The Left Coast Eco Freaks

Discussions about politics and goings on around the world. (Please keep discussions civil!)
Philip
Site Owner
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

The Left Coast Eco Freaks

Post by Philip »

Something seems inconsistent with the California tree-hugging crowd: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... 100615102/
edwardmurphy
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Re: The Left Coast Eco Freaks

Post by edwardmurphy »

So you're saying that they have a point and should keep working hard to protect the environment (and the people who live in it) from air pollution?
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Ed: So you're saying that they have a point and should keep working hard to protect the environment (and the people who live in it) from air pollution?
Ed, it's merely a case of how surprising, as a state so environmentally conscious, that it has such severe pollution problems. I would think bad policies, at some level, surely have played a role in this.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Philip wrote:
Ed: So you're saying that they have a point and should keep working hard to protect the environment (and the people who live in it) from air pollution?
Ed, it's merely a case of how surprising, as a state so environmentally conscious, that it has such severe pollution problems. I would think bad policies, at some level, surely have played a role in this.
Its California - what else can you say?

Surf's up!
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
JButler
Established Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by JButler »

California has had tough MV emission controls for a good 40 years. And still the LA basin looks like that. y/:]
If the truth hurts, maybe it should.
Hortator
Advanced Senior Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Hortator »

I think anywhere there's a lot of people, a lot of pollution will follow. Look at China for example.

It's a wonder Tokyo isn't a toxic waste dump, either. And India? Well, they do have a "pollution" problem, but it's a bit more horrific than harsh chemicals in the air.
JButler wrote:California has had tough MV emission controls for a good 40 years. And still the LA basin looks like that. y/:]
A problem created by government you say? Never fear, all we need is MORE government! :mrgreen:
edwardmurphy
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by edwardmurphy »

Seriously? The government caused pollution by regulating emissions? Come on, H, think a bit. The air quality there is terrible, but without strong emissions standards it would be a lot worse. There's only so much the "eco freaks" can do...
JButler
Established Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by JButler »

The Fed and Cali govt haven't made much of a dent, despite near Draconian regulations imposed upon the people. The first time I was in LA (1984) it was pretty smoggy but I could easily see an inversion layer over the area which traps the atmosphere underneath it. Since then we've been to LA about a dozen times. The smog varies mostly dependent on the weather pattern.

About three years ago , the LA local govt actually had an advisory for our whole visit, first I heard since '84. That was the worst I'd seen it since 1984. I was glad to leave, it was torturing my sinuses and eyes. LA has a set of geological features and weather patterns that seem to make the perfect storm for persistent smog. I've been in a lot of big metro areas with just as much traffic but nowhere near the smog of LA.

Thanks to NAFTA polluting Mexican trucks and cars were allowed to come into the US much further than before. But, in the big picture the active volcanoes around the world spew out more contaminants than most countries combined. I get a daily update so I'm seeing photos and video every day. .

I've saying for years this earth is only a few good volcanoes away from life altering climate change in an unimaginable way.
If the truth hurts, maybe it should.
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

LA has a set of geological features and weather patterns that seem to make the perfect storm for persistent smog.
To be fair - all the joking about CA environmental whacko jokes aside - the terrain and forces of the surrounding mountain ranges, they stack the deck against certain parts of CA - particularly LA, the valley. But all of it - I dunno?
Hortator
Advanced Senior Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Hortator »

Philip wrote:
LA has a set of geological features and weather patterns that seem to make the perfect storm for persistent smog.
To be fair - all the joking about CA environmental whacko jokes aside - the terrain and forces of the surrounding mountain ranges, they stack the deck against certain parts of CA - particularly LA, the valley. But all of it - I dunno?
Playing devil's advocate, would a little smog build up the human body's resistance to it? I mean, can't native Californians adapt to their climate in similar ways other humans have adapted to cold climates, sunny climates or dry climates?
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Philip wrote:
Yes it does, it is called inversion...

Also, the central valley's water supply is tainted by chemical fertilizers and has inversion effects of smog as well.

Yes, they Govt is eco-friendly but not enough to forgo political party donations by the major polluters supporting the Democrat party which has ruled the state for how many years now?

Yes, ban the agriculture and the state would lose its illegal migrant votes and fed funding to support them which is in turn manipulated in countless ways never to solve any problems. So as you see, there is no solution for CA... :nooo:
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys