Politics Thread

Discussions about politics and goings on around the world. (Please keep discussions civil!)
Seraph
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Politics Thread

Post by Seraph »

I'm making this as an offshoot from the political debate in the Christian Genocide thread. Discuss the political state of our nation here! Taxes or no taxes? Is the country spiraling down the drain or is it just one of many tough times? Annnnnnd go!
I am committed to belief in God, as the most morally demanding, psychologically enriching, intellectually satisfying and imaginatively fruitful hypothesis about the ultimate nature of reality known to me - Keith Ward
Murray
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Politics Thread

Post by Murray »

Thank you so much for moving this away from the Christian Genocide thread :mrgreen:

And on the topic, he wealth(2%) pay 35% of all taxes, the bottom(25%) pays under 5%. This itself should show you we are already heavily taxing the upper class, all new taxes would do to them is 1) invest less 2)donate less 3) store more money overseas.

Think about these numbers, if we had an income tax of 100% on every single american for 10 years, we would pay off our debt. Now honestly, do you think taxing the rich would bring that much money in even if none of them cheated (which half of them do). Your talking 2-3 billion tops off these new taxes which is not even a scratch off our 14 trillion dollar debt .

It's not as effective as you think and it most likely again, end up hitting the middle class when shown how un-affective they are (again refer to carter).
in nomine patri et fili spiritu sancte
SnowDrops
Established Member

Post by SnowDrops »

Murray wrote:Thank you so much for moving this away from the Christian Genocide thread :mrgreen:

And on the topic, he wealth(2%) pay 35% of all taxes, the bottom(25%) pays under 5%. This itself should show you we are already heavily taxing the upper class, all new taxes would do to them is 1) invest less 2)donate less 3) store more money overseas.

Think about these numbers, if we had an income tax of 100% on every single american for 10 years, we would pay off our debt. Now honestly, do you think taxing the rich would bring that much money in even if none of them cheated (which half of them do). Your talking 2-3 billion tops off these new taxes which is not even a scratch off our 14 trillion dollar debt .

It's not as effective as you think and it most likely again, end up hitting the middle class when shown how un-affective they are (again refer to carter).
Hi,

Here's a page I just found on Google: http://sociology.ucsc.edu/whorulesameri ... ealth.html

Now I never said "tax the rich to glory!" or something 8-}2 like that. But the top 2% have even more than 35% of wealth, so it's only fair that they pay that much. And yes, they do avoid taxes. That was part of the debate over the debt ceiling: Closing tax loopholes. Murray, you were talking about how Obama removed tax cuts for people who donated, could you elaborate on that?
Btw, isn't it funny how on the forum "Politics and World Events" we have 1 thread "politics" and all the rest "world events"?
The first step to learning is to admit that you don't know.
Murray
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Murray »

It used to be if a tax person say donated 10 million out of their 100 millino salary, the 10 million would not be taxed, or you could say they would only be taxed for 90 million.
Many rich people did this to lower their taxes
in nomine patri et fili spiritu sancte
SnowDrops
Established Member

Post by SnowDrops »

Murray wrote:It used to be if a tax person say donated 10 million out of their 100 millino salary, the 10 million would not be taxed, or you could say they would only be taxed for 90 million.
Many rich people did this to lower their taxes
My guess is someone found a way to abuse this system (like say, donating to an organization they themselves actually owned) and it got removed as a "loophole". I'll have to look into it further.
kmr
Valued Member

Post by kmr »

Well come on everybody!!! Think about it, the answer is OBVIOUS. And the US government has already started doing what needs to be done! If anyone is in severe debt from borrowing money, the clear answer is to procrastinate paying it back and, of course, borrow more money! Right? Am I right? :|
- KMR

Dominum meum amō!
SnowDrops
Established Member

Post by SnowDrops »

kmr wrote:Well come on everybody!!! Think about it, the answer is OBVIOUS. And the US government has already started doing what needs to be done! If anyone is in severe debt from borrowing money, the clear answer is to procrastinate paying it back and, of course, borrow more money! Right? Am I right? :|
Pretty much, but then the elections and bipartisan government come in... who can't seem to agree on anything. Ever see a credit card owned by multiple people?
Jonouchi Katsuya
Established Member
Sex: Female

Post by Jonouchi Katsuya »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7Xtj04QiQg
I really felt this video explained a lot to me about the debt crisis and more to the fact that it really isn't a crisis at all like it is but it isn't at the same time. Other countries still trust us. As long as other countries still trust us, we are good. As long as we keep consuming like the American consumption monsters we are, we keep the world in balance and countries will continue to trust us.

The worst thing we could do is default on our debt.

This is coming from someone by the way who has been jobless for two years and who lives with family who has money troubles. Lost a house, lost much of what I owned when I moved to a homeless shelter briefly.

Yet, I still feel fortunate and that the country is moving in the right direction overall.
Hi I am a Buddhist and I seek enlightenment. I do not know everything. I do not pretend to know everything. I desire strongly to discuss the Bible as you see it. Please correct me when I get something wrong.