Were the Nephilim and the Sumerian mythical kings somehow related?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Were the Nephilim and the Sumerian mythical kings somehow related?

Post by RickD »

DBowling wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:DB,
Would you agree that BEFORE their fall, Satan and his allies were "sons of God"?
Yes... prior to the fall of Satan and his followers, I would consider them to have been "sons of God" in the Job sense... angels in service to the one true God.

Sorry... evidently no "eternal security" for angels ;)
The "eternal security" point is a great point!
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

I understand your position now, thanks.
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

My how The Kid opened up a crazy debate with such a "simple" question - with over 2,700 views and 350+ responses!
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Philip wrote:My how The Kid opened up a crazy debate with such a "simple" question - with over 2,700 views and 350+ responses!
bump
:mrgreen:
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Okay, before folks start jumping on the Job 1:8 and Job 2:1 band wagon and claim that the Hebrew word, with the definite article prefixed, ha’Satan, does not refer to the head fallen angel for whatever reasons have you considered the Hebrew plural noun rules in the sentence structure of these verses In the book of Job?

All words have several different nuances of meaning. Satan can refer to one adversary, many adversaries, or the title of the head adversary. In English, the word ‘light’ can mean brightness or something that does not weigh very much. Context and continuity define how a word is used.

When a plural noun is prefxed with the Hebrew Ha as in HaEloihim or ha’satan do folks comprehend grammar and the direct they are going

For example, K. A. Massey in his Doctoral Dissertation, “The Concord of Collective Nouns and Verbs in Biblical Hebrew: A Controlled Study,” University of Wisconsin-Madison, points out and, I paraphrase here - that the Hebrew prefix, ha, meaning, the, implies, ‘all the’, with plural nouns and plural verbs, while at the same time does not overtly denote “all the” so that one does not have to use the words “all the” with plural nouns and verbs and in case of plural nouns used with singular verbs, adjectives, adverbs one uses ‘the’ as a title or they can leave it as blank as all derived from the context.

Does anyone grasp the significance of why the singular noun YHWH is used in conjuction before the plural noun Ha’satan, and addressing in the singular? Why was not Elohim, a plural noun, used instead of YHWH before ha'satan because if that was the case then you all would have a point but then the singluar address YHWH uses might need changed as well...

Do you not know that even Ha’elohim when referring to God himself use along with singular parts of speech implies all of God’s essence, the Godhead, His title as THE God of gods’ Lord of lord’s? When it is used as haelohm along with plural parts of speech, it is translated often as: all the god’s (Exodus 18:11, Judges 10:14)

Again when used with other plural parts of speech concerning human judges he’elohim, it reads: judges or ' as all the judges" ( Ex 22:8,9…) Context is important and grammar is important and continuity in the same book is important.

In Job 1:1-8 and Job 2:1 the same applies with HaSatan because it is used as a majestic title. Like a Majestic Plural is used.

In Job 1:6,8 the Sons of God come and then YHWH (Singular Noun) then HaSatan (Plural Noun) is there as well. You again have YHWH (Singular Noun) addressing HaSatan Plural Noun in verse 8. This falls into the Plural Noun Category which denotes a majestic Head of State, The King, the head Leader of a nation.

In this case, the ‘chief of all adversaries’ and not some underling, not some other godly angel, not some human judge, but the head honcho himself as Job 41:31 eventually points in the very same book, as “the king of the son’s of pride.”

Job literary style is written in the tradition liken too a mystery novel, where the key players are all revealed later at the end of the story. That is the direct linkage in the same book, proving that the adversary in Job 2:1 is the chief of all the Fallen Angels, himself.

Next folks need to consider the following: For ha’Satan to mean someone other than the Chief of all the Fallen Angels in Job chapters one and two means that all these works are wrong and you all might as well burn all these commentaries and delete them off your bible software as they are error. Please kindly consider That is where your comments will take...
Barnes' Notes on the Bible on Job 1:6...

