People lie in surveys when political correctness is involved

Discussions about politics and goings on around the world. (Please keep discussions civil!)
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

People lie in surveys when political correctness is involved

Post by PaulSacramento »

Years ago at the university I was going to, they had a study on sex.
A survey where they poll 100's of students.
It was a 2-step survey.
In a nutshell-
step 1- Ask students questions about sexual activity ( typical crap)
step 2- Ask same students back after 1 month and ask same questions when hooked up to a lie detector.

The results were very interesting:
Men far LESS sexual then they originally said and women far MORE, as an example.

The point was to show that people lie on surveys even if no one is going to know WHO said WHAT !
LOL !

This study was never publicized because, according to one of the developers, it would cause too much crap.
There was more to it then that but my point is that the study showed that people are very devious about certian things on surveys. like sex and, well, anything that is politically correct.

Example:
https://m.phys.org/news/2016-08-bias-di ... uples.html

Here is a summary:
A 2012 study by the Pew Research Center found that interracial marriages in the U.S. had doubled between 1980 and 2010 to about 15 percent, and just 11 percent of respondents disapproved of interracial marriage.

But new research from the University of Washington suggests that reported acceptance of interracial marriage masks deeper feelings of discomfort—even disgust—that some feel about mixed-race couples. Published online in July in the Journal of Experimental Social Psychology and co-authored by UW postdoctoral researcher Caitlin Hudac, the study found that bias against interracial couples is associated with disgust that in turn leads interracial couples to be dehumanized.

Lead author Allison Skinner, a UW postdoctoral researcher, said she undertook the study after noting a lack of in-depth research on bias toward interracial couples.

"I felt like the polls weren't telling the whole story," said Skinner, a researcher in the UW's Institute for Learning & Brain Sciences.....

Taken together, the experiments show that despite high levels of reported acceptance, bias against mixed-race couples persists in the United States, the researchers say. In 2013, they note, Washington Post columnist Richard Cohen caused a furor when he wrote that New York Mayor Bill de Blasio's interracial marriage incited "a gag reflex" among some people, prompting the Post to write a follow-up story about the controversy.

Such sentiments, Skinner said, belie the notion that most Americans are ready to embrace mixed-race romance.

"Some people are still not comfortable with interracial relationships, or at least they're a lot less comfortable than they would appear to be," she said. "Acknowledging these biases is the first step to figuring out why people feel that way and determining what can be done so they won't."
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: People lie in surveys when political correctness is involved

Post by RickD »

Maybe everybody's frequency of sex changed drastically in that month.
Women have a lot of sex at college.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Hortator
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Hortator »

It's funny how today is like reverse-McCarthyism. Everyone is scared of being outed as a non-communist.
edwardmurphy
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by edwardmurphy »

Yes, because feeling like society wouldn't approve of your opposition to interracial marriage is just like being dragged in front of the House Committee on Unamerican Activities because you were a communist in college. Apples to apples.
Hortator
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Hortator »

edwardmurphy wrote:Yes, because feeling like society wouldn't approve of your opposition to interracial marriage is just like being dragged in front of the House Committee on Unamerican Activities because you were a communist in college. Apples to apples.
Oh go back to Pharyngula you godless, freedom-loathing soviet
edwardmurphy
Ultimate Member

Post by edwardmurphy »

What the hell is Pharyngula?
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

A "militant" atheist website.
edwardmurphy
Ultimate Member

Post by edwardmurphy »

Seriously, though, what gives you the idea that I, or that progressives in general, are any less concerned with freedom than you are?

Actually, before we even go there, we should probably decide what we're talking about when we discuss freedom or its loss. When I talk about freedom I'm talking about the 1st Amendment. I have the freedom to speak my mind without having the government stomp on me for it. It seems like you (plural?) are speaking much more broadly.

For example, consider the freedom to sit in the break room at work and expound on how revolted you are by interracial marriage. That speech is protected by the 1st Amendment, but will likely have significant social and professional consequences for you. Do you think that that makes us less free as a society?

Personally, I don't. There have always been social and professional costs to voicing unpopular opinions. Speaking in support of interracial marriage would have likely gotten you a pink slip and a beating in Montgomery, Alabama in 1930. Were we more free in that situation than we are now? Some of us w re, I suppose, but plenty of others were far less so.

Back to me and my views on freedom. As I said, freedom is as important to me as it is to you, but we seem to view it differently. In my mind a gay person who can't be confident that he'll be served when he walks into a business is less free than a straight person who can. That, in my mind, is a clear violation of the Equal Protection Clause in the he 14th Amendment. I find myself wondering how far things will go if the Supreme Court rules that a baker can decline to serve a gay couple. It's unlikely that that ruling would be confined to homosexuals and bakers.

