Ladies and Gentlemen, your President?

Discussions about politics and goings on around the world. (Please keep discussions civil!)
User avatar
edwardmurphy
Ultimate Member
Posts: 2302
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:45 am
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation
Has liked: 196 times
Been liked: 134 times

Re: Ladies and Gentlemen, your President?

#16

Post by edwardmurphy » Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:28 pm

Philip wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:32 pm
ALL of you guys need a hobby or something - cause the Trump / Biden debate around here has become beyond ridiculous!
I have a couple of hobbies, actually. Posting here really doesn't take that much of my time.
Philip wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:32 pm
Especially because it has largely reduced our entire political dilemma down to the impact just two highly imperfect politicians - which shows me a whole lot of emotional thinking is going on.
I think you're oversimplifying things.

The election isn't about two imperfect politicians, it's a referendum on Trumpism. Phil, you must have noticed that over the last three years things that would once have been absolutely shocking have come to be routine. Inspectors general are being fired to shut down their investigations. The constitutionally mandated Senate confirmation process is now routinely circumvented with the appointment of permanent interim officials. The Administration is encouraging mail-in ballots in some states and suing others to prevent them from being issued. The President of the United States is bragging about "acing" a test in which he was asked to identify and elephant, count backwards, and state his name, his location, and the date. This is not normal. We're not in [love] Somalia. This is the United States of America, and this is not how we do things!

At this point a vote for Biden isn't about Biden, it's about reestablishing the rule of law, orderly government, and constitutional norms. This is way bigger than two candidates. It's nothing less than a choice between a returning to democracy and continuing down the path to authoritarianism.

I'm sorry that you find it tiresome that some of us feel strongly about this matter, but I find it alarming that so many others don't.

User avatar
edwardmurphy
Ultimate Member
Posts: 2302
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:45 am
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation
Has liked: 196 times
Been liked: 134 times

Re: Ladies and Gentlemen, your President?

#17

Post by edwardmurphy » Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:41 pm

K, I'm fine with admitting that Biden sometimes says dumb stuff, although I think that it's pretty dickish for the right wing media to try to use his stutter as evidence of mental impairment. Happy?

Now watch the Axios interview, in which Trump literally defends the Russians when he's told that they've been funding and arming the Taliban so that they can kill our troops more effectively. Watch Trump try to convince Swift that it's unfair and wrong to judge our Covid response by looking at the number of deaths per capita. Listen to him obsess about how John Lewis skipped his inauguration.

The difference between my evidence and yours is that yours a few short clips strung together by a pundit and mine is 40 minutes of the President's own words, in context. I'm presenting evidence. You're spouting nonsense.

User avatar
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Posts: 10030
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:25 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist
Location: Qld, Australia
Has liked: 647 times
Been liked: 664 times

Re: Ladies and Gentlemen, your President?

#18

Post by Kurieuo » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:19 pm

Philip: ALL of you guys need a hobby or something - cause the Trump / Biden debate around here has become beyond ridiculous! Especially because it has largely reduced our entire political dilemma down to the impact just two highly imperfect politicians - which shows me a whole lot of emotional thinking is going on. Not to mention, I see people skewering one party and being almost totally silent about the sins and imperfections of their own favored party and sacred ones - which shows an inability to be impartial per the reality of things. How about saying something new, for crying out loud! I'd hate to be visiting your houses, not because of the bringing up contentious politics, but due to the same constant topic relentlessly boring everyone to death! How about bringing up some new and interesting topics that aren't the same-old, same-old???!!!


To give my own thoughts, I'm not sure what can be done about the type of posts, as it'd be great to have more theological posts and the like. Christian apologists today more utilise mediums like YouTube and the like, and that is where much of the debate happens -- between prominent youtubers and their followers. Factor in also that the attention span of people today is more that they need their information "fast food" style, and they also tend to crave things that are quite superficial in nature due I guess to what they've grown up with on social media and the like. Things today are just different.

Given this is really a political pulpit for like Ed -- he's one of the only remaining consistent posters here who can inspire a response from others because of his views which cause agitation and provokes a response (kudos to you for that Ed), and he can't be blamed if his interests are of a political nature which he's openly said is the case -- and because people have just gone elsewhere and continue to go elsewhere for their information as well as to participate in discussions.

