Nixon vs. Trump

Discussions about politics and goings on around the world. (Please keep discussions civil!)
ultimate777
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Nixon vs. Trump

Post by ultimate777 »

If Nixon were alive and well and running one on one against Trump who would you vote for?
Philip
Site Owner
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Nixon vs. Trump

Post by Philip »

An older and hopefully far wiser (and alive today, having learned very hard lessons from his notorius past) Nixon?
Hortator
Advanced Senior Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Hortator »

Nixon was Johnson on steroids, no thanks
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Nixon was Johnson on steroids, no thanks
To believe that is to buy into media-driven popular mythology. Johnson was a piece of work beyond one's imagination. He and others in Texas virtually rigged elections. He massively pushed expansion of the dependencies of the welfare state. Notice, you often hear older Democrats wax nostalgically about Kennedy - but almost never about Johnson - there are key reasons for that. For one, Johnson hated both JFK and RFK. They viewed him as an uncouth bully from redneck Texas. He viewed them as clueless Harvard smartypants and pinheads, who had mostly a textbook understanding of the world. Johnson was a ruthless guy - like a bull in a china shop! The biggest differences between the two, per media myth, are largely due to the fact that Nixon got caught on tape with transcripts doing nefarious things. Johnson just didn't get caught - least not in any great scandal. But subsequently, his history has been revealed to show what he was really capable of. Johnson, in fact, LIKED much of Nixon's foreign policy stances. He did not like McGovern - thought him too far left.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

ultimate777 wrote:If Nixon were alive and well and running one on one against Trump who would you vote for?
It depends on who is running as the republican candidate. Seeing how they both ran as republicans, only one could run under the republican ticket.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
ultimate777

Post by ultimate777 »

Philip wrote:An older and hopefully far wiser (and alive today, having learned very hard lessons from his notorius past) Nixon?
Either way.
ultimate777

Post by ultimate777 »

RickD wrote:
ultimate777 wrote:If Nixon were alive and well and running one on one against Trump who would you vote for?
It depends on who is running as the republican candidate. Seeing how they both ran as republicans, only one could run under the republican ticket.
OK, how about them running for the nomination, say you're a republican, and they have a Presidential primary in your state?
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

ultimate777 wrote:
RickD wrote:
OK, how about them running for the nomination, say you're a republican, and they have a Presidential primary in your state?
Well, seeing that there were 17 Republican candidates this election, in not sure I'd vote for either of them in a primary. For me, Trump was near the bottom of the 17 candidates. I wouldn't say he was 17th on my list, but he was close to the bottom. I would not have voted for Trump in the primary. And since I'm not sure what Nixon really ran on, I probably would only vote for him in the general election, if I really didn't like his democratic opponent. I'd vote for almost anyone, if that person ran against Hillary. Except for Bernie.
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

edwardmurphy
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by edwardmurphy »

RickD wrote:
You lack imagination.

What if the election were held between 1999 and 2001 when Trump was in the Independence Party? Or between 2001 and 2009 when he was a Democrat? Or 2011 to 2012 when he was an independent? What would you do then?
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

edwardmurphy wrote:
RickD wrote:
You lack imagination.

What if the election were held between 1999 and 2001 when Trump was in the Independence Party? Or between 2001 and 2009 when he was a Democrat? Or 2011 to 2012 when he was an independent? What would you do then?
The Independence Party was founded in 2007, so I'm not sure how Trump could've been in a non-existent political party.

So, in your hypothetical, I really don't think Trump would even have had a chance to win. It needed to be this exact election, for everything to fall into place as it did.

Under different circumstances, I really have no idea if I would've voted for either of them.

From the way the OP was worded, I assumed Ultimate was talking about this past election.

I really don't know a whole lot about Nixon, but I've heard more than a few people who were staunch republicans, wish they had voted for Kennedy. And FYI, Kennedy lost the popular vote.

-Edward R Murrow

edwardmurphy
Ultimate Member

Post by edwardmurphy »

My mistake. It was the Reform Party. That's the one founded in 1997, not the one founded in 1997 or the one founded in 1871, just so we're clear.

Suppose that Trump was a Klingon, but his opponent was a Feregni. Obviously Trump would be stronger on national security, but nobody makes trade deals like a Ferengi. And what if there was a third party, helmed by a progressive Romulan? What would you do then?
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

edwardmurphy wrote:My mistake. It was the Reform Party. That's the one founded in 1997, not the one founded in 1997 or the one founded in 1871, just so we're clear.

Suppose that Trump was a Klingon, but his opponent was a Feregni. Obviously Trump would be stronger on national security, but nobody makes trade deals like a Ferengi. And what if there was a third party, helmed by a progressive Romulan? What would you do then?
Can klingis, ferungis, and Romanians even run for US president? If I had half a brain, I'd think you were trying to get me to vote for an illegal extraterrestrial.

And I find it highly offensive that you are mocking ultimate777's serious thread. :lol:

-Edward R Murrow

edwardmurphy
Ultimate Member

Post by edwardmurphy »

Canadian extraterrestrial Ted Cruz did, so I assume so.
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by thatkidakayoungguy »

:lol:
ultimate777

Post by ultimate777 »

RickD wrote:
ultimate777 wrote:
RickD wrote:
Well, seeing that there were 17 Republican candidates this election, in not sure I'd vote for either of them in a primary. For me, Trump was near the bottom of the 17 candidates. I wouldn't say he was 17th on my list, but he was close to the bottom. I would not have voted for Trump in the primary. And since I'm not sure what Nixon really ran on, I probably would only vote for him in the general election, if I really didn't like his democratic opponent. I'd vote for almost anyone, if that person ran against Hillary. Except for Bernie.
I said one on one.