You seem to take the opposite view, and hold you the baker's religious freedom over the homosexual citizen's right to equal protection under the law.

It seems to me that neither of us hates freedom. We just see things differently.
Hortator
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Hortator »

Another topic made exclusively about Ed

Sorry Paul. You had a good thread.
edwardmurphy
Ultimate Member

Post by edwardmurphy »

Oh, Hortence...

I'm sorry that you're too dense to see a connection between political correctness, personal freedom, the US Constitution, and current events.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

edwardmurphy wrote:Seriously, though, what gives you the idea that I, or that progressives in general, are any less concerned with freedom than you are?
I think who you see as "progressives" lost that title long ago. "Conservatives" appear to be more progressive for today's society where liberalism has veered totally off the tracks into what it now is -- extreme political correctness, its white privilege racism, microaggressions, anti-male and totalitarian anti-libertarian aggressiveness. Definitely not what it classically heralded itself as or possibly once was.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

edwardmurphy wrote:Seriously, though, what gives you the idea that I, or that progressives in general, are any less concerned with freedom than you are?

Actually, before we even go there, we should probably decide what we're talking about when we discuss freedom or its loss. When I talk about freedom I'm talking about the 1st Amendment. I have the freedom to speak my mind without having the government stomp on me for it. It seems like you (plural?) are speaking much more broadly.

For example, consider the freedom to sit in the break room at work and expound on how revolted you are by interracial marriage. That speech is protected by the 1st Amendment, but will likely have significant social and professional consequences for you. Do you think that that makes us less free as a society?

Personally, I don't. There have always been social and professional costs to voicing unpopular opinions. Speaking in support of interracial marriage would have likely gotten you a pink slip and a beating in Montgomery, Alabama in 1930. Were we more free in that situation than we are now? Some of us w re, I suppose, but plenty of others were far less so.

Back to me and my views on freedom. As I said, freedom is as important to me as it is to you, but we seem to view it differently. In my mind a gay person who can't be confident that he'll be served when he walks into a business is less free than a straight person who can. That, in my mind, is a clear violation of the Equal Protection Clause in the he 14th Amendment. I find myself wondering how far things will go if the Supreme Court rules that a baker can decline to serve a gay couple. It's unlikely that that ruling would be confined to homosexuals and bakers.

You seem to take the opposite view, and hold you the baker's religious freedom over the homosexual citizen's right to equal protection under the law.

It seems to me that neither of us hates freedom. We just see things differently.

Well one thing is that our freedom in America comes from God,not the government and yet progressives want to remove God and yet think they can keep freedom without God,when they can't.The government always takes freedom away and freedom must be defended and I think this is what most Christians have been trying to do in the background,preserve our freedom as much as possible.You may have overlooked it and may not think about it much but you have freedom in America because of Jesus who gives freedom.This is why we have freedom of religion or even freedom to not believe in God.You have that freedom because of Christianity.

And it is progressives forcing their ways on others against their will.It is not Christians forcing people to obey God,be a Christian,etc it is liberal judges over riding the will of the people forcing this stuff on America against its will. Most Christians are just upset about how it is forced for us to accept it but have no intentions of forcing people to obey God,etc. It is you progressives doing to Christians what you think they would do to you when they would'nt.We just want the people to decide and it not be forced either way and it is really a states rights issue and not something the government should be involved in.The people can decide and yet you liberals are against this forcing your immoral thinking on to America against its will.

This is one reason why so many Democrats have been voted out of office and are the monority party now.Obama over reached and forced things on America that America did not like and yet even when you progressives have lost so much political power you're still trying to force your ways onto America instead of listening to what the American people are telling you.

Ya'll are focused on how best to smear President Trump when ya'll have serious problems in your party that needs to be addressed.It is already going to take years for Democrats to gain back the power they have lost and they still don't even know they have been rejected by the American people and why.I think that it is going to take more Democrats being voted out of office in 18 before the Democrats wake up and realize that America has rejected liberalism and is actually trying to move past both parties politically.

The American people know that America has so much more potential than what both parties can give politically.We have seen what both parties do when they are in power and it is not good and after trillions of dollars wasted the American people are the ones suffering because of a failed two party political system that are sold out to their rich donors and don't really care about the American people. Sorry for the rant but it feels good to speak the truth and let out all of the political frustration and not be politically correct.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.