000 is, commas and all? I got it twice in one line :ebiggrin: So what was God doinng before then? He has lived forever hasn't he?
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

U777: Did God create right and wrong, and whether He did, is he bound by it?
Time is a measurement between events and between things that exist. No events, no physical things - there's nothing to measure. Thus time began with the appearance of physical things. There was an eternity before this time, but it is measureless.
U777: Did natural law exist before the Big Bang?
God created all boundaries and parameters that exist. And the laws He gave man, and those he put upon their consciences, are per Who He is - all His decisions and laws flow from Who He is - a perfect Being with perfect knowledge of all things, who applies His perfect understandings, perfectly, to His plans. And that is not to say that such plans have specific instructions for specific reasons, for a given time. But God knows of all leading up to it, all after it, and for when His instructions will be altered to fit the unknown future He both knows about and controls.

U777: Did time exist before the Big Bang, and if not what passed for time? You know the Universe is believed only to have existed for less than 15,000,000,000 years. Do you see how little 15,000,000,000 is, commas and all? I got it twice in one line :ebiggrin: So what was God doinng before then? He has lived forever hasn't he?
If there was a physical reality that preceded the present one, there could have been a previous but unconnected (to this one) time that no longer exists, that is undetectable. Yes, our 14-billion or so year universe is insignificant to God (time-wise) - who is eternal - other than his purposes for this present time. Time is but a tool for God - He created it and controls it. Yes, God has always existed - as if He had not, He could not be God - as He would necessarily have been created by some other being that was eternal. But as the only God could not have created Himself, He had to be eternal.
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Update 2 / son's media interview: Saw the segment run again, the station had another "blip" edit of peoples' responses to the same questions (about Charlottesville, but separated by the earlier comments segment with clips of the fighting and chaos) - so, the only other word they put up that my son said was, "Jesus". That's all that was heard. I'm grateful for that! He's a heck of a lot more confident and bold than I was at 19 - he truly doesn't worry about what people think about his faith (but in a good way).

BTW, Charlottesville is where my GG grandfather is buried - he is my direct ancestor on my dad's side - if he'd not existed, I wouldn't. He was wounded in the 2nd Battle of the Wilderness of the Civil War, and died a month later from his wounds. I've been to his grave. The whole area around there looks like the 19th century, with memorials and shrines to the Confederacy almost everywhere, in public squares, lining streets. The graveyard is in what was once a relatively wealthy, all-white area. Today, it's a bit impoverished and mostly black. Ever since my first visit there, I've always been amazed at that juxtapositioning of the past and present - all very painful reminders of a tortured past (and present) for all sides - a society brought to ruin and death over it's determination to maintain an economy off the backs of slaves. Course, the elites and rich fanned the flames, as they had the most to lose. It was the poor sodbusters, the non-slave-owning farmers and/or their sons, like my GGG, who did the much of the actual fighting and dying. My GGG was fairly old, upon signing up (was 42 - at a time when many died naturally by 50). His grandson / my grandfather, was born just 15 years after the war ended. But it seems like many are still fighting it. So sad.