olympics in china

Discussions about politics and goings on around the world. (Please keep discussions civil!)
zoegirl
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Day-Age

olympics in china

Post by zoegirl »

thought I'd start a thread on the olympics...heard a lot about the pollution, the human rights....

Any thoughts to bounce around?

The opening ceremony was interesting, although I didn't watch all of it.
"And we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Jesus Christ"
Gman
Old School
Sex: Male

Re: olympics in china

Post by Gman »

zoegirl wrote:thought I'd start a thread on the olympics...heard a lot about the pollution, the human rights.....
There is a joke going around about China. In the U.S. we always have the opportunity to criticize and protest against our government, when some news reporters asked some Chinese workers if they could do the same, they calmly replied, "Oh yes, in China we can do the same here also. We also we have the opportunity to criticize and protest against your government.... " :roll:

I think it is nice to see what China did for the Olympics. As I'm watching it now, they really spent a lot on it. It is very elaborate... What troubles me about it however is the suppression of it's people done by a very small group of people. This type of totalitarianism governs its people at it's very core. I'm almost wondering if these breathtaking displays are only done for show, revealing some type of plastic quality but not the true spirit of their people. But then again another part of me is not surprised by this ruling body over it's people. China it seems has always been living in a totalitarian rule since it's conception from the first dynasty. It's not surprising that they would embrace a dictatorship like communism. But then again, maybe all this wealth that is being pumped into their economy will get them consider the equality and freedoms of democracy.
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
zoegirl
Old School

Post by zoegirl »

I agree, I was thinking much along the same thoughts last night. The shows was breathtaking, and the torch lighting was incredible.

It was sad to see that most of the middle eastern countries were only men, and the only women in the UNited Arab Emerits (sp) had to flee for safety

There is a 14 year old boy (Daly?) who is going to compete in the high dive !! From Great BRitain I believe.

And now to here that some Americans, along with a CHinese tour guide, were injured, one of them killed. VEry sad.

Does anybody think we should have boycotted?
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

zoegirl wrote:Does anybody think we should have boycotted?
Frankly I think they should... Why feed into this imperialistic regime? I think we should also boycott their products until they get their act together. They certainly get an "F" in human rights. The problem is their government is too scared to give up control...

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

Gman wrote:I think we should also boycott their products until they get their act together.
Yikes! Boycott their products??? Stores across the Western world will have nothing on their shelves! We´d be just like the old Soviet Union!

Are you mad, Gman?!

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
zoegirl
Old School

Post by zoegirl »

I'm honestly torn, because I kjnow boycotts speak loudly. ONl the other hand, this can be a means through which God allos the country to be exposed more to CHristianity, if for no other reason than PR.

It is sadm, though, that missionaries are still extremely cautious about bringing Bibles and cannot explicitly speak.
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

Fürstentum Liechtenstein wrote:Yikes! Boycott their products??? Stores across the Western world will have nothing on their shelves! We´d be just like the old Soviet Union!

Are you mad, Gman?!

FL
Mad? Maybe crazy... :P 8-}2 Well then perhaps we could buy more American products or get out of debt from China. Right now we are hundreds of billions of dollars in debt to them. Not too smart IMO..

Swamper
Valued Member

Post by Swamper »

I'm not watching the Olympics. I think that holding the games in such a country where human rights are so violated is a mockery.
God's in his Heaven, all's right with the world.
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

Swamper wrote:I'm not watching the Olympics. I think that holding the games in such a country where human rights are so violated is a mockery.
Yes, it's interesting that their government spent over 40 billion on the Olympics while still millions of Chinese are still living in poverty or working for less than 10 dollars a week. It's almost like they are trying to convey the message that they are strong while underneath their people are still in bondage.

Daniel
Recognized Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Daniel »

I kind of thought we should have boycotted too... what's more important, sports or human rights? This would be a strong way to make a statement.

But since we're not, I figure, might as well enjoy the games... I really enjoyed watching the cycling road race. And to think that I'm not even in enough shape to be able to bike up the big hill here in town!

One positive is that, at least temporarily, China is being less restrictive with the media, because of the immense pressure to do so.

One thing is for sure. This is like London's Great Exhibition of 1851. China is definitely here to stay as a world power in the 21st century, and this Olympics is like the country's introduction to the world. The opening ceremony was proof of that.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

Gman wrote: Well then perhaps we could buy more American products
A good idea. I favor anything made or grown in either the USA or Canada.

If you need power tools, buy from Milwaukee Power Tool. If you buy anything else, it comes from China. This is just one example.

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +