Bernie Sanders: Being a Christian Should Disqualify from Office???!!!

Discussions about politics and goings on around the world. (Please keep discussions civil!)
Philip
Site Owner
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Bernie Sanders: Being a Christian Should Disqualify from Office???!!!

Post by Philip »

edwardmurphy
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Re: Bernie Sanders: Being a Christian Should Disqualify from Office???!!!

Post by edwardmurphy »

Waaaaah!

There are still States in the US where atheists are constitutionally barred from holding public office.

American Christians are not being persecuted, have never been persecuted, and will never be persecuted. Enough of the crying.
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

edwardmurphy wrote:Waaaaah!

There are still States in the US where atheists are constitutionally barred from holding public office.

American Christians are not being persecuted, have never been persecuted, and will never be persecuted. Enough of the crying.
Well Christians never got one thing politically compared to you liberals.I mean you got abortion,same-sex marriages,etc while we just had to suck it up and accept it and we did.All we ever wanted was for the people to decide not liberal judges legislating from the bench.It should be a states rights issue and not forced either way onto the American people.We Christians,atleast the majority do not and have never wanted a Christian theocracy In America.Not after Catholics and how poorly they handled it.No we just want freedom for everybody really.Ya'll have been fighting imaginary boogiemen that are just not there,for nothing.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
Hortator
Advanced Senior Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Hortator »

Good.

The world view that helped murder 150,000,000 people in the 20th century should be prevented from doing so again.
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

Hortator wrote:

Good.

The world view that helped murder 150,000,000 people in the 20th century should be prevented from doing so again.
Yeah,we don't want an atheist leader like North Korea's Kim Jong Un.Based on history we must never allow atheists to have power over us.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Ed: Waaaaah!
So, you agree with him?
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Philip wrote:
Ed: Waaaaah!
So, you agree with him?
Sounds like Ed's the one doing the crying, given his spiel about atheists being hard done by thereafter.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
edwardmurphy
Ultimate Member

Post by edwardmurphy »

Hortence - no army has ever marched under the banner of atheism.

K - So it's whining to point out that skeptics literally were persecuted in the US? I think it's a reasonable counterpoint to an obviously absurd, but irritatingly common, conservative Christian talking point.

Phil - If a guy says "Muslims do not simply have a deficient theology. They do not know God because they have rejected Jesus Christ, His Son, and they stand condemned." then yes, I question his objectivity. Mostly, though, I'm irritated by the seemingly boundless hypocrisy of FOX News. Remember when Ben Carson said that no Muslim should ever be President? Where was the outrage? It's precisely the same 1st Amendment issue. It's clearly an unconstitutional religious test. And yet...crickets. What gives? Just more of the same hypocritical [nonsense].
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

edwardmurphy wrote:Hortence - no army has ever marched under the banner of atheism.

K - So it's whining to point out that skeptics literally were persecuted in the US? I think it's a reasonable counterpoint to an obviously absurd, but irritatingly common, conservative Christian talking point.

Phil - If a guy says "Muslims do not simply have a deficient theology. They do not know God because they have rejected Jesus Christ, His Son, and they stand condemned." then yes, I question his objectivity. Mostly, though, I'm irritated by the seemingly boundless hypocrisy of FOX News. Remember when Ben Carson said that no Muslim should ever be President? Where was the outrage? It's precisely the same 1st Amendment issue. It's clearly an unconstitutional religious test. And yet...crickets. What gives? Just more of the same hypocritical [nonsense].
Ed,

If you remember the context of what Carson said, which you left out, you'd see that it's not what you make it out to be. Carson was talking about Muslims that want sharia law over the constitution. Since you're ignorant about Islam, the U.S. Constitution cannot exist alongside sharia law, in the U.S.

I'd expect you to at least paint the full picture, with all the complaining you do about others that don't.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Ed: Phil - If a guy says "Muslims do not simply have a deficient theology. They do not know God because they have rejected Jesus Christ, His Son, and they stand condemned." then yes, I question his objectivity.
First of all, you must realize that in the fifth chapter of the Quran, it teaches specifically that Christians, those holding the belief that the Messiah, son of Mary, is God, will not inherit Paradise. But Bernie would never rip Islamic politicians who view all unbelievers (non-believers in Allah) are not welcome in Allah's afterlife - WOULD he???!!!
Ed: Mostly, though, I'm irritated by the seemingly boundless hypocrisy of FOX News.
I could care less what FoxNews thinks on this issue - let's stick to Bernie's assertion. What Bernie asserts is extremely dangerous - he's using selectively using religion as a political wedge to hit those of conservative beliefs. What a HUGE hypocrite to talk about Trump's bigotry, but then make such a statement! And if he were to say that no MUSLIM - or NO (insert your favorite religious affiliation here) ____________ is qualified to be an office holder, he'd be equally wrong and divisive. We do not live in a theocracy! The U.S. constitution GUARANTEES the free practice of the religion of one's choice. ANYone of ANY religion can hold office. But no one is guaranteed that people must vote for them. And that's the issue - Bernie boy wants to neutralize Christians by declaring them unfit for office due to their beliefs of the eternal fate of non-Christians. Note that his support is the greatest with young voters. Imagine such beliefs taking hold in the political class so as to begin to appoint judges with such beliefs. Wouldn't be long before Christians could be jailed for key beliefs they hold. We've already seen hints of this strategy on the left.

