Illegal Immigration

Discussions about politics and goings on around the world. (Please keep discussions civil!)
ageofknowledge
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Illegal Immigration

Post by ageofknowledge »

Rich writes:

"Immigration: Illegal immigration is a big issue for Republicans as they seek to keep Mexican nationals from crossing the border and living in the United States. Although often framed as a national security issue since September 11, 2001, the main purpose of closed borders is to keep outsiders from taking "American jobs." However, the Bible says that God's people are not to despise the aliens in their land,5 but provide food, shelter, and clothing for them.6 In addition, the Bible says that all laws are to apply to equally to natives and aliens7 and that judges are to apply those laws equally.8 God Himself warned His people not to turn aside the alien or they could be subject to judgment.9 And Republicans thought that America would only be judged for her sexual sins!"

I think Rich has missed something here. Would God have been for the Israelites allowing the Assyrians to flood into the land as illegal (or even legal) immigrants? What would God's position be when they grew strong enough to displace the now minority Jewish population and Judiasm from being the theocracy in Israel and take the land over?

This seems to make sense in the context of how aliens are treated that are allowed to travel and settle in ancient Israel but I don't see that it proves God would have been against ancient Israel managing immigration.

Rich overreaches here.
Gabrielman
Advanced Senior Member

Re: Illegal Immigration

Post by Gabrielman »

There is no problem with people coming here leagally. If they want to they are more than welcome. Further more mexicans are not the only illegal imagrants. The mexican border is used by many to cross over into america. If we just let anyone come here who wants to we could be in some big trouble. Plus those who are no legaly here won't have the same oppertuites as a legalized citezen. I do believe we need to do more to make becomeing a legal immagrant easier, but we can't just let people come in as they please unchecked. Imagine if your computer let viruses come in without even trying to stop them, not that I am trying to compare them to a virus... okay bad analogy but you get the point, right? God bless! :ebiggrin:
Once I was trapped in a perpetual night, without even a star to light the sky. Now I stand in the glory of the Son, and not even a faint shadow of darkness remains.
ageofknowledge
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by ageofknowledge »

I'm not against illegal aliens, immigrants, people of race, or any of the above. I was just disagreeing with Rich's logic. He appears to be making an argument that because God doesn't condone racism or bias against minorities that illegal immigration is perfectly fine and that all immigration laws should be annulled as governments, according to scripture, should not have existed in the first place. But it's a false premise to say that because God wanted those foreigners whom the Jews allowed among them to be treated fairly that the Jews had no right to stop foreigners from simply coming in enmasse and swamping ancient Israel. It doesn't square with the rest of scripture is all I'm saying.
Gabrielman
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Gabrielman »

Could you please send me the link so I can read it? Maybe I will understand what you are saying better. Sorry if it sounded like I was acusing you of something before, didn't mean to. Thanks and God bless! :egeek:
Once I was trapped in a perpetual night, without even a star to light the sky. Now I stand in the glory of the Son, and not even a faint shadow of darkness remains.
ageofknowledge
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by ageofknowledge »

Gabrielman wrote:Could you please send me the link so I can read it? Maybe I will understand what you are saying better. Sorry if it sounded like I was acusing you of something before, didn't mean to. Thanks and God bless! :egeek:
http://www.godandscience.org/doctrine/d ... icans.html Seventh paragraph from the top.
Gabrielman
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Gabrielman »

Okay, I get what you are saying now. Thanks for clearing that up for me. As always God bless! :D
Gabrielman
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Gabrielman »

Lol. I know this is a little late, but I was going through here looking at posts and just realized you quoted the same paragraph. Sorry for not noticeing! :doh: