Wow, maybe there is hope for free speech

Discussions about politics and goings on around the world. (Please keep discussions civil!)
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Wow, maybe there is hope for free speech

Post by PaulSacramento »

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/4 ... ree-speech

Summary:
In a passage that should be pasted into the student handbook of every college and read aloud by progressives who have convinced themselves that hate speech is not free speech, the court held, “Speech that demeans on the basis of race, ethnicity, gender, religion, age, disability, or any other similar ground is hateful; but the proudest boast of our free speech jurisprudence is that we protect the freedom to express ‘the thought that we hate.’” As the court’s concurring opinion noted, basing the trademark prohibition on the presumed reactions of an offended group doesn’t help — “a speech burden based on audience reactions is simply government hostility and intervention in a different guise.”

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/4 ... ree-speech

Exert:
In a passage that should be pasted into the student handbook of every college and read aloud by progressives who have convinced themselves that hate speech is not free speech, the court held, “Speech that demeans on the basis of race, ethnicity, gender, religion, age, disability, or any other similar ground is hateful; but the proudest boast of our free speech jurisprudence is that we protect the freedom to express ‘the thought that we hate.’” As the court’s concurring opinion noted, basing the trademark prohibition on the presumed reactions of an offended group doesn’t help — “a speech burden based on audience reactions is simply government hostility and intervention in a different guise.”

RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Wow, maybe there is hope for free speech

Post by RickD »

PaulSacramento wrote:http://www.nationalreview.com/article/4 ... ree-speech

Summary:

Exert:

Quoted twice, for double the effect! :shock:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

PaulSacramento wrote:http://www.nationalreview.com/article/4 ... ree-speech

Summary:

Exert:

Man,you just made liberals go into their safe spaces.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
edwardmurphy
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by edwardmurphy »

How do you figure?
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

edwardmurphy
Ultimate Member

Post by edwardmurphy »

Yep. And...?

As far as I can tell most progressives agree with the views in that clip. I certainly do.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

edwardmurphy wrote:Yep. And...?

As far as I can tell most progressives leftist, commie pinkos agree with the views in that clip. I certainly do.
Here, fixed it for you!
:mrgreen:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

edwardmurphy wrote:Yep. And...?

As far as I can tell most progressives agree with the views in that clip. I certainly do.
There is a very vocal and demonstrative group that most certainly don't.
edwardmurphy
Ultimate Member

Post by edwardmurphy »

Yup. And there are similarly vocal and demonstrative folks on the right. That doesn't make it the majority view for either group.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

In Australia, free speech is often squelched. Many who'd be called "left" in US terms, are often unapologetic and say we as a nation have no consititution which protects speech, some speech ought to be silenced and not had. I can see many in the US who'd be identified as left of field desiring the same when they protest, destroy property and set things alight -- all because some speaker they disagree with is in attendance. I see it online with Google, Facebook, Twitter who often think they're the thought police online. It's there, even if you yourself see things differently Ed and advocate a real freedom of speech.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Recent issue in Australia, for example (about 1-2 mins in).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPXrzXIPmUs

PS. Perhaps more meaningful to Aussies here.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

edwardmurphy wrote:Yup. And there are similarly vocal and demonstrative folks on the right. That doesn't make it the majority view for either group.
Thanks goodness no.
edwardmurphy
Ultimate Member

Post by edwardmurphy »

But there are people, again on both ends of the spectrum, who claim that it's a majority view among their political opponents. That's a false narrative and it needs to be challenged.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

edwardmurphy wrote:But there are people, again on both ends of the spectrum, who claim that it's a majority view among their political opponents. That's a false narrative and it needs to be challenged.
As we know, the VOCAL and DEMONSTRATIVE become the majority, even if that is not the case.
edwardmurphy
Ultimate Member

Post by edwardmurphy »

PaulSacramento wrote:As we know, the VOCAL and DEMONSTRATIVE become the majority, even if that is not the case.
True. Which underscores my point. If the minority are allowed to promote a false narrative with no push back their influence will far surpass they're numbers. But if more of us push back against their lies we can lessen their impact.