Sometimes I feel a board like this perhaps should just be closed to preserve much of the information within -- my thoughts are still developing -- but then it would more likely just fade away rather than be preserved. I'd love to see the board come back to life. But, then I feel the reality is that boards like this (and G&S isn't alone) won't actually return to what they were unless by a miracle.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)

User avatar
edwardmurphy
Ultimate Member
Posts: 2302
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:45 am
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation
Has liked: 196 times
Been liked: 134 times

Re: Ladies and Gentlemen, your President?

#19

Post by edwardmurphy » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:48 pm

Kurieuo wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:19 pm
Given this is really a political pulpit for like Ed -- he's one of the only remaining consistent posters here who can inspire a response from others because of his views which cause aggitation and provokes a response (kudos to you for that Ed), and he can't be blamed if his interests are of a political nature which he's openly said is the case -- and because people have just gone elsewhere and continue to go elsewhere for their information as well as to participate in discussions, a board like this is really now obsolete and just not going to return to what it was.
When you say "a board like this" do you mean the politics section or the entire forum? I'm wondering because several people have insisted that I've single handedly ruined the entire thing by being outspokenly liberal, but by my count there are 22 sub forums and I only post in one of them. If the other 95.4% of the site is dead that can't possibly have anything to do with me.

User avatar
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Posts: 10030
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:25 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist
Location: Qld, Australia
Has liked: 647 times
Been liked: 664 times

Re: Ladies and Gentlemen, your President?

#20

Post by Kurieuo » Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:33 pm

edwardmurphy wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:48 pm
Kurieuo wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:19 pm
Given this is really a political pulpit for like Ed -- he's one of the only remaining consistent posters here who can inspire a response from others because of his views which cause aggitation and provokes a response (kudos to you for that Ed), and he can't be blamed if his interests are of a political nature which he's openly said is the case -- and because people have just gone elsewhere and continue to go elsewhere for their information as well as to participate in discussions, a board like this is really now obsolete and just not going to return to what it was.
When you say "a board like this" do you mean the politics section or the entire forum? I'm wondering because several people have insisted that I've single handedly ruined the entire thing by being outspokenly liberal, but by my count there are 22 sub forums and I only post in one of them. If the other 95.4% of the site is dead that can't possibly have anything to do with me.
My comments were in reference to the whole board, which is comprised of different discussion forums.

It is sad that politics has risen to the top of posts, where Christian theology and apologetics is meant to be primary here, so I definitely understand Phil's frustration and have felt it myself. It might also be easy to point the finger at you given you're active and not particularly Christian. If you weren't posting though, it wouldn't revive anything.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)

User avatar
RickD
Board Moderator
Posts: 21634
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:59 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Kitchen
Has liked: 203 times
Been liked: 1109 times

Re: Ladies and Gentlemen, your President?

#21

Post by RickD » Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:05 pm

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.c ... virus.html


"Every single American should be wearing a mask when they're outside for the next three months at a minimum," Biden said at a press appearance in Wilmington, Delaware.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

Kenny wrote:
"You don’t need faith, logic, reason, proof, or anything else to be atheist, all you need to do is reject what someone told you."



St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony

User avatar
edwardmurphy
Ultimate Member
Posts: 2302
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:45 am
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation
Has liked: 196 times
Been liked: 134 times

Re: Ladies and Gentlemen, your President?

#22

Post by edwardmurphy » Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:24 pm

Nice to see some leadership coming from the potential President. Pity the current President could never pull that off. Sad!

User avatar
edwardmurphy
Ultimate Member
Posts: 2302
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:45 am
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation
Has liked: 196 times
Been liked: 134 times

Re: Ladies and Gentlemen, your President?

#23

Post by edwardmurphy » Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:06 pm

Meantime, your President is in the process of defunding the Post Office in order to make it more difficult for people to vote against him.

User avatar
edwardmurphy
Ultimate Member
Posts: 2302
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:45 am
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation
Has liked: 196 times
Been liked: 134 times

Re: Ladies and Gentlemen, your President?

#24

Post by edwardmurphy » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:08 am

“Now they need that money in order to make the post office work so it can take all of these millions and millions of ballots... Now, if we don’t make a deal, that means they don’t get the money. That means they can’t have universal mail-in voting, they just can’t have it.”

~ Donald Trump, saying the quiet part out loud

User avatar
RickD
Board Moderator
Posts: 21634
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:59 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Kitchen
Has liked: 203 times
Been liked: 1109 times

Re: Ladies and Gentlemen, your President?

