Chemical Attack in Syria

Discussions about politics and goings on around the world. (Please keep discussions civil!)
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Re: Chemical Attack in Syria

Post by Kurieuo »

RickD wrote:Which promises is Trump breaking(besides putting Hillary in prison)?
1) Repealing Obamacare

2) Trump's foreign policy of not looking for regime changes:
Trump wrote:We will pursue a new foreign policy that finally learns from the mistakes of the past. We will stop looking to topple regimes and overthrow governments. …In our dealings with other countries we will seek shared interests wherever possible...”
Also, interesting interview by David Knight and Lee Ann Mcadoo (Info Wars) discussing with Syrian Girl: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nx19pEalgoc
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

Trump's foreign policy was in opposition to what Obama/Clintons/Bushes/Neo cons were doing for over 20 years, and played a big part in his election. He constantly bagged previous administrations, and now TRex wants to do the same, and Trump goes along with it.

For an easier to watch video by Paul Joseph Watson which I see sums everything up well, Abe, Rick,

https://youtu.be/EXuV64hp4dk
Philip
Site Owner
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Philip »

ACB: There are some Trump supporters who don't like this what Trump has done, but they will be back as a Trump supporter soon once they understand why Trump did this.
Uh, what if what they learn makes them disagree with what he's done? Obviously you don't don't know either - meaning, you may well disagree, given more info. I'm not saying I think it was unmerited - I'm not military genius - maybe it was. But arguing for his righteousness in a matter you don't have clear answer on - well, ACB, you are showing your bias in being rabidly pro-Trump in all things. He's human. He's screwed up a LOT. Morally, his background has been very problematic. So, you need to be willing to criticize Trump where he deserves to be. That's not to say he's doesn't have a lot of good ideas - he does. But when he screws up - or you are uncertain - don't just raise your Trump flag ever higher.
ACB: I still don't know yet if it was the right thing to do ...
And yet you assert he's gonna be proven correct, that it was a smart move, but you're saying this before you yourself even know if it was a good idea.
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

Trump's support base calling him out when he stuffs up, is a powerful guide he's got. So it's good to criticize, and strongly so, when he stuffs up. Trump is human, not God with all the answers. Abe you should understand that. So, it is important, as someone who has backed Trump, to equality challenge him when he blunders to help serve as a corrective guide in his future decisions. Info Wars, Watson above, are good in this regard, particularly since I'm sure Trump understands the influence they carried in getting him elected. It would be foolish to ignore dissent by a large proportion of his alt media "fake news" support base
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

Philip wrote:
ACB: There are some Trump supporters who don't like this what Trump has done, but they will be back as a Trump supporter soon once they understand why Trump did this.
Uh, what if what they learn makes them disagree with what he's done? Obviously you don't don't know either - meaning, you may well disagree, given more info. I'm not saying I think it was unmerited - I'm not military genius - maybe it was. But arguing for his righteousness in a matter you don't have clear answer on - well, ACB, you are showing your bias in being rabidly pro-Trump in all things. He's human. He's screwed up a LOT. Morally, his background has been very problematic. So, you need to be willing to criticize Trump where he deserves to be. That's not to say he's doesn't have a lot of good ideas - he does. But when he screws up - or you are uncertain - don't just raise your Trump flag ever higher.
ACB: I still don't know yet if it was the right thing to do ...
And yet you assert he's gonna be proven correct, that it was a smart move, but you're saying this before you yourself even know if it was a good idea.

I'm just saying I don't know yet if this is a bad move by Trump despite the way it looks,it could be,but I don't know yet. And unlike others I'm going to wait and give it more time before I decide.I think people are over-reacting right now,but we will see.What if people are over-reacting for nothing? If they are they will be back.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
DBowling
Ultimate Member

Post by DBowling »

I think Trump got this one right.

His response was quick, but it was also measured, specific, and targeted the air field that the planes that delivered the chemical weapons came from.
He also gave his buddies the Russians a one hour notice.

I don't think it is a coincidence that he chose to launch the strike while he was talking to the leader of China about many things, including North Korea.
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

DBowling wrote:I think Trump got this one right.

His response was quick, but it was also measured, specific, and targeted the air field that the planes that delivered the chemical weapons came from.

I don't think it is a coincidence that he chose to launch the strike while he was talking to the leader of China about many things, including North Korea.
Abe, proof that Trump is catering to Neo-Con sensitivities.

Let's hope/pray that changes. Russia is sending in greater military to Syrian region, has suspended agreement with the US preventing direct conflict. When in place, the US, Turks, Israel, Saudis, Aussies, English and other Western counterparts, will be fair game as a matter of Syrian defence should they bomb or fire more missiles.

