LGBTQ

Discussions about politics and goings on around the world. (Please keep discussions civil!)
Nessa
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: LGBTQ

Post by Nessa »

Hortator wrote:How much longer is that acronym going to get? In some rather established circles, it's actually LGBTQIA+, with the I being "intersex" and the A being asexual. And the + being "whoever we forgot / wants to feel special."

And still even further, Dan Savage, an official-unofficial spokeshead, has claimed that it should really be LGBTQLFTSQIAP. Let me break it down,
lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans, queer, leather/fetish, two-spirit, questioning, intersex, and asexual [and polyamory] community/communities
:shakehead:
IceMobster
Christian: No
Sex: Male

Post by IceMobster »

Enjoy the scientific research proving no LGBTQ illness is something you are born with.

http://www.thenewatlantis.com/publicati ... and-gender
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGOXMf6yDCU

Fecisti nos ad te, Domine, et inquietum est cor nostrum donec requiescat in te!
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

edwardmurphy wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:Then there is the obvious issues of how homosexuality is evolutionary disadvantage for the human species and so forth.
No doubt. That's probably why we couldn't compete with the dire wolves, short faced bears, and sabre toothed cats.

Please enlighten me on how homosexuals procreate and have procreated since the dawn of time.
And, of course, if you state that they did so heterosexually, then you are stating that they survived IN SPITE of their sexual preference and not because of it.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

IceMobster wrote:Enjoy the scientific research proving no LGBTQ illness is something you are born with.

http://www.thenewatlantis.com/publicati ... and-gender
Yes I believe that is the one that the former head of the Mayo clinic was involved in.
edwardmurphy
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by edwardmurphy »

IceMobster wrote:Enjoy the scientific research proving no LGBTQ illness is something you are born with.
What?

Are you trying to say that the article proves that homosexuality is a mental illness, or that it proves that there's no genetic predisposition toward homosexuality, or both, or something else entirely?

Please, kid, proofread.
IceMobster

Post by IceMobster »

edwardmurphy wrote:
What?

Are you trying to say that the article proves that homosexuality is a mental illness, or that it proves that there's no genetic predisposition toward homosexuality, or both, or something else entirely?

Please, kid, proofread.
Since you are too lazy to even click the link, allow me to copy paste a small part for you:
  • While some people are under the impression that sexual orientation is an innate, fixed, and biological trait of human beings — that, whether heterosexual, homosexual, or bisexual, we are “born that way” — there is insufficient scientific evidence to support that claim. In fact, the concept of sexual orientation itself is highly ambiguous; it can refer to a set of behaviors, to feelings of attraction, or to a sense of identity. Epidemiological studies show a rather modest association between genetic factors and sexual attractions or behaviors, but do not provide significant evidence pointing to particular genes. There is also evidence for other hypothesized biological causes of homosexual behaviors, attractions, or identity — such as the influence of hormones on prenatal development — but that evidence, too, is limited. Studies of the brains of homosexuals and heterosexuals have found some differences, but have not demonstrated that these differences are inborn rather than the result of environmental factors that influenced both psychological and neurobiological traits. One environmental factor that appears to be correlated with non-heterosexuality is childhood sexual abuse victimization, which may also contribute to the higher rates of poor mental health outcomes among non-heterosexual subpopulations, compared to the general population. Overall, the evidence suggests some measure of fluidity in patterns of sexual attraction and behavior — contrary to the “born that way” notion that oversimplifies the vast complexity of human sexuality.
I haven't read it whole yet and he most probably doesn't refer to homosexuality as a mental illness. However, "born that way" is bs.
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGOXMf6yDCU

Fecisti nos ad te, Domine, et inquietum est cor nostrum donec requiescat in te!
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Let's look at it this way:

Would you say that someone that wants to mutilate themselves or engage in an activity that they know is not healthy has some sort of mental issue?
Hortator
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Hortator »

PaulSacramento wrote:Let's look at it this way:

Would you say that someone that wants to mutilate themselves or engage in an activity that they know is not healthy has some sort of mental issue?
"But, consent!"
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

thatkidakayoungguy wrote:Just curious, if homosexuals, bisexuals, and maybe transgender (not sure) are born that way, then why is there a Questioning aspect of LGBTQ?
To be clear, I'm not trying to hate on anyone, I'm just questioning.
I've heard both yes and no for transgender being born that way.
Even if a person was born 'gay', it doesnt necessarily make it a good thing. And it doesnt mean a persons choice is taken from them.

We have just had a homosexual couple (females) move in next door... at the moment Im more worried about their pitball tho :shock:
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Nessa wrote:
thatkidakayoungguy wrote:Just curious, if homosexuals, bisexuals, and maybe transgender (not sure) are born that way, then why is there a Questioning aspect of LGBTQ?
To be clear, I'm not trying to hate on anyone, I'm just questioning.
I've heard both yes and no for transgender being born that way.
Even if a person was born 'gay', it doesnt necessarily make it a good thing. And it doesnt mean a persons choice is taken from them.

We have just had a homosexual couple (females) move in next door... at the moment Im more worried about their pitball tho :shock:
At your age, I wouldn't worry about any neighbor hitting on you...man or woman.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

We are NOT slaves to our sexual proclivities anymore than we are to any other proclivity.
edwardmurphy
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by edwardmurphy »

Nessa wrote:Even if a person was born 'gay', it doesnt necessarily make it a good thing. And it doesnt mean a persons choice is taken from them.
Hang on there...

If you're born gay then that means that's how God wants you to be, does it not? And yet the Bible prohibits homosexuality. So why would God make a subset of people a certain way and then prohibit them from acting on their hardwired impulses?

I look forward to some great logical gymnastics.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

edwardmurphy wrote:
Nessa wrote:Even if a person was born 'gay', it doesnt necessarily make it a good thing. And it doesnt mean a persons choice is taken from them.
Hang on there...

If you're born gay then that means that's how God wants you to be, does it not? And yet the Bible prohibits homosexuality. So why would God make a subset of people a certain way and then prohibit them from acting on their hardwired impulses?

Wow, you really do NOT know much about classical theism at all.
If you did you would see the false premise you have stated.
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

edwardmurphy wrote:
Hang on there...

logical gymastics? I cant even touch my toes :econfused:

I think that kind of simplistic reasoning is beneath you.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Supposedly if one is born with the proclivity to have sex with animals, God intended that too and lets not forget those born with an addictive personalities.