It is then used by way of eminence, to denote the “adversary,” and assumes the form of a proper name, and is applied to the great foe of God and man - the malignant spirit who seduces people to evil, and who accuses them before God. Thus, in Zec3:1-2, “And he showed me Joshua the priest standing before the angel of the Lord, and Satan standing at his right hand to resist him. And the Loan said unto Satan, The Lord rebuke thee, O Satan;” compare Rev12:10, “Now is come salvation - for the accuser ὁ κατηγορῶν ho katēgorōn - that is, Satan, see Rev12:9) of our brethren is cast down, which accused them before our God day and night.” - The word does not often occur in the Old Testament. It is found in the various forms of a verb and a noun in only the following places.

Jamieson-Faussett-Brown Bible Commentary Job 1:6

Job1:6-12. Satan, appearing before God, falsely accuses Job.

sons of God — angels (Job38:7; 1Ki22:19). They present themselves to render account of their “ministry” in other parts of the universe (Heb1:14).

the Lord — Hebrew, Jehovah, the self-existing God, faithful to His promises. God says (Exo6:3) that He was not known to the patriarchs by this name. But, as the name occurs previously in Gen2:7-9, etc., what must be meant is, not until the time of delivering Israel by Moses was He known peculiarly and publicly in the character which the name means; namely, “making things to be,” fulfilling the promises made to their forefathers. This name, therefore, here, is no objection against the antiquity of the Book of Job.

Satan — The tradition was widely spread that he had been the agent in Adam’s temptation. Hence his name is given without comment. The feeling with which he looks on Job is similar to that with which he looked on Adam in Paradise: emboldened by his success in the case of one not yet fallen, he is confident that the piety of Job, one of a fallen race, will not stand the test. He had fallen himself (Job4:19; Job15:15; Jud1:6). In the Book of Job, Satan is first designated by name: “Satan,” Hebrew, “one who lies in wait”; an “adversary” in a court of justice (1Ch21:1; Psa109:6; Zec3:1); “accuser” (Rev12:10). He has the law of God on his side by man’s sin, and against man. But Jesus Christ has fulfilled the law for us; justice is once more on man’s side against Satan (Isa42:21); and so Jesus Christ can plead as our Advocate against the adversary. “Devil” is the Greek name - the “slanderer,” or “accuser.” He is subject to God, who uses his ministry for chastising man. In Arabic, Satan is often applied to a serpent (Gen3:1). He is called prince of this world (Joh12:31); the god of this world (2Co4:4); prince of the power of the air (Eph2:2). God here questions him, in order to vindicate His own ways before angels.

Keil and Delitzsch Commentary on Job 1:6

Moreover, both the Old and New Testaments agree herein, that Satan is God's adversary, and consequently altogether evil, and must notwithstanding serve God, since He makes even evil minister to His purpose of salvation, and the working out of His plan in the government of the world. This is the chief thought which underlies the further progress of the scene. The earthly elements of time, space, and dialogue, belong to the poetic drapery.

Instead of עַל הִתְיצֵּב, לִפְנֵי is used elsewhere (Pro22:29): עַל is a usage of language derived from the optical illusion to the one who is in the foreground seeming to surpass the one in the background. It is an assembly day in heaven. All the spirits present themselves to render their account, and expecting to receive commands; and the following dialogue ensues between Jehovah and Satan: -

Pulpit Commentary Job 6:6-12

I. THE OCCASION OF THE CONTROVERSY. The presence of Satan among the sons of God.
1. The celestial assembly.

(1) The beings composing it. Sons of God, i.e. angels (vide Job38:7 and cf. Psa29:1), here styled "sons of Elohim," to indicate their nature, as deriving their existence from God (cf. Luk3:38); their dignity, as enjoying an exalted rank in the scale of being (cf. Dan3:25); and their office, as serving in the capacity of ministers to the Supreme (cf. Psa82:6).

The unexpected visitor.

(1) The import of his name. "Satan;’ the adversary, the calumniator, the accuser; not the evil genius of the later theology of the Jews, but the dark, sullen spirit of Divine revelation, who headed the revolt in heaven against the authority of God (Rev12:7-9), seduced our first parents into sin (Gen3:1-6; Gen2:1-25 Gen11:3), tempted Jesus Christ (Mat4:1), warred against him throughout his entire career on earth (Mat13:39; Luk10:18; Joh12:31), now ruleth in the children of disobedience (Eph2:2), and fights against the children of light (Eph6:11-16).

(2) The nature of his occupation. "Going to and fro through the earth, and walking up and down in it;" which points out his dominion—this lower world, i.e. conceived as alienated from God, and involved in moral and spiritual darkness (Eph2:2; 1Jn5:19; Rev16:10); his activity,—though at present, in some cases, reserved in chains (Jud Rom1:6), he is still permitted a large amount of liberty (1Pe5:8); his diligence,—he never intermits his business, but ever prosecutes his infernal errands, going to and fro, and walking up and down; his unrest, having, as afterwards Gain, fallen under a ban of wandering, which has doomed him to be always seeking rest, but finding none (Mat12:45), as ever since his children have been like the troubled sea which cannot rest (Isa57:20, Isa57:21).

(3) The object of his coming. If to present himself before the Lord with the other sons of God (Job2:1), i.e. to report concerning his wicked machinations, his appearance, we may rest assured, was wholly involuntary and compulsory, which may remind us that Satan, no less than other creatures, is subject to Divine authority; that Satan’s proceedings in the world are under the perpetual surveillance of the Almighty; and that Satan can neither travel further nor work longer than he receives express commission front Jehovah to do. But it is probable that the underlying motive of Satan’s intruding upon Heaven’s assembly was not to render an account of any mission with which he had been entrusted, but to prosecute his diabolic work of calumniating God’s children who were yet on earth (cf. Rev12:10; Zec3:1).

A sermon on Satan.

I. THE CHARACTER OF SATAN’S PERSON. The question implies:
1. The existence and personality of the spirit of evil.
2. His angelic nature.
3. His incessant activity.
4. His unwearied vigilance.
5. The restlessness of his wicked heart.
II. THE SPHERE OF SATAN’S ACTION.
1. Generally, the earth as opposed to heaven.
2. Particularly,
(1) the human heart;
(2) the human family;
(3) the Christian Church;
(4) the heathen world.
III. THE MODE OF SATAN’S WORKING.
1. By temptation.
2. By accusation.
Etc and etc…

Vines Expositor Dictionary of OT

In the Book of Job, the word Satan always has the definite article preceding it (Job 1:6-12; Job 2:1-7), so the term emphasizes Satan's role as "the adversary." God permitted Satan to test Job's faith, and the adversary inflicted the patriarch with many evils and sorrows. Satan was not all-powerful because he indicated that he could not get beyond God's protection of Job (Job 1:10). He penetrated the "hedge" only with God's permission and only for specific instances that would demonstrate God's righteousness. Job became the battleground between the forces of darkness and light. He learned that Satan could be defeated by making the right choices and that God can be glorified in every circumstance.

Zechariah recorded a vision of "...Joshua the high priest standing before the angel of the Lord, and Satan standing at his right hand to resist him" (literally, "be his adversary"; Zec 3:1). The Lord rebuked "the adversary" (Zec 3:2). Satan was once again in conflict with God's purposes and the angels of God, but "the adversary" was not all-powerful and was subject to rebuke by God Himself.

AMG Complete Word Study Dictionary of OT and NT Words

śāṭān: A masculine noun meaning an adversary, Satan, an accuser. This noun is used twenty-seven times. In Job it is found fourteen times meaning (the) Satan, the accuser. Satan presented himself among the sons of God and roundly accused Job of not loving or serving God with integrity (Job_1:6-7; Job_2:1-2, Job_2:4, Job_2:7); all of these uses are in the prologue of the book (Job 1-2). In Zechariah, this noun is used three times with the verb to accuse (śāṭan [H7853]). Satan stood ready to accuse the high priest Joshua (Zec_3:1-2). In 1Ch_21:1, Satan was depicted as the one who motivated David insolently to take a census of Israel's army (cf. 2Sa_24:1).

Theological Word Book of the OT

Number 2252

Satan is a Plural noun…

Throughout history mankind’s’ preeminent opponent has been Satan, that old serpent the devil Rev 12:9. He is that mighty angel (cf. hi appearance with other sons of God in Job 1:9….
…So will you burn these book and ban them from use now?

