What happens if one sins and they forget to confess it to God?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

What happens if one sins and they forget to confess it to God?

Post by thatkidakayoungguy »

I'm not sure and it seems a lot ain't sure either.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: What happens if one sins and they forget to confess it to God?

Post by RickD »

Stop sinning, and you won't have to worry about forgetting to confess.

You can start with stopping curse words.

There's a special place in hell for those with Tourette's, and those who forget to confess. And also for those who change lanes without using a turn signal.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Not to mention those who use relentless sarcasm to make a point! :twisted:
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Philip wrote:Not to mention those who use relentless sarcasm to make a point! :twisted:
Ikr! The nerve of some people!
:lol:
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

thatkidakayoungguy wrote:I'm not sure and it seems a lot ain't sure either.
I assume you are talking about believers since, obviously, unbelievers don't confess anything or believe in God.

Confession is a outward proclamation of sin and has less to do with God, who KNOWS your sins already, then to do with the person making an ACT with INTENTION to change.

In short, we confess, not because God requires it so that he knows, but because it becomes an ACT on the road to redemption.
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

PaulSacramento wrote:
I assume you are talking about believers since, obviously, unbelievers don't confess anything or believe in God.

Confession is a outward proclamation of sin and has less to do with God, who KNOWS your sins already, then to do with the person making an ACT with INTENTION to change.

In short, we confess, not because God requires it so that he knows, but because it becomes an ACT on the road to redemption.
Can't one confess with their thoughts? A lot of my sins are in the mind so it would make sense to do it privately.
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

RickD wrote: And also for those who change lanes without using a turn signal.
Let me guess, you do that?
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

thatkidakayoungguy wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:

Can't one confess with their thoughts? A lot of my sins are in the mind so it would make sense to do it privately.
Confession is always between the individual and God, no one else.
Some may choose to confess to a priest, but even then the priest is a "stand in" ( one that is not needed) for God.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

PaulSacramento wrote:
thatkidakayoungguy wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:

Confession is always between the individual and God, no one else.
Some may choose to confess to a priest, but even then the priest is a "stand in" ( one that is not needed) for God.
Spoken by a true Catholic. :D

-Edward R Murrow

Mallz
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Mallz »

Then ask for the forgiveness of sins you've forgotten. I'll ask for forgiveness for the sins I didn't realize I committed and ask the Holy Spirit to reveal such things to me so I can grow in Him. God loved that Abraham would commit sacrifices to cover the sins of his children. He loves a contrite heart.

You don't need to talk to a priest or anyone when confessing you're sins to God, nor is it taught in the bible (and the voice in your head is as good as your vocal voice). What is taught is this: 1 John 1:9; and James 5:16. I'd recommend reading all of James 5 to get the context. If you want to confess your sins to someone, it's more beneficial to do it with someone who will help hold you accountable for your behavior, especially if you're not seeing personal growth in your relationship with Him. If you're talking about sins like cutting people off the road, or what Catholics would consider 'venial' sins, then I really don't see why it would need to go beyond you and YHWH.
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

Mallz wrote:
Then ask for the forgiveness of sins you've forgotten. I'll ask for forgiveness for the sins I didn't realize I committed and ask the Holy Spirit to reveal such things to me so I can grow in Him. God loved that Abraham would commit sacrifices to cover the sins of his children. He loves a contrite heart.

You don't need to talk to a priest or anyone when confessing you're sins to God, nor is it taught in the bible (and the voice in your head is as good as your vocal voice). What is taught is this: 1 John 1:9; and James 5:16. I'd recommend reading all of James 5 to get the context. If you want to confess your sins to someone, it's more beneficial to do it with someone who will help hold you accountable for your behavior, especially if you're not seeing personal growth in your relationship with Him. If you're talking about sins like cutting people off the road, or what Catholics would consider 'venial' sins, then I really don't see why it would need to go beyond you and YHWH.
Thank you Mallz. I appreciate the help.