Rise in atheism and secularism

Discussions about politics and goings on around the world. (Please keep discussions civil!)
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Rise in atheism and secularism

Post by thatkidakayoungguy »

What's your opinion on it?
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Rise in atheism and secularism

Post by RickD »

thatkidakayoungguy wrote:What's your opinion on it?
I lack belief in it.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Hortator
Advanced Senior Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Hortator »

Call me a skeptic, pun intended, but I think atheism/secularism and stuff in between has plateau'd in recent years. It spiked around the start of this millennia, but hasn't gone up or down.
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

I think Atheism spiked about 10 years ago and reached its peak,but has steadily declined since then thanks to Christian apologetics.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
Hortator
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Hortator »

abelcainsbrother wrote:

I think Atheism spiked about 10 years ago and reached its peak,but has steadily declined since then thanks to Christian apologetics.
That's a bit optimistic I think. Christian apologetics seeks to give a critical second look at scripture. You can't convince people who refuse to take a first look at it, apart from the ones who like to mine for quotes they can use out of context.
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

I personally think it's illogical but it's rising due to understandable concern. Some see all the different religions and think if religion is true why the contradiction, others see some violent verses in texts like the Koran or the Bible and they won't accept it, etc. I'm not saying I agree with their decision but I see why they do this.
Then of course there's some that just reject it and no matter how good the apologetic, they won't be convinced or accept.
patrick
Established Member

Post by patrick »

Well, I think secular sentiments are still rising, though I'd have guessed that it's more that people are having increasingly secular takes on their religion.
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

patrick wrote:Well, I think secular sentiments are still rising, though I'd have guessed that it's more that people are having increasingly secular takes on their religion.
That too, as we see in the rise of religious books calling it all myths and stuff like that.
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

Hortator wrote:
abelcainsbrother wrote:

That's a bit optimistic I think. Christian apologetics seeks to give a critical second look at scripture. You can't convince people who refuse to take a first look at it, apart from the ones who like to mine for quotes they can use out of context.
It has been awhile since I researched this but from what I found out.Is that Christians are leaving these big corrupt churchs that no longer really preach the gospel or God's word but offer fluff sermons that really don't impact lives.

People are leaving these churchs however they are not losing their faith in Jesus. More and more people are claiming they believe in Jesus but don't consider themselves religious people. But to alot of people and even atheists they are lumped into becoming atheist.But atheism is weak and empty does'nt offer much and so people are not really becoming atheist they are just leaving these corrupt churchs.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
Hortator
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Hortator »

abelcainsbrother wrote:
Hortator wrote:
abelcainsbrother wrote:

It has been awhile since I researched this but from what I found out.Is that Christians are leaving these big corrupt churchs that no longer really preach the gospel or God's word but offer fluff sermons that really don't impact lives.

People are leaving these churchs however they are not losing their faith in Jesus. More and more people are claiming they believe in Jesus but don't consider themselves religious people. But to alot of people and even atheists they are lumped into becoming atheist.But atheism is weak and empty does'nt offer much and so people are not really becoming atheist they are just leaving these corrupt churchs.
I wanted to get to that. I literally heard a news report on the radio talking about this very thing just this morning. It was short, but survey finding that, through traditional means of measurement, "religiosity" (just call it Christianity, k?) is not as present in today, particularly in millennials.

If you're measuring the number of Christians in this country through hours of prayer, hours of weekly church attendance, and et cetera, you're going to get a lower number of people who identify as Christian. That's common sense to us, maybe not to the media nor this survey group.

They don't understand that you can be Christian and not participate in man-made rituals or activities pertaining to Christ. They believe the bible is a book of morals. While there is a moral code in the bible, the bible is not it's self, a moral code.

It's as simple as this: Do you love God? [X]yes [ ]no

It doesn't take a MENSA meeting to find that out
gardener59
Newbie Member

Post by gardener59 »

My husband and I are both Christians that came from Christians families going way back, all our 5 adult kids don't believe in God. They think it conflicts with science and physics (which I don't think it does, depends on how it's interpreted). My husband and our son have been in huge heated arguments about it before my son moved out into the world. These arguments made us rethink the bible and see it in a whole new light which makes a lot more sense, but the kids would laugh at us. For instance Genesis has 2 stories, the 1st one is the evolving earth, plants, animals, and man, which took as long as scientists say the age of the earth is. The word "day" in Genesis means era. The 2nd story is Adam and Eve taken from the DNA that was already hear. Then there's Noah's flood. It's scientifically impossible for the whole planet to flood. It's also impossible to fit every animal on earth on this ark. A local flood makes more sense. The bible is all about the Hebrew bloodline. God didn't regret making man as in all the people on earth, he was talking about the people related to Adam and Eve because they became corrupted, so it was narrowed back down to Noah and his family which led to Jesus. From Noah's point of view, I'm sure it looked like the whole world was flooded. Now today the churches have corrupted God and Jesus with their multimillion dollar businesses and claiming they can heal people. So the young generations today think it's all a scam to make money. The religious children's books and movies really distorted the truth and made the bible look stupid. That's my view on it from my own personal experience.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

The simple fact that some of the most famous scientists of the past were Christian and that many scientist now are also, clearly shows that Christianity and science are compatible, to say the very least.
The very foundation of the scientific method is echoed in the core doctrine of Christianity of the "goal directness" we find in nature.
You should note, gardener59, that your view is not a new one or even a fringe one, but one that various branches of Christianity ( I daresay mainstream Christianity) has had for some time ( to one degree or another)
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

My church is largely YEC and they sometimes watch stuff called "creation science" which I used to buy into but now I see it as largely pseudo scientific and full of baloney, well the young earth version anyhow. I can't tell my church that since they'd think I'm against God. I dont want to speak bad about my church as they are actually a good bible based one, but no one's perfect.