To be true to your truth claims, you must now go on a holy crusade and demand these book be removed from the market because the writers of these are now classed as heretics. How dare they say that Satan in the book of Job is classed with the sons of God. Why the nerve!

That is what I am actually-hearing folks say on this thread. Live true to your convictions. Demand these be burned based on on presumption of a strawman argument that the son’s of god are saved and since the devil, the chief fallen angel, cannot be, he cannot classed as one of the son’s of God who appears in the book of Job??

Wow…

The Plural noun with the prefix Ha attached to satan denotes the head and chief, of the fallen angels, nothing more, and nothingless... The context at the end of the book points out he is the King of the son’s of pride – period.

To say otherwise demands that all these great works of theology, and many more, must be burned and destroyed on grounds of teaching false doctrine.

Wow…

Is this really what I am hearing folks say just to win an argument that support the sethite view or the human leaders view of Gen 6:1-12?

I can only spell pride one way… Pride…

Does not go well for those that open the door to the king of the sons of pride, no matter ones righteous standing God’s sight, that is the lesson of the book of Job.

All I can ask is to actually-think what you are doing and suggesting and where it must lead too, the destruction of many works of theology that many of you use today. These must be burned eradicated… is that what folks really want?

Answer me this, why are all these works I cited are wrong?

Were the writer’s idiots?
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Next consider that the Sethite and the human leader view came as a variation of Second the Book of Adam and Eve

The Second Book of Adam and Eve
http://www.sacred-texts.com/bib/fbe/fbe104.htm

14 And the sons of Cain who wrought all this, and shone in beauty and gorgeous apparel, gathered together at the foot of the mountain in splendour, with horns and gorgeous dresses, and horse races, committing all manner of abominations.
15 Meanwhile the children of Seth, who were on the Holy Mountain, prayed and praised God, in the place of the hosts of angels who had fallen; wherefore God had called them "angels," because He rejoiced over them greatly.
16 But after this, they no longer kept His commandment, nor held by the promise He had made to their fathers; but they relaxed from their fasting and praying, and from the counsel of Jared their father. And they kept on gathering together on the top of the mountain, to look upon the children of Cain, from morning until evening, and upon what they did, upon their beautiful dresses and ornaments.
17 Then the children of Cain looked up from below, and saw the children of Seth, standing in troops on the top of the mountain; and they called to them to come down to them.
18 But the children of Seth said to them from above, "We don't know the way." Then Genun, the son of Lamech, heard them say they did not know the way, and he bethought himself how he might bring them down.
19 Then Satan appeared to him by night, saying, "There is no way for them to come down from the mountain on which they dwell; but when they come to-morrow, say to them, 'Come ye to the western side of the mountain; there you will find the way of a stream of water, that comes down to the foot of the mountain, between two hills; come down that way to us.'"
20 Then when it was day, Genun blew the horns and beat the drums below the mountain, as he was wont. The children of Seth heard it, and came as they used to do.
21 Then Genun said to them from down below, "Go to the western side of the mountain, there you will find the way to come down."
22 But when the children of Seth heard these words from him, they went back into the cave to Jared, to tell him all they had heard.
23 Then when Jared heard it, he was grieved; for he knew that they would transgress his counsel.
24 After this a hundred men of the children of Seth gathered together, and said among themselves, "Come, let us go down to the children of Cain, and see what they do, and enjoy ourselves with them."
25 But when Jared heard this of the hundred men, his very soul was moved, and his heart was grieved. He then arose with great fervour, and stood in the midst of them, and adjured them by the blood of Abel the just, "Let not one of you go down from this holy and pure mountain, in which our fathers have ordered its to dwell."
26 But when Jared saw that they did not receive his words, he said unto them, "O my good and innocent and holy children, know that when once you go down from this holy mountain, God will not allow you to return again to it."
27 He again adjured them, saying, "I adjure by the death of our father Adam, and by the blood of Abel, of Seth, of Enos, of Cainan, and of Mahalaleel, to hearken to me, and not to go down from this holy mountain; for the moment you leave it, you will be reft of life and of mercy; and you shall no longer be called 'children of God,' but 'children of the devil.'"
28 But they would not hearken to his words.
29 Enoch at that time was already grown up, and in his zeal for God, be arose and said, "Hear me, O ye sons of Seth, small and great--when ye transgress the commandment of our fathers, and go down from this holy mountain--ye shall not come up hither again for ever."
30 But they rose up against Enoch, and would not hearken to his words, but went down from the Holy Mountain.
31 And when they looked at the daughters of Cain, at their beautiful figures, and at their hands and feet dyed with colour, and tattooed in ornaments on their faces, the fire of sin was kindled in them.
32 Then Satan made them look most beautiful before the sons of Seth, as he also made the sons of Seth appear of the fairest in the eyes of the daughters of Cain, so that the daughters of Cain lusted after the sons of
p. 79
[paragraph continues]Seth like ravenous beasts, and the sons of Seth after the daughters of Cain, until they committed abomination with them.
33 But after they had thus fallen into this defilement, they returned by the way they had come, and tried to ascend the Holy Mountain. But they could not, because the stones of that holy mountain were of fire flashing before them, by reason of which they could not go up again.
So consider that this pet theory is from a source that cannot be used either as it did not come from the bible…