EVERYONE of EVERY religious background in the U.S. should be qualified to run! There have been non-Christians of whom I would have voted for over the so-called "Christian" candidate. But I prefer one of Christian beliefs - or at least philosophically in line with Judeo-Christian morality. Given a reasonably good Christian candidate vs. those of other faiths - I almost always would vote for the Christian. But to have this country with our constitution - we MUST be in support of ALL people of whatever faith running for and holding office. One might turn such religous political bigotry back upon Bernie - in that as he makes his one beliefs up as he so desires - answering basically to a god of one (the guy in his mirror) - that he shouldn't be trust by people of ANY faith to be qualified to run for or hold office. A majority of Americans have some theistic beliefs. But, again, the same constitution that protects MY right to faith, irrespective of my specific beliefs, also protects him to have no faith at all. And that's an important right that best serves ALL Americans. But Bernie just showed what the far left has become more and more - totally intolerant of Christians and their beliefs. So, now he's trying to demonize them. We all know - we're all watching. Cat's out of the bag! We now know the playbook of the radical left. What they can't achieve by fair voting, they look to the courts to subjugate those of whom they disagree with their values.
Ed: Remember when Ben Carson said that no Muslim should ever be President? Where was the outrage?
He was fine to believe that PERSONALLY - but not as a rule of law that anyone would be bound to. He doesn't have to vote for a Muslim or anyone else. Trample that Muslim's rights today - what faith or faiths are next? But he was wrong to believe that it shouldn't ever be allowed - if, in fact, that is what he meant?
Ed: It's precisely the same 1st Amendment issue. It's clearly an unconstitutional religious test.
ABSOLUTELY! Maybe you should write Bernie boy and explain how hideous and bigoted his statements are!
Ed: And yet...crickets. What gives? Just more of the same hypocritical [nonsense].
From some - yep - they'd ban people of various faiths. But such people are very short-sighted - they seem to think there is some achievable majority that will all agree with such thinking. It's fantasy and dangerous! And it's EXACTLY the same thinking we see with Bernie Boy!
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

edwardmurphy wrote:Hortence - no army has ever marched under the banner of atheism.

Islam is jewishphobic - ask them if the nation of Israel has a right to exist?

Islam is also Christianphobic as well too...

The respondent should have tossed the ideas back at Bernie and then asked him to tour little baghdad and beirut in Dearborn MI and then ask are they really assimilating to America or are they playing american left as fools and desiring/scheming that America be Islamic?

So you have a jewishphobic, Christianphobic, Infidelphobic religion using the word Islamicphobic to hide behind..

Amazing!!!!

and Liberals/leftist/new Marxist approving - how insane!
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Ed: If a guy says "Muslims do not simply have a deficient theology. They do not know God because they have rejected Jesus Christ, His Son, and they stand condemned." then yes, I question his objectivity.

But one would question such a person's objectivity based upon WHAT? Let's replace the sentence with other faiths:
"_____________________ don't simply have deficient theology, but they do not know God because they have rejected (Allah / Muhammad; Whatever Hindu or Sikh god's teachings; Some tenant of Buddhism (that disqualifies them from knowing some truth); Or atheists and agnostics because they reject God (or whatever god / gods)? An atheist or agnostic that says (like Bernie), "You ___________ (whatever faith is followed) are not objective because you believe in ___________ (whatever God or god amongst a huge number of faith traditions)." You see, people around the world would have a belief about eternal matters that conflict with all others faiths, on key points. In fact, this is the crux of the argument against all religions basically teach the same things, or the assertion they're ALL just different paths to the same God.

But the problem with BERNIE is that he's applying his political rhetoric to a spiritual assessment. It's not that he's incorrect about the objectivity of a Christian when it comes to eternity and salvation - of COURSE Bible-believing Christians believe rejecting Christ prevents a person's salvation, and so, at the present, no, they do NOT know God. Others of other faiths would say something similar, based upon their own faith. But the problem I have - which is HUGE - is that Bernie thinks that only those who believe as he does should even be ALLOWED to hold office! HUGE difference. Of course, Bernie, like anyone else (at least, for now) is free to decline to vote for a Christian or whatever faith type he doesn't agree with. But to prevent them from holding office? Prevent them from exercising their faith as they see fit, AS LONG AS it doesn't truly hurt another (inconveniences are NOT a true hurt, BTW). Again, Bernie boy would never make such a statement about Muslims, other people of faiths - probably not of Catholics or Jews, Mormons, etc. So, let's be clear, people like Bernie would alter the constitution and use people's faith against them, as THEY see fit. The ultimate oxymoron: A "tolerant leftist/progressive" - they don't exist! Least I've never run across one.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Yes. Phil just posted a link, and then you carried on with your whiny-like Christian horse manure. Why not just concede Sanders was barking up a weong tree? You know, acknowledge he was being stupid. Only, I think you'd wholeheartedly support Sanders, you are afterall left "centrist". Which explains why you responded to Phil's link the way you did.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
edwardmurphy
Ultimate Member

Post by edwardmurphy »

Bernie had a point. Our government is secular, and it's reasonable to question whether a person who goes to the trouble to publicly state that Muslims are damned to Hell would treat all citizens equally.

I responded the way I did because Phil seemed to be making a political point, and frankly because I get sick of hearing conservative Christians throwing hissy fits over every perceived slight. It's tiresome listening to members of the privileged majority crying about persecution. Poor, poor Evangelical conservatives, outnumbered and powerless, always getting picked on by atheists and liberal Jews. Will they ever catch a break...?
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by thatkidakayoungguy »

Yea, Bernie had a point. But, to ask, Ed, you said no army has marched under the banner of atheism. What about when atheism got aligned with communism?