From You to George Washington

Discussions about politics and goings on around the world. (Please keep discussions civil!)
edwardmurphy
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Re: From You to George Washington

Post by edwardmurphy »

abelcainsbrother wrote:The Supreme Court is suppose to enforce the laws on the books written by Congress
Nope, that's the executive branch. Read a [love] book, Abe.
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

edwardmurphy wrote:
abelcainsbrother wrote:The Supreme Court is suppose to enforce the laws on the books written by Congress
Nope, that's the executive branch. Read a [love] book, Abe.
Nope! Judges enforce laws everyday.Tell us what happens if you committ a crime and go before a judge,what does he do? Enforce the law,he puts you in jail,prison,etc based on the law. He does not make up some new law like liberal judges do.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
edwardmurphy
Ultimate Member

Post by edwardmurphy »

Still wrong.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

ACB,

You're wrong. Judges interpret laws. As far as the laws that the Supreme Court interprets, the executive branch enforces them.
Our federal government has three parts. They are the Executive, (President and about 5,000,000 workers) Legislative (Senate and House of Representatives) and Judicial (Supreme Court and lower Courts).

The President of the United States administers the Executive Branch of our government. He enforces the laws that the Legislative Branch (Congress) makes. The President is elected by United States citizens, 18 years of age and older, who vote in the presidential elections in their states. These votes are tallied by states and form the Electoral College system. States have the number of electoral votes which equal the number of senators and representatives they have. It is possible to have the most popular votes throughout the nation and NOT win the electoral vote of the Electoral College.

The Legislative part of our government is called Congress. Congress makes our laws. Congress is divided into 2 parts. One part is called the Senate. There are 100 Senators--2 from each of our states. Another part is called the House of Representatives. Representatives meet together to discuss ideas and decide if these ideas (bills) should become laws. There are 435 Representatives. The number of representatives each state gets is determined by its population. Some states have just 2 representatives. Others have as many as 40. Both senators and representatives are elected by the eligible voters in their states.

The Judicial part of our federal government includes the Supreme Court and 9 Justices. They are special judges who interpret laws according to the Constitution. These justices only hear cases that pertain to issues related to the Constitution. They are the highest court in our country. The federal judicial system also has lower courts located in each state to hear cases involving federal issues.

All three parts of our federal government have their main headquarters in the city of Washington D.C.
https://www.trumanlibrary.org/whistlest ... ches/1.htm
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member

RickD wrote:ACB,

You're wrong. Judges interpret laws. As far as the laws that the Supreme Court interprets, the executive branch enforces them.
Our federal government has three parts. They are the Executive, (President and about 5,000,000 workers) Legislative (Senate and House of Representatives) and Judicial (Supreme Court and lower Courts).

The President of the United States administers the Executive Branch of our government. He enforces the laws that the Legislative Branch (Congress) makes. The President is elected by United States citizens, 18 years of age and older, who vote in the presidential elections in their states. These votes are tallied by states and form the Electoral College system. States have the number of electoral votes which equal the number of senators and representatives they have. It is possible to have the most popular votes throughout the nation and NOT win the electoral vote of the Electoral College.

The Legislative part of our government is called Congress. Congress makes our laws. Congress is divided into 2 parts. One part is called the Senate. There are 100 Senators--2 from each of our states. Another part is called the House of Representatives. Representatives meet together to discuss ideas and decide if these ideas (bills) should become laws. There are 435 Representatives. The number of representatives each state gets is determined by its population. Some states have just 2 representatives. Others have as many as 40. Both senators and representatives are elected by the eligible voters in their states.

The Judicial part of our federal government includes the Supreme Court and 9 Justices. They are special judges who interpret laws according to the Constitution. These justices only hear cases that pertain to issues related to the Constitution. They are the highest court in our country. The federal judicial system also has lower courts located in each state to hear cases involving federal issues.

All three parts of our federal government have their main headquarters in the city of Washington D.C.

OK just change enforce to interpret and I'm right.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

abelcainsbrother wrote:
RickD wrote:ACB,

Alrighty then!
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

edwardmurphy
Ultimate Member

Post by edwardmurphy »

Except that all of your previous arguments about the actions of the SCOTUS are predicated on your erroneous beliefs about the role of the judiciary. So no, changing one word won't fix that.
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member

edwardmurphy wrote:
Except that all of your previous arguments about the actions of the SCOTUS are predicated on your erroneous beliefs about the role of the judiciary. So no, changing one word won't fix that.

Nope! Everything is the same except for changing the word enforce to interpret.

RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

ACB wrote:

Nope! Everything is the same except for changing the word enforce to interpret.
Let's see:

The Supreme Court is suppose to enforce the laws on the books written by Congress,which they did not do when it comes to abortion,same-sex marriages,etc.If you want abortion in America you have to run for office being for abortion,which no liberal did,instead they apponited judges that would just ignore the Constitution and write new law.It is not the job of the Supreme Court to write law like they did,they are not legislature's.This proves your polls are wrong and this is why no Democrat ran for abortion and then had laws passed through Congress to make it law.
Now, with enforce changes to interpret:

The Supreme Court is suppose to interpret the laws on the books written by Congress,which they did not do when it comes to abortion,same-sex marriages,etc.If you want abortion in America you have to run for office being for abortion,which no liberal did,instead they apponited judges that would just ignore the Constitution and write new law.It is not the job of the Supreme Court to write law like they did,they are not legislature's.This proves your polls are wrong and this is why no Democrat ran for abortion and then had laws passed through Congress to make it law.
IMO,

It doesn't affect the point ACB made.

-Edward R Murrow

Hortator
Advanced Senior Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Hortator »

Yeah, the exec branch can say "this X is covered under the 14th amendment" but that doesnt mean they cant be challenged on it later judicially.

But for the judicial branch, they cannot be challenged nearly as easily. If the Constitution is the law of the land, then whoever says what the Constitution says has the final word on any matter.

We are political animals by nature, according to Aristotle. Law isn't immune to politics; nothing is.
edwardmurphy
Ultimate Member

Post by edwardmurphy »

Umm...
The Supreme Court is suppose to enforce the laws on the books written by Congress,which they did not do when it comes to abortion,same-sex marriages,etc.
This one is incorrect and reveals (again) Abe's ignorance of basic civics.
The Supreme Court is suppose to interpret the laws on the books written by Congress,which they did not do when it comes to abortion,same-sex marriages,etc.
In this one the first part is factual but incomplete (and implies that Abe knows things that he does not). The second part is completely wrong and reveals Abe's ignorance of how the courts work and also of recent history.

Either quotation reveals that the guy doesn't understand the basic facts, so I guess in that respect they're the same argument.

And once we get past the first sentence it's all misunderstanding and ignorance.

Roe v Wade was a challenge to an existing anti-abortion law, so all that needed to happen for abortion to be legal was for the courts to say that the law banning it was unconstitutional. The Supreme Court interpreted the law relative to the Constitution exactly like they were supposed to, and they did not write any new legislation. The polls have been consistent for years and are not wrong, and even if they were wrong the crap that Abe is calling proof is nothing of the kind. And finally, plenty of Democrats have run as pro-choice candidates and, in any case, that doesn't matter because it doesn't take a law to give people a right, only to take one away.

Long story short, it's all complete garbage and Abe is one of the most profoundly ignorant people I've ever had the misfortune to encounter.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

edwardmurphy wrote:That's your belief. It's not the only belief.
There is such as a thing as "warranted" belief and then "mere" belief. On this issue, you have the latter and we have the former. Knowledge is quite plainly on our side here.

Just look up a biology textbook on when human life begins, any animal life. Recommend to you Googling Secular Pro-life and reading their materials, as no doubt, and I'm presuming, you've bought into thinking such a religious issue, when in fact it's biological. Objective science is on our side. Subjective opinion grasping at straws to make some "soulish" personhood distinction based upon a woman's birth canal on yours. Biology sees no difference, a human life IS a human life, and when does biology say human life begins?
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

K: Just look up a biology textbook on when human life begins, any animal life. Recommend to you Googling Secular Pro-life and reading their materials, as no doubt, and I'm presuming, you've bought into thinking such a religious issue, when in fact it's biological. Objective science is on our side. Subjective opinion grasping at straws to make some "soulish" personhood distinction based upon a woman's birth canal on yours. Biology sees no difference, a human life IS a human life, and when does biology say human life begins?
Exactly. Why can you kill a child in the womb, but once he's born and you do so, it's instantly considered murder? What has changed? It's still a human being, only at a different size/stage - just like those differing stages will continue throughout our lives, from ever-growing robustness to decline, often helplessness. The ONLY issues that should be considered: Is that a human being in the womb or not? Is it right to take a human life or not? All sorts of wordplay won't change the facts surrounding those questions. Again, if little Eddie's mom and aborted little Eddie at 2 or 3 months - she's taken the life of what? Of ED! Ed was once a developing child in his mom's womb.

If there is nothing sacred about human life - as opposed to other life - then why does society think premeditated murder a hideous thing, but that McDonald's contracts with the beef and slaughterhouse industries is just fine and dandy? Big Macs are yummy? (Ugh) Why is eating animal flesh universally enjoyed and celebrated, but cannibalism is shockingly sick?
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Guys,

Edwardmurphy is a fact driven, scientific minded person. I have confidence that he will agree with us once he has actually looked at this. We all know this isn't a religious issue, but one of science.

Give ed a chance to actually study this, and he will realize what we're saying.

-Edward R Murrow

B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

RickD wrote:Guys,

Edwardmurphy is a fact driven, scientific minded person. I have confidence that he will agree with us once he has actually looked at this. We all know this isn't a religious issue, but one of science.

Give ed a chance to actually study this, and he will realize what we're saying.
:popcornduo:
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys