Federalist: BuzzFeed wants to destroy Chip and Joanna Gaines

Discussions about politics and goings on around the world. (Please keep discussions civil!)
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Federalist: BuzzFeed wants to destroy Chip and Joanna Gaines

Post by Jac3510 »

The Federalist: BuzzFeed Wants To Destroy Chip And Joanna Gaines For Being Christian And Wildly Popular
Hans Fiene
Dec 1, 2016
  • “People who give their kids weird names are unsophisticated morons,” I thought to myself when I was 23 years old and busy substitute-teaching a class full of kids named Brysalynn and Traxton. “Clearly these parents have no regard for honorable saints and heroes from the Bible and world history, which is why their kids don’t have respectable names like Anna or William. Clearly these parents have no love for the culture of their ancestors, which is why their kids are probably named after some organic vinegar bathroom scrub their parents picked up at Whole Foods. I have absolutely nothing in common with people this vapid, so clearly I could never be friends with someone who would name a kid something dumb.”

Then, a few years later, one of my closest friends had a kid and named him something dumb. At the moment of said dumb-named kid’s entrance into this world, two options stood before me. Option A: I was wrong about baby names, and it was, in fact, possible to be an interesting, intelligent person while also being sweet on absurd baby monikers. Option B: Despite having a mountain of evidence that my friend was interesting and intelligent, this was all a ruse and he had been a moron the entire time.

After some self-reflection, I chose Option A. With regard to the Chip and Joanna Gaines, however, Kate Aurthur of BuzzFeed and Gina Mei of Cosmopolitan appear to have chosen Option B.
Read the rest of the article here. In was intrigued by the article because my wife loves the show largely because she loves Chip and Joanna. They really are a fun couple to watch. Amazing people, those two.

Anyway, I don't post it here to talk about homosexuality or even to talk about the liberal reaction to conservative Christianity. I'm more interested in the politics that produce cognitive dissonance. Scott Adams, who I've been referencing a lot, wrote a piece on it recently. I thought this--the quoted and linked article above--is an excellent illustration of the same principle.

Now, to be clear, it isn't only liberals who have major cognitive dissonance. Lots of conservatives have it too around their pet issues. In fact, it's fun to watch some Trump supporters going through it as they watch him pace and lead (or, as some might put it, flip flop, though I would contend those are very different things). Just like the reaction to discovering someone they really like a lot (the Gaines') think homosexuality is a sin creates major cognitive dissonance, just so, the actions of Trump are having (and I bet will continue to have) a similar effect.

Enjoy the show!
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.