revival in norse myth

Discussions about politics and goings on around the world. (Please keep discussions civil!)
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

revival in norse myth

Post by thatkidakayoungguy »

Is this partly due to gaming?
edwardmurphy
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Re: revival in norse myth

Post by edwardmurphy »

I haven't noticed a revival of Norse mythology, but if there's actually been one then yeah, I'd imagine that it's fueled by pop culture (which would include games). That show Vikings on the History Channel is pretty good. Although if the supposed revival is happening in Scandinavia I suppose it could be related to nationalism.

And just so were clear, I'm talking about an increased interest in Norse mythology as entertainment, not the reemergence of the worship of Odin and Thor. I'm pretty sure that hasn't happened.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Have to agree with Ed here on this one...

See Ed and I can actually agree on some things!
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
Hortator
Advanced Senior Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Hortator »

When you mention the Norse mythos and gaming, you really can't not mention Skyrim: Image
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

I'm pretty sure that Chris Hemsworth, that gorgeous hunk of a man, is solely responsible for any revival of interest in Norse mythology.

No woman can resist the lure of Thor.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by thatkidakayoungguy »

edwardmurphy wrote:I haven't noticed a revival of Norse mythology, but if there's actually been one then yeah, I'd imagine that it's fueled by pop culture (which would include games). That show Vikings on the History Channel is pretty good. Although if the supposed revival is happening in Scandinavia I suppose it could be related to nationalism.

And just so were clear, I'm talking about an increased interest in Norse mythology as entertainment, not the reemergence of the worship of Odin and Thor. I'm pretty sure that hasn't happened.
There has-
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heathenry ... _movement)
now i do like some middle earthish games
edwardmurphy
Ultimate Member

Post by edwardmurphy »

Ok, so according to Wikipedia this stuff has roots in Romanticism dating back to the 1800s. Modern paganism apparently became a thing in the 1960s. Pagans are divided roughly into two groups, which I'll call the Harmless Kooks (henceforth HK) and the Dangerous Kooks (henceforth DK).

The HK movement seems to be New Agey pan-theism with a sense of history. Meh, whatever.

The DK movement is apparently White Supremacists taking a page out of the Nazi playbook and looking to reconnect with their Aryan roots.

In the case of the HKs I imagine that they're motivated by the same urges and longings that sends people to religious cults or out looking for magic crystals or whatever. Who cares.

In the case of the DKs it seems like their emergence is tied to the recent wave of populist nationalism and white-identity politics that spawned Wilder, LePen, and Sideshow Don. That's a bit scary, but whatever. Nazis are scary regardless of whether or not they have goofy religious ideas.

Anyway, those are small groups of fringe crackpots. Most of the current popularity of Norse mythology seems to be based on a superficial interest in Vikings and superhero thunder gods.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Ed, perhaps I shouldn't ask. But honestly, who are more crackpot-like, the Norses or Christians and why?
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
edwardmurphy
Ultimate Member

Post by edwardmurphy »

I think that's something that has to be taken on a case by case basis.