Play by your own rules...
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
DBowling
Ultimate Member

Post by DBowling »

B. W. wrote:

It is then used by way of eminence, to denote the “adversary,” and assumes the form of a proper name, and is applied to the great foe of God and man - the malignant spirit who seduces people to evil, and who accuses them before God. Thus, in Zec3:1-2, “And he showed me Joshua the priest standing before the angel of the Lord, and Satan standing at his right hand to resist him. And the Loan said unto Satan, The Lord rebuke thee, O Satan;” compare Rev12:10, “Now is come salvation - for the accuser ὁ κατηγορῶν ho katēgorōn - that is, Satan, see Rev12:9) of our brethren is cast down, which accused them before our God day and night.” - The word does not often occur in the Old Testament. It is found in the various forms of a verb and a noun in only the following places.

sons of God — angels (Job38:7; 1Ki22:19). They present themselves to render account of their “ministry” in other parts of the universe (Heb1:14).

the Lord — Hebrew, Jehovah, the self-existing God, faithful to His promises. God says (Exo6:3) that He was not known to the patriarchs by this name. But, as the name occurs previously in Gen2:7-9, etc., what must be meant is, not until the time of delivering Israel by Moses was He known peculiarly and publicly in the character which the name means; namely, “making things to be,” fulfilling the promises made to their forefathers. This name, therefore, here, is no objection against the antiquity of the Book of Job.

Satan — The tradition was widely spread that he had been the agent in Adam’s temptation. Hence his name is given without comment. The feeling with which he looks on Job is similar to that with which he looked on Adam in Paradise: emboldened by his success in the case of one not yet fallen, he is confident that the piety of Job, one of a fallen race, will not stand the test. He had fallen himself (Job4:19; Job15:15; Jud1:6). In the Book of Job, Satan is first designated by name: “Satan,” Hebrew, “one who lies in wait”; an “adversary” in a court of justice (1Ch21:1; Psa109:6; Zec3:1); “accuser” (Rev12:10). He has the law of God on his side by man’s sin, and against man. But Jesus Christ has fulfilled the law for us; justice is once more on man’s side against Satan (Isa42:21); and so Jesus Christ can plead as our Advocate against the adversary. “Devil” is the Greek name - the “slanderer,” or “accuser.” He is subject to God, who uses his ministry for chastising man. In Arabic, Satan is often applied to a serpent (Gen3:1). He is called prince of this world (Joh12:31); the god of this world (2Co4:4); prince of the power of the air (Eph2:2). God here questions him, in order to vindicate His own ways before angels.

Moreover, both the Old and New Testaments agree herein, that Satan is God's adversary, and consequently altogether evil, and must notwithstanding serve God, since He makes even evil minister to His purpose of salvation, and the working out of His plan in the government of the world. This is the chief thought which underlies the further progress of the scene. The earthly elements of time, space, and dialogue, belong to the poetic drapery.

