OT Prophecies Reliability

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
wpthird
Newbie Member
Christian: Yes

OT Prophecies Reliability

Post by wpthird »

Hey There, I have been reading a lot of the prophecies in the Old Testament. One of my favorites is in Isaiah 53 where there was a beautiful prediction of the coming Messiah. One thing a debating atheist told me is that the earliest Old Testament copy we have is after Christ and that all the prophecies were put into the Old Testament later to make the Bible more believable. Is this even a plausible debate? Is it even remotely possible that all these prophecies were put into the Old Testament after the fact?
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: OT Prophecies Reliability

Post by PaulSacramento »

No, they were there BEFORE the NT was written ( we know this for a fact by the way).
They were, however, interpreted in the NT via the experience of what the apostles SAW with Christ and by how the HS opened their eyes to the OT prophecies.
We have samples of them from the Dead Sea scrolls for example, dated before the NT.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

wpthird wrote:Hey There, I have been reading a lot of the prophecies in the Old Testament. One of my favorites is in Isaiah 53 where there was a beautiful prediction of the coming Messiah. One thing a debating atheist told me is that the earliest Old Testament copy we have is after Christ and that all the prophecies were put into the Old Testament later to make the Bible more believable. Is this even a plausible debate? Is it even remotely possible that all these prophecies were put into the Old Testament after the fact?

Atheists like to explain away evidence the bible is true and depending on how far into atheism they are they have talking points they have convinced themselves refutes all of the arguments,evidence and reasons to believe in God.So that once a Christian points to some kind of evidence they have a talking point that they think refutes it that they use against it.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

abelcainsbrother wrote:
wpthird wrote:Hey There, I have been reading a lot of the prophecies in the Old Testament. One of my favorites is in Isaiah 53 where there was a beautiful prediction of the coming Messiah. One thing a debating atheist told me is that the earliest Old Testament copy we have is after Christ and that all the prophecies were put into the Old Testament later to make the Bible more believable. Is this even a plausible debate? Is it even remotely possible that all these prophecies were put into the Old Testament after the fact?

Atheists like to explain away evidence the bible is true and depending on how far into atheism they are they have talking points they have convinced themselves refutes all of the arguments,evidence and reasons to believe in God.So that once a Christian points to some kind of evidence they have a talking point that they think refutes it that they use against it.
If only people would debate atheism with Gap Theory. That would destroy atheism.
:ssorry:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Such shows me you're dealing with really a lay Atheist who really hasn't yet thought about or developed a response to Messianic prophecies. It seems like a response made off the cuff, built upon presumptions without any real knowledge. You should just tell him to do a bit more investigating into dates of books that comprise the OT. If he's not interested, then well, he's not interested. Just move on.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Philip
Site Owner
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Philip »

Unfortunately, it seems that evidences from prophecy are not spoken of much around here, not nearly as much as they should be. I don't know that much about the distant history of the site - perhaps it was discussed a lot in the past?