Discussions about politics and goings on around the world. (Please keep discussions civil!)
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Post by thatkidakayoungguy »

http://discussions.godandscience.org/vi ... 03#p223603
I think this society is getting more like 1984, the above link just made me think about it.
IceMobster
Christian: No

Re: 1984

Post by IceMobster »

1984 was a warning, not an instruction manual! :mrgreen:
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGOXMf6yDCU

Fecisti nos ad te, Domine, et inquietum est cor nostrum donec requiescat in te!
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

IceMobster wrote:1984 was a warning, not an instruction manual! :mrgreen:
Haha yeah, but if we realize that our society's going down that way, then maybe we can help to stop it.
Already political correctness are making words banned that might be offensive-not sensible bans like the n word but simple everyday words. I also see double standards, blacks can say the n word but no one else can yet we're supposed to be equal.
I fear political correctness will make thoughtcrime a reality. How, idk, but maybe they'll have technology someday that can read minds.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

We need more 1984.

The music was amazing.

http://www.billboard.com/photos/6296342 ... ms-of-1984
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
IceMobster

Post by IceMobster »

thatkidakayoungguy wrote:
Haha yeah, but if we realize that our society's going down that way, then maybe we can help to stop it.
Already political correctness are making words banned that might be offensive-not sensible bans like the n word but simple everyday words. I also see double standards, blacks can say the n word but no one else can yet we're supposed to be equal.
I fear political correctness will make thoughtcrime a reality. How, idk, but maybe they'll have technology someday that can read minds.
Yes, I know what you mean. Hopefully such nonsense reaches my country never.
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGOXMf6yDCU

Fecisti nos ad te, Domine, et inquietum est cor nostrum donec requiescat in te!
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

IceMobster wrote:
thatkidakayoungguy wrote:
Yes, I know what you mean. Hopefully such nonsense reaches my country never.
I'm not sure where you're at but West Europe seems to be getting more like this.
Philip
Site Owner
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Philip »

Rick in the 1980s:

He dug the hairstyles:

And STILL does!

:pound:
edwardmurphy
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by edwardmurphy »

thatkidakayoungguy wrote:I think this society is getting more like 1984
It's strange to me that so many people worry about Orwell's vision while failing to notice that we've been living in Huxley's brave, new world for years. We're surrounded by so much evidence, but people can't see the forest for the trees...
Nessa
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Nessa »

RickD wrote:We need more 1984.

The music was amazing.

http://www.billboard.com/photos/6296342 ... ms-of-1984
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

edwardmurphy wrote:
thatkidakayoungguy wrote:I think this society is getting more like 1984
It's strange to me that so many people worry about Orwell's vision while failing to notice that we've been living in Huxley's brave, new world for years. We're surrounded by so much evidence, but people can't see the forest for the trees...
I haven't read his book nor have I researched much about it, so I wouldn't know.
edwardmurphy
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by edwardmurphy »

This is from Wikipedia. I think it covers the difference pretty well.
Social critic Neil Postman wrote: What Orwell feared were those who would ban books. What Huxley feared was that there would be no reason to ban a book, for there would be no one who wanted to read one. Orwell feared those who would deprive us of information. Huxley feared those who would give us so much that we would be reduced to passivity and egotism. Orwell feared that the truth would be concealed from us. Huxley feared the truth would be drowned in a sea of irrelevance. Orwell feared we would become a captive culture. Huxley feared we would become a trivial culture, preoccupied with some equivalent of the feelies, the orgy porgy, and the centrifugal bumblepuppy. As Huxley remarked in Brave New World Revisited, the civil libertarians and rationalists who are ever on the alert to oppose tyranny "failed to take into account man's almost infinite appetite for distractions." In 1984, Orwell added, people are controlled by inflicting pain. In Brave New World, they are controlled by inflicting pleasure. In short, Orwell feared that our fear will ruin us. Huxley feared that our desire will ruin us.
Anyway, it's a short book. It's worth a read.
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

edwardmurphy wrote:This is from Wikipedia. I think it covers the difference pretty well.
Social critic Neil Postman wrote: What Orwell feared were those who would ban books. What Huxley feared was that there would be no reason to ban a book, for there would be no one who wanted to read one. Orwell feared those who would deprive us of information. Huxley feared those who would give us so much that we would be reduced to passivity and egotism. Orwell feared that the truth would be concealed from us. Huxley feared the truth would be drowned in a sea of irrelevance. Orwell feared we would become a captive culture. Huxley feared we would become a trivial culture, preoccupied with some equivalent of the feelies, the orgy porgy, and the centrifugal bumblepuppy. As Huxley remarked in Brave New World Revisited, the civil libertarians and rationalists who are ever on the alert to oppose tyranny "failed to take into account man's almost infinite appetite for distractions." In 1984, Orwell added, people are controlled by inflicting pain. In Brave New World, they are controlled by inflicting pleasure. In short, Orwell feared that our fear will ruin us. Huxley feared that our desire will ruin us.
Anyway, it's a short book. It's worth a read.
You're right, we are in that type of society.