Instead of עַל הִתְיצֵּב, לִפְנֵי is used elsewhere (Pro22:29): עַל is a usage of language derived from the optical illusion to the one who is in the foreground seeming to surpass the one in the background. It is an assembly day in heaven. All the spirits present themselves to render their account, and expecting to receive commands; and the following dialogue ensues between Jehovah and Satan: -

I. THE OCCASION OF THE CONTROVERSY. The presence of Satan among the sons of God.

(1) The beings composing it. Sons of God, i.e. angels (vide Job38:7 and cf. Psa29:1), here styled "sons of Elohim," to indicate their nature, as deriving their existence from God (cf. Luk3:38); their dignity, as enjoying an exalted rank in the scale of being (cf. Dan3:25); and their office, as serving in the capacity of ministers to the Supreme (cf. Psa82:6).

The unexpected visitor.

(1) The import of his name. "Satan;’ the adversary, the calumniator, the accuser; not the evil genius of the later theology of the Jews, but the dark, sullen spirit of Divine revelation, who headed the revolt in heaven against the authority of God (Rev12:7-9), seduced our first parents into sin (Gen3:1-6; Gen2:1-25 Gen11:3), tempted Jesus Christ (Mat4:1), warred against him throughout his entire career on earth (Mat13:39; Luk10:18; Joh12:31), now ruleth in the children of disobedience (Eph2:2), and fights against the children of light (Eph6:11-16).

(2) The nature of his occupation. "Going to and fro through the earth, and walking up and down in it;" which points out his dominion—this lower world, i.e. conceived as alienated from God, and involved in moral and spiritual darkness (Eph2:2; 1Jn5:19; Rev16:10); his activity,—though at present, in some cases, reserved in chains (Jud Rom1:6), he is still permitted a large amount of liberty (1Pe5:8); his diligence,—he never intermits his business, but ever prosecutes his infernal errands, going to and fro, and walking up and down; his unrest, having, as afterwards Gain, fallen under a ban of wandering, which has doomed him to be always seeking rest, but finding none (Mat12:45), as ever since his children have been like the troubled sea which cannot rest (Isa57:20, Isa57:21).

(3) The object of his coming. If to present himself before the Lord with the other sons of God (Job2:1), i.e. to report concerning his wicked machinations, his appearance, we may rest assured, was wholly involuntary and compulsory, which may remind us that Satan, no less than other creatures, is subject to Divine authority; that Satan’s proceedings in the world are under the perpetual surveillance of the Almighty; and that Satan can neither travel further nor work longer than he receives express commission front Jehovah to do. But it is probable that the underlying motive of Satan’s intruding upon Heaven’s assembly was not to render an account of any mission with which he had been entrusted, but to prosecute his diabolic work of calumniating God’s children who were yet on earth (cf. Rev12:10; Zec3:1).

A sermon on Satan.

2. His angelic nature.
2. Particularly,
(1) the human heart;
(2) the human family;
(4) the heathen world.
1. By temptation.
2. By accusation.
Etc and etc…

In the Book of Job, the word Satan always has the definite article preceding it (Job 1:6-12; Job 2:1-7), so the term emphasizes Satan's role as "the adversary." God permitted Satan to test Job's faith, and the adversary inflicted the patriarch with many evils and sorrows. Satan was not all-powerful because he indicated that he could not get beyond God's protection of Job (Job 1:10). He penetrated the "hedge" only with God's permission and only for specific instances that would demonstrate God's righteousness. Job became the battleground between the forces of darkness and light. He learned that Satan could be defeated by making the right choices and that God can be glorified in every circumstance.

Zechariah recorded a vision of "...Joshua the high priest standing before the angel of the Lord, and Satan standing at his right hand to resist him" (literally, "be his adversary"; Zec 3:1). The Lord rebuked "the adversary" (Zec 3:2). Satan was once again in conflict with God's purposes and the angels of God, but "the adversary" was not all-powerful and was subject to rebuke by God Himself.

śāṭān: A masculine noun meaning an adversary, Satan, an accuser. This noun is used twenty-seven times. In Job it is found fourteen times meaning (the) Satan, the accuser. Satan presented himself among the sons of God and roundly accused Job of not loving or serving God with integrity (Job_1:6-7; Job_2:1-2, Job_2:4, Job_2:7); all of these uses are in the prologue of the book (Job 1-2). In Zechariah, this noun is used three times with the verb to accuse (śāṭan [H7853]). Satan stood ready to accuse the high priest Joshua (Zec_3:1-2). In 1Ch_21:1, Satan was depicted as the one who motivated David insolently to take a census of Israel's army (cf. 2Sa_24:1).

Number 2252

Satan is a Plural noun…

Throughout history mankind’s’ preeminent opponent has been Satan, that old serpent the devil Rev 12:9. He is that mighty angel (cf. hi appearance with other sons of God in Job 1:9….
I happen to agree with pretty much everything you quoted above, so I see no reason to burn or ban anything based on those quotes

Perhaps you would like to hilight the portion of the quotes above that you think I disagree with.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

DBowling wrote:
B. W. wrote:

The unexpected visitor.

A sermon on Satan.

2. His angelic nature.
2. Particularly,
(1) the human heart;
(2) the human family;
(4) the heathen world.
1. By temptation.
2. By accusation.
Etc and etc…

Number 2252

Satan is a Plural noun…

I happen to agree with pretty much everything you quoted above, so I see no reason to burn or ban anything based on those quotes

Perhaps you would like to hilight the portion of the quotes above that you think I disagree with.
I changed one part to blue that I think you disagree with. But other than that, unless I missed something, I don't see any real issues with it either.

-Edward R Murrow

DBowling
Ultimate Member

Post by DBowling »

RickD wrote:
DBowling wrote:
B. W. wrote:

I changed one part to blue that I think you disagree with. But other than that, unless I missed something, I don't see any real issues with it either.
You are correct Rick.

You have pointed out the one word "other" that I disagree with.

I think I am in agreement with everything else in the Commentary quotes that BW listed with the exception of one word "other" which isn't even in the Biblical text.

I'm really confused about who BW is supposed to be attacking here.
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

DB:
I'm really confused about who BW is supposed to be attacking here.
With the level of effort to proof text, I'm simply confused as to his point, and why he thinks having the correct take on this changes anything for us today!
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

BW,
I think that it is important to distinguish the Ha Satan of Job as the original writers and audience knew him to be to what later people knew him to be.

The title Ha Satan can be used of anyone in an adversarial role and the OT shows us this ( see my post of when it was used of others, including David). Yes, WE know that this particular adversary was Lucifer, but did the people to which Job was directed to?
Perhaps ( I think so), BUT it doesn't change that Ha Satan CAN and IS used of others as well.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Does anyone care to address why the leader of the fallen angels, one banned from the Garden of Eden and cursed, would be allowed to be among the Sons of God in YHWH's heavenly assembly?
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

PaulSacramento wrote:Does anyone care to address why the leader of the fallen angels, one banned from the Garden of Eden and cursed, would be allowed to be among the Sons of God in YHWH's heavenly assembly?
If you're talking about him in Job, the context shows why he was there. It's a story about Job. Satan was allowed access to Job, in order to show job's faithfulness.

-Edward R Murrow

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

RickD wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:Does anyone care to address why the leader of the fallen angels, one banned from the Garden of Eden and cursed, would be allowed to be among the Sons of God in YHWH's heavenly assembly?
If you're talking about him in Job, the context shows why he was there. It's a story about Job. Satan was allowed access to Job, in order to show job's faithfulness.

Not that Satan was allowed access to Job, its that a fallen and cursed angel seems to be just waltzing in to God's assembly with God's Sons.
Stu
Esteemed Senior Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Stu »

PaulSacramento wrote:
RickD wrote:

Not that Satan was allowed access to Job, its that a fallen and cursed angel seems to be just waltzing in to God's assembly with God's Sons.
Yeah I also found that a bit odd.
Only when the blood runs and the shackles restrain, will the sheep then awake. When all is lost.