#25

Post by RickD » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:51 am

Image
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

Kenny wrote:
"You don’t need faith, logic, reason, proof, or anything else to be atheist, all you need to do is reject what someone told you."



St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony

User avatar
edwardmurphy
Ultimate Member
Posts: 2302
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:45 am
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation
Has liked: 196 times
Been liked: 134 times

Re: Ladies and Gentlemen, your President?

#26

Post by edwardmurphy » Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:07 am

I quoted Trump clearly and directly saying that he's deliberately blocking funding for the Post Office in order to make it impossible to implement universal mail-in balloting during the pandemic and that's your response. Wow. You're worse than Abe. He may be ignorant, but at least he's sincere. What's your excuse?

Image

DBowling
Prestigious Senior Member
Posts: 1642
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:23 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 181 times

Re: Ladies and Gentlemen, your President?

#27

Post by DBowling » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:50 am

RickD wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:51 am
Image
It does kinda make sense that the Trump sycophants who invented "TDS" are residents of a mental institution.
:P

User avatar
Byblos
Old School
Posts: 6028
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:21 pm
Christian: Yes
Location: NY
Has liked: 100 times
Been liked: 142 times

Re: Ladies and Gentlemen, your President?

#28

Post by Byblos » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:49 pm

edwardmurphy wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:06 pm
Meantime, your President is in the process of defunding the Post Office in order to make it more difficult for people to vote against him.
Yet another stark example how the left will twist everything to fit their leftist ideology.

To defund is to take away what they already have, you know, like your friends in NYC, Seattle, Portland, Minneapolis, and so many other leftist cities completely controlled by socialists for the last 6 decades, are doing to their police department. Never mind the almost total anarchy and the sharp rise in crime. They'll just blame it on Trump and the media is more than happy to oblige.

No, the post office wasn't being DEFUNDED. The dems claimed the post office is more than capable of handling a 100 million more pieces of mail so why do they need this EXTRA money?

And the other gem is the claim Trump is doing it to prevent people from voting. Total bold-faced lie but again, it fits the leftist narrative. The fact is there have been some serious issues with mail in voting all over. In states where the system has been in place for years like Florida, things seem to be under control and no one is objecting to it, even Trump.

But in places like Nevada where they recently decided to mail ballots to all registered voters, with no means of verification if the person moved, is dead or alive, or any possible way of verifying signatures. Are you kidding me? Did you not see what happened in NYC and how many thousands of ballots were invalidated either because they weren't properly handled by the post office (surprise surprise) or for so many other reasons? How do you even trust a system like that? Well, we all know why though, don't we.

Besides, if you're able to go to walmart or target, shop around for an hour, stand in line for another hour at the checkout line, I think you should have no issue voting in person. Those who dont want to risk it, let them apply for an abstantee ballot, which is yet again a tried and true system in place for ages and how most of our deployed military votes. People should wonder why the dems are pushing so hard for blanket mail in ballots but not for absentee ballots. Hmmm, I wonder what nugget of wisdom can explain that.

When was the last time you were at walmart Ed?
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.

User avatar
Byblos
Old School
Posts: 6028
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:21 pm
Christian: Yes
Location: NY
Has liked: 100 times
Been liked: 142 times

Re: Ladies and Gentlemen, your President?

#29

Post by Byblos » Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:08 am

An article from the Washington Post on the NYC primary mess. The WASHINGTON POST, people. One of the most liberal news outlets and critical of Trump. Let that sink in for a minute then read the link.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyl ... story.html

For more context on what to expect on a national scale, read this article from NYT where a judge has determined even disputed ballots must be counted. Let that sink in again why the dems are so desperately pushing for votes by mail and not a peep on absentee balloting.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/03/nyre ... llots.html

Talk about a conspiracy to suppress voting, fair voting that is, one eligible voter, one vote; it terrifies the left.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.

User avatar
RickD
Board Moderator
Posts: 21634
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:59 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Kitchen
Has liked: 203 times
Been liked: 1109 times

Re: Ladies and Gentlemen, your President?

#30

Post by RickD » Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:13 pm

John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

Kenny wrote:
"You don’t need faith, logic, reason, proof, or anything else to be atheist, all you need to do is reject what someone told you."



St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony

Locked