eHarmony Discrimination

Discussions about politics and goings on around the world. (Please keep discussions civil!)
harth1026
Familiar Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: eHarmony Discrimination

Post by harth1026 »

Gman wrote:I did hear about this lawsuit as well... I don't think eharmony retaliated much because they didn't want to be labeled as homosexual haters.
Good point. The backlash of such a label would damage their image for much of society. Somehow our society has shifted so now if you reject sin, society will reject you.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

harth1026 wrote:
Gman wrote:I did hear about this lawsuit as well... I don't think eharmony retaliated much because they didn't want to be labeled as homosexual haters.
Good point. The backlash of such a label would damage their image for much of society. Somehow our society has shifted so now if you reject sin, society will reject you.
Reminds me of..

2 Timothy 3:1-5, "But understand this, that in the last days there will come times of difficulty. 2 For people will be lovers of self, lovers of money, proud, arrogant, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, 3 heartless, unappeasable, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not loving good,4 treacherous, reckless, swollen with conceit, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, 5 having the appearance of godliness, but denying its power. Avoid such people..." ESV

The phrase - having the appearance of godliness expresses giving legitimacy to the above mentioned behavior...
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
joecap
Newbie Member

Post by joecap »

Well, back in the old days before computers, I joined a dating service which I believe was called Great Expectations, and that seemed to work out well for me. I was approaching 30, and was not meeting anyone in any of my circles.
You get to match up with people who have your same goals (financial, religious, family, etc) so you don't waste time trying to discover all this on your own.

It is not petty to want to meet someone with your same goals, it is important.
If I were single today, I would simply not date anyone who was not a Christian, for example, no matter how much I was attracted to her...period.

Anyway, Zoe, take heart. I met my wife through this service in February 1988, we got married at the end of July, and it has been more than 20 years now!
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

joecap wrote:I was approaching 30, and was not meeting anyone in any of my circles.
My dire warnings to Zoegirl were more about older men, older than 30, and having had previous failed relationships (either as live-in boyfriend or married.) I guess I should have made that clear.
joecap wrote:If I were single today, I would simply not date anyone who was not a Christian
In the course of my job, I have met several people claiming to be Christian.* Few are. It is also in style to wear a Cross around your neck. That is usually a crock.
joecap wrote:Anyway, Zoe, take heart. I met my wife through this service in February 1988, we got married at the end of July, and it has been more than 20 years now!
This is always possible.

FL

*clients and co-workers.
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
zoegirl
Old School
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by zoegirl »

To be fair to eHarmony....they started out well.

Neil Warren's first book had some valuable advice in terms of what things to look for....

I also found some valuable advice in "He's just not that into you"....written from a secular standpoint but there are some gems in there.

YOu can specify that you only want Christians in your profile. And now you can also rate how important this is....and so they find matches that also rate religion important. MOst of the earlier days were when I found the dubious ones....

I remember fondly (not) the one guy who specified that he really preferred redheads who were brats....(lovely)

as well as the guy who specified that he could really only date women who were skinny....

I like the ones who want a woman esentially to be a mother to his kids. Just give me the brood mare, please....I don't tend to get as many as those now that I am older.

Once they started rating the importance of religion, I received more serious CHristians....they just weren't into me....Stopped paying for the service because I was wasting money....
"And we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Jesus Christ"
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

zoegirl wrote:I remember fondly (not) the one guy who specified that he really preferred redheads who were brats....(lovely)as well as the guy who specified that he could really only date women who were skinny....
So, you let these winners slip away?

FL

PS: check the obituaries.
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
zoegirl
Old School
Sex: Female

Post by zoegirl »

Checking the obits seems just a little....spooky and ooky, kinda like haunting the cemetaries for the widowers visiting the graves!!!

No....I'll just muddle along and know that when God wants me married, it will happen
"And we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Jesus Christ"
Cross.eyed
Valued Member

Post by Cross.eyed »

Do any of you remember the old sitcom Taxi? Remember Jim, the best of all the characters ( the actor's name was Christopher....something... I can't remember).
Anyway, one of the other drivers had come in and was complaining about a woman fare and how weird she was.
Jim asked if "she was really,really weird and had long frizzy blond hair, very skinny, and smoked cigarettes with a long cigarette holder." The driver answered "no Jim, why do you ask?"

Jim said "No reason,it's just that I have been looking for a woman like that all of my life."

Don't give up Zoegirl, it seems you have talking to the Jims instead of the gems but there is someone out there for you if God allows it to be so.

If you don't like this post, blame it on FL as his post reminded me of that episode.
I am the wretch the song refers to.
Harry12345
Valued Member

Post by Harry12345 »

Cross.eyed wrote:Jims instead of the gems
:D :pound:

Haha! Love it!
If you're born once, you die twice; but if you're born twice, you die once.
brandiejenn
Acquainted Member

Post by brandiejenn »

I think that the whole conversation on this matter is pointless. As a Christian I have no tolerance for gay rights. It is said thru out the Bible that this type of life style is an abomination. This is just a sign of things to come in this country and around the world. This type of news is not worth our time or effort. My brothers and sisters of Jesus Christ I think our time could be served better in other ways than this. One of the biggest problems is that such stories get so much attention.

Bill
ageofknowledge
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by ageofknowledge »

It's first and foremost a for profit commercial venture. When push came to shove the company folded their position almost without a fight and simply rolled the homosexual demographic into their portfolio and continued forward without so much as a blip. The Christian branding is retained for it's commercial value.

In my opinion, E-Harmony falls under the classification of moneychangers in the temple.