Chemical Attack in Syria

Discussions about politics and goings on around the world. (Please keep discussions civil!)
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Re: Chemical Attack in Syria

Post by abelcainsbrother »

DBowling wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:Trump is now trying to cater to everyone in some major policies, in both healthcare and foreign, and that will bite him hard on the butt.
My impression is that Trump doesn't really care what anyone else thinks.

I think some of the things that he said on the campaign trail regarding foreign policy were (to put it charitably) irresponsible.
I think there are two things going on with Trump on Syria.
1. He refused to be Obama part 2 and do nothing when Syria crossed the WMD (Chemical Weapons) line.
2. I think another possibility is that when Trump become President, some of the policies that seemed like a good idea when he was back seat driving with limited information, no longer seem feasible when he has more information and is now in the driver's seat.

No he has both parties ignoring the will of the people and blocking his agenda so that he is boxed in and surrounded. I actually think it is good that not much is getting done legislatively for now because they would just end up being bad bills for him to sign. I think the better strategy is to just keep doing what he can do as President as he has until these scandals break that bring both parties down and then he will be able to get his agenda passed,but he can do nothing for now.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
DBowling
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by DBowling »

abelcainsbrother wrote: No he has both parties ignoring the will of the people and blocking his agenda.
The reason that both parties are blocking parts of his agenda is because parts of his agenda do not represent the will of the people and are opposed by a majority of the American population.

But as I said, Trump doesn't really care what a majority of the American people think.
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member

DBowling wrote:
abelcainsbrother wrote: No he has both parties ignoring the will of the people and blocking his agenda.
The reason that both parties are blocking parts of his agenda is because parts of his agenda do not represent the will of the people and are opposed by a majority of the American population.

But as I said, Trump doesn't really care what a majority of the American people think.

Wrong! He beat both parties in the election while spending alot less money.We are the majority in politics and we proved it.This Trump movement is bigger than even Trump himself and both parties blocking his agenda only angers us.It won't hurt Trump politically if that is what you're thinking. All he did in this Syria attack was let the world know there is a new Shrieff in town,not a wimp like Obama and he just exposed both neo-cons and liberals who praised him for this and yet it is now starting to dawn on John McCain that we need to put troops on the ground and remove Assad which Trimp has no intention of doing.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
DBowling
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by DBowling »

abelcainsbrother wrote: We are the majority in politics and we proved it.
That is a factually untrue statement... and I'll just let it go at that.
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member

DBowling wrote:
abelcainsbrother wrote: We are the majority in politics and we proved it.
That is a factually untrue statement... and I'll just let it go at that.
How did both establishment candidates both Jeb Bush and Hillary Clinton lose then? They spent alot more money than Trump did and both had rich donors funding their campaigns and they lost.Plus the media doing everything they could to help Hillary win and yet we ignored them.And yet the Republican Party is trying to force Trump to be Jeb Bush and the Democrats want him to be Jeb Bush too.The problem is these policitians in Washington that do what they want to do ignoring the will of the people and we will not change our minds about it just because they block Trump's agenda.

edwardmurphy
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by edwardmurphy »

Kurieuo wrote:Here's the thing. When people vote someone in, they vote them in on their promises (as gullible as it might sound to believe a promise from anyone running for POTUS). They are voted in by one side, to push through in any manner possible that side's views (promises their campaign were run upon). If they win, then they have an obligation to serve the best interests of that side, and so keep their promises in FULL so much as it depends upon them.

That might be the case in Australia, where you have the luxury of constitutional methods for breaking up gridlock, but here in the States what you're describing is a recipe for decades of vicious partisan feuds. We don't have double dissolution or joint sittings of both houses or anything like that. All we have is elections, most of which have been rendered moot points by gerrymandering and/or demographics. That means that when things get gridlocked here they're likely to stay that way for a long, long time, and there's not a damned thing that anybody can do about it.

Granted, the Republicans have complete control of government at the moment, but that's not going to last forever. If the continue with their current show of incompetence and disunity they might just lose the Senate in 2018, and if Trump thinks that he'll get reelected with nothing but the 35% that thinks he walks on water he's in for a rude surprise.

And finally, if Trump wants to do things like pass a massive infrastructure bill and introduce Trumpcare (which he says will lower premiums while giving better care to more people, lol) he's going to need Democratic help to get past the Freedom Caucus.
Kurieuo wrote:Trump is now trying to cater to everyone in some major policies, in both healthcare and foreign, and that will bite him hard on the butt.
He doesn't have a choice. There are moderate Republicans out there whose people love Obamacare and hated that garbage that Ryan proposed. Trump's not going to get their support on a repeal bill unless he's willing to keep things like Medicaid expansion. Meantime, the Freedom Caucus (who have the backing of the Koch brothers, feel pretty secure in their seats, and aren't a bit scared of Sideshow Don) aren't going to accept any bill that fails to completely gut the stuff that the moderates need to hang on to.

The clear path forward on healthcare would be to cut out the Freedom Caucus and work with moderate Republicans and Democrats to shore up Obamacare. That's also the path forward on the infrastructure bill. And based on the rumblings from the far right after the Syria strike it might be his best bet there as well.

Trump's path to greatness, if there is one, is a path of compromise, bipartisanship, and cooperation.

Personally, I think he's more likely to get impeached.