Neo-Cons are no doubt quite aware of this, they (indeed doesn't everyone?) understand Trump's nature to not back down if feeling affronted. They're counting on conflict. Counting on encouraging one more event, at just the right time, to ignite via Trump the US to finally go at it with Russia. That's why, this event is serious. It's setting the stage for what could become a nightmare conflict for the world.

I predict that China may too soon send in support behind Russia. And Iran, may also start coalescing their own forces in Syria. If this happens, then it has all the makings of a storm in a teacup waiting to happen involving many nations in direct military conflict.
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

DBowling wrote:His response was quick, but it was also measured, specific, and targeted the air field that the planes that delivered the chemical weapons came from.
Let's just forget the fact Syrian forces are fighting against ISIS, and now, due to the action of the US in this important area, they may not be able to defend a Christian town in Hama from jihadists. Again, the US have left a vacuum for terrorists to do more killing.

Isn't Trump meant to be focusing on fighting ISIS too? The US and Russia fighting ISIS side-by-side, "how great would that be?" Yes, striking Syria in a key area without a formal investigation was very measured. Much insight. Perhaps you should pray for your brothers and sisters in Syria.
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

Kurieuo wrote:
DBowling wrote:I think Trump got this one right.

Abe, proof that Trump is catering to Neo-Con sensitivities.

Let's hope/pray that changes. Russia is sending in greater military to Syrian region, has suspended agreement with the US preventing direct conflict. When in place, the US, Turks, Israel, Saudis, Aussies, English and other Western counterparts, will be fair game as a matter of Syrian defence should they bomb or fire more missiles.

Neo-Cons are no doubt quite aware of this, they (indeed doesn't everyone?) understand Trump's nature to not back down if feeling affronted. They're counting on conflict. Counting on encouraging one more event, at just the right time, to ignite via Trump the US to finally go at it with Russia. That's why, this event is serious. It's setting the stage for what could become a nightmare conflict for the world.

I predict that China may too soon send in support behind Russia. And Iran, may also start coalescing their own forces in Syria. If this happens, then it has all the makings of a storm in a teacup waiting to happen involving many nations in direct military conflict.

Yeah,I know very well what people are saying about this but they could be totally wrong.I'm not saying they are but I just don't buy into alot of it,atleast not now. Trump knows all about neo-cons and he has been speaking against them for years and I see no reason to believe he is being fooled by them now. How do you know he is not setting up John McCain?Or trying to expose neo-cons? So far all he has done is destroy chemical weapons that Assad was not supposed to have.It makes him look strong,Russia knew he was gonna do it,China even knows there is a new sheriff in town. Both Russia and China are hurting economically and China needs a strong America more than America needs them,this is why they have bought our debt for years.Let's wait and see is all I'm saying because we don't have all of the information Trump does and we don't know what his strategy is yet.He inherited this mess that Bush Jr and Obama got us into and he has to deal with it somehow.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Kurieuo wrote:
RickD wrote:Which promises is Trump breaking(besides putting Hillary in prison)?
1) Repealing Obamacare

2) Trump's foreign policy of not looking for regime changes:
Trump wrote:We will pursue a new foreign policy that finally learns from the mistakes of the past. We will stop looking to topple regimes and overthrow governments. …In our dealings with other countries we will seek shared interests wherever possible...”
Also, interesting interview by David Knight and Lee Ann Mcadoo (Info Wars) discussing with Syrian Girl: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nx19pEalgoc
K,

1) How is Trump breaking his promise to repeal and replace Obamacare? The plan he brought forward wasn't good enough to get the votes, but that doesn't mean he has stopped having people come up with a plan to repeal and replace, does it?

2) I'm not sure about this one, in light of the recent attack in Syria. One of the problems, if not THE main problem with "punishing" evil dictators, is that the vacuum created when they are removed from power, gets filled by something worse.

There are some great arguments for the US not being the world police force, and only attacking or invading other nations when it's in the interest of our national security.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

There are all manner of injustices I read of, evil people all over, where I'd like to see punished. But where does it serve our interests? So, we're talking about fake news. How about acts of warfare designed to provoke and made to appear as coming from Assad's forces? Shall we continue to attack amidst such uncertainties? There are so many evil factions that want to see us get sucked into another quagmire - and they are plotting to set the bait. Again, countless women, children and civilians have been killed by Assad and we don't take action. But killed by GAS with photos of dead children all over the net - suddenly we're looking at the very same end results, but are in outrage over the methodology employed. Why? War in that area only stops when one power gains an overwhelming upper hand. And the peace to be made isn't simply between two factions, but multiple ones that, if they could defeat Assad, would then begin warring between themselves to seek domination. ONLY if the conflict threatens beyond the region, does it make sense to intervene.
edwardmurphy
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by edwardmurphy »

RickD wrote:1) How is Trump breaking his promise to repeal and replace Obamacare? The plan he brought forward wasn't good enough to get the votes, but that doesn't mean he has stopped having people come up with a plan to repeal and replace, does it?
He said that he was done with Obamacare and his new plan is to wait and see if it collapses. Granted, what Trump says has no bearing on reality, so it's kind of tough to call it a broken promise. I doubt even Sideshow Don knows what he'll do next on healthcare.
RickD wrote:2) I'm not sure about this one, in light of the recent attack in Syria. One of the problems, if not THE main problem with "punishing" evil dictators, is that the vacuum created when they are removed from power, gets filled by something worse.

