Are radical Muslims a minority?

Discussions about politics and goings on around the world. (Please keep discussions civil!)
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Re: Are radical Muslims a minority?

Post by Kurieuo »

thatkidakayoungguy wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:
thatkidakayoungguy wrote:Yes not all Muslims are bad, the problem is that they are likely to be brainwashed into terrorism.
Brainwashed into Islamic ideology.
Fair enough, but then it must be said most Muslims are radicals, since they don't follow word for word what the Koran says. As far as I can tell that is.
It is important to note that Islam has ramifications upon political systems, social conduct (enforced), military strataegy and not simply beliefs to do with God, prayers or supplication to such.

Not all Muslims pay attention to, or heed the words of Muhammad were he says to kill the immoral infidels, bring terror to them. At the end of the day people also have a moral conscience embedded within them. Yet, the Muslims who are actually hypocritical and radical with their Islam, are not the terrorists who are the ones remaining faithful to Islamic teachings.

I think, that's what much of secular society, or a gullible Western society, doesn't really understand. They don't really take Islamic beliefs as found in the Quran seriously. Where they read rather extreme sounding words, it boggles their mind so much, they think there is surely a way around such words because noone could seriously embrace such horrific sounding things.

So your Westerner tunes out, letting themselves be guided by their cultivated Western sensibilities, to think there is this thing call "extreme Islam" when in fact Islamic teachings are extreme. Moderate Islam, there is really no such thing (as Erdogan himself said). What we call such, we may as well call it hypocritical Islam or false Islam. Like Christians, like in any "religion", there are a whole lot of hypocrites or people going with what they "feel" is right, rather than what is actually taught as truth.

In the case of Islam, and Muslims who wouldn't dare chop of our heads as infidels but protect us from those Muslims faithfully carrying out Allah's commands, such are a blessing. Yet, the root issue isn't the people, or Muslims, being your kind or extreme type, rather in the teachings and Islamic ideology itself.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
edwardmurphy
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by edwardmurphy »

Damn it...

Here's the thing - I don't know much about Islam, and what I do know is history, not religion. Reading between the lines of the comments here, I don't think you guys know much about Islam, either. Those of you who claim to seem to have gotten your information from anti-Islamic propagandists. You wouldn't think it was fair if I got all of my information on Christianity from evilbible.com*, and by the same token I'm skeptical of anyone who cites jihadwatch.com as a source.

So I guess the obvious conclusion is that I'm going to have to go to the source. I'm going to have to read the stupid Koran so that I can decide for myself. This sucks. I hate reading holy texts, but I care about the truth, so I'll do it. Damn it.

* Interesting site, Evil Bible. I think it's defunct now, but it was once maintained by B.W.'s atheist doppelganger. Man, would I ever love to see those guys together.
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by thatkidakayoungguy »

Kurieuo wrote:
I think, that's what much of secular society, or a gullible Western society, doesn't really understand. They don't really take Islamic beliefs as found in the Quran seriously. Where they read rather extreme sounding words, it boggles their mind so much, they think there is surely a way around such words because noone could seriously embrace such horrific sounding things.
And yet Jews and Christians (especially the latter) get crap thrown at them bc the OT, which was for a time and place only, was violent as well.
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by thatkidakayoungguy »

edwardmurphy wrote:Damn it...

Here's the thing - I don't know much about Islam, and what I do know is history, not religion. Reading between the lines of the comments here, I don't think you guys know much about Islam, either. Those of you who claim to seem to have gotten your information from anti-Islamic propagandists. You wouldn't think it was fair if I got all of my information on Christianity from evilbible.com*, and by the same token I'm skeptical of anyone who cites jihadwatch.com as a source.

So I guess the obvious conclusion is that I'm going to have to go to the source. I'm going to have to read the stupid Koran so that I can decide for myself. This sucks. I hate reading holy texts, but I care about the truth, so I'll do it. Damn it.

* Interesting site, Evil Bible. I think it's defunct now, but it was once maintained by B.W.'s atheist doppelganger. Man, would I ever love to see those guys together.
I might as well too. We could read Islamic apologists too to see if they have good arguments for why the Koran says what is says.
edwardmurphy
Ultimate Member

Post by edwardmurphy »

I've read some apologists. Obviously they disagree with the assessment that their religion is evil and bloodthirsty. Their contention is that anti-Muslim propagandists have been cherry picking the Koran in order to support their characterization of Islam. I strongly suspect that they have a valid point, much like Christians have a point when they complain about critics of their faith cherry picking from the OT.

That said, I don't imagine that many here would take the word of an apologist, even if said apologist was an acknowledged expert on the subject. This is about my own education.
Philip
Site Owner
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Philip »

And here we see the problem, even amongst Saudi soccer players, with all but one failing to stand to show a minute of silent respect for the London Bridge victims: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDkXLVbSV68

Glad that one fellow thinks for himself!

Ah, but here is one Islamic imam's explanation of why the snub of respecting the victims: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... l-lie.html
edwardmurphy
Ultimate Member

Post by edwardmurphy »

Phil, literally every single person in that entire video was standing.

Also, here's their response.

They didn't line up, but they stood respectfully. Aussie fans reported that men in the stands who appeared to be Saudi also stood.

This is a ridiculous complaint.
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Storyteller »

It appeared to me that the Saudi players while perhaps not participating actively in the minutes silence did, at least, respect our culture.

As for the Koran debate, looks like I'll have to join ed and kid in reading it.
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

OK, Story, here's some "nice" Islamic outtakes from the Quran - see what you think:

http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/pages ... lence.aspx
edwardmurphy
Ultimate Member

Post by edwardmurphy »

Seems like you're missing the point, Phil.
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

The Inman in the link gets the point - first, he says it is a 'lie' to say the Muslim culture does not remember the dead with a moment of silence, and instead argues the football team did not partake in the mourning because they stand with the jihadist men. Specifically, the inman related: "They did not stop for a moment of silence because according to Wahhabi Islam - which governs Saudi Arabia - it is not wrong or a sin for a Muslim to kill a non-Muslim," he told Daily Mail Australia.

The INMAN certainly agreed that the Saudi team (except for one) deliberately didn't stand to respect those killed. Then he gives the reason.

Ed, I get the point perfectly. You and Story said you need to read up on what Islam actually teaches, so I provided some relevant links.
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Storyteller »

I read it and i'm pondering.

I appreciate the link Philip, I need to read it a few more times, absorb what it says, what it means.
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

The issues in Islam MUST be addressed.
People speak of context of those verses, so lets take the natural path then:
If there are verses that can be taken out of context ( and that is the case with some BUT not with many others that openly state to do horrific things) then THAT MUST be addressed so that people are NOR radicalized.
Is this happening? and to what extent?
edwardmurphy
Ultimate Member

Post by edwardmurphy »

Your "relevant links" were to an anti-Islamic website. I'm not going to get the lowdown on Pepsi from a Coke rep.