There are some great arguments for the US not being the world police force, and only attacking or invading other nations when it's in the interest of our national security.
The difference between isolationism and globalism is how broadly you view the scope of "the interest of our national security."

As far as broken promises, last week Trump was a leading (albeit clumsy and ill-informed) critic of neocon foreign policy. This week Nikki Haley is flat out saying that our Syria policy is now regime change. Nobody has slapped her down, so I guess she speaks for the Trump Administration. Again, who the Hell knows where this is going, but at the moment his foreign policy has taken a complete 180.

I can see how his base might be feeling a bit betrayed...
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

edwardmurphy wrote:
RickD wrote:1) How is Trump breaking his promise to repeal and replace Obamacare? The plan he brought forward wasn't good enough to get the votes, but that doesn't mean he has stopped having people come up with a plan to repeal and replace, does it?
He said that he was done with Obamacare and his new plan is to wait and see if it collapses. Granted, what Trump says has no bearing on reality, so it's kind of tough to call it a broken promise. I doubt even Sideshow Don knows what he'll do next on healthcare.
When Trump was voted in on repealing Obamacare, it can be understood that he may be blocked but will nonetheless do his best to push through a replacement one that fixes many issues people cry about who voted him in (as he promised). Instead, Trump let Ryan put forward his policies, and then it seems perhaps told him to try cater to both sides or Ryan did so of his own imitative. Perhaps Trump even set Ryan up for failure so he could just wash he hands of it all for now, "Folks, I tried!" So at the end, you have the failure that eventuated with no side liking it.

What he should have done, is screw the Dems, he was voted in by a large segment of people who he made certain promises to about how he would fix health care, and not simply repeal it. So then, in the spirit of his promises, "repealing" just as much entailed trying to get a policy through that he advertised would fix everything wrong with Obamacare and more. So then, "repealing" doesn't just entail getting rid of or replacing Obamacare with without this or that, but given Trump's promises trying to push through a much better policy through that minimally fixes most problems people have with Obama's.

The fact Trump even endorsed the new policy = a breaking of his promises. ALL the times he insulted Obamacare to garner support, and said how much better his own policy would be -- well, there is a reason the policy put forward was called "Obamacare Lite". It wouldn't have done much so-far-as I know to fix anything really wrong, but at least if it was passed (which it wasn't), then Trump could have superficially ticked his box of promise kept.

Here's the thing. When people vote someone in, they vote them in on their promises (as gullible as it might sound to believe a promise from anyone running for POTUS). They are voted in by one side, to push through in any manner possible that side's views (promises their campaign were run upon). If they win, then they have an obligation to serve the best interests of that side, and so keep their promises in FULL so much as it depends upon them. Trump is now trying to cater to everyone in some major policies, in both healthcare and foreign, and that will bite him hard on the butt.
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

I don't want to get too sidetracked though, be re-drawn into US politics. Such is inevitable since some other world issues that seem to grab my interest are intimately tied into US foreign policies and actions.

Here was an interesting discussion of two different sides re: Trump's Syrian strike:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1zQQzZmuZk

Yet, I think Trump is now generally convinced and has changed his mind to believe regime change in Syria is necessary. Unlike Obama, who didn't have the balls to follow through on his promises should some "red line" be crossed, Trump will quickly take action for what he sees is needed. He's willing to sacrifice Syria, in order to gain the many positives that come with the quick strike that he did. Which is why he didn't care about waiting for an international investigation. He saw a power card to be grabbed, many benefits discussed in that video above, and took it.

Trump has effectively gained a position of power now, through this one strike. Thankfully, the strike itself while very expensive, was largely ineffective in that it caused few casualties and the air base could still be used after. It remains to be seen what will transpire in the future.
DBowling
Ultimate Member

Post by DBowling »

Kurieuo wrote:Trump is now trying to cater to everyone in some major policies, in both healthcare and foreign, and that will bite him hard on the butt.
My impression is that Trump doesn't really care what anyone else thinks.

I think some of the things that he said on the campaign trail regarding foreign policy were (to put it charitably) irresponsible.
I think there are two things going on with Trump on Syria.
1. He refused to be Obama part 2 and do nothing when Syria crossed the WMD (Chemical Weapons) line.
2. I think another possibility is that when Trump become President, some of the policies that seemed like a good idea when he was back seat driving with limited information, no longer seem feasible when he has more information and is now in the driver's seat.