Sacrament of Penance

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
IceMobster
Christian: No
Sex: Male

Sacrament of Penance

Post by IceMobster »

I realize most of you here (at least the most active ones I've seen) are not Catholics (except byblos and paul and perhaps a few others I forgot) and therefore I am eager to know how and why do you not follow "the Sacrament that was established by Christ Himself as can be seen in the Scripture"?:
John 20:23

Jesus Appears to His Disciples

19 On the evening of that first day of the week, when the disciples were together, with the doors locked for fear of the Jewish leaders, Jesus came and stood among them and said, “Peace be with you!” 20 After he said this, he showed them his hands and side. The disciples were overjoyed when they saw the Lord.

21 Again Jesus said, “Peace be with you! As the Father has sent me, I am sending you.” 22 And with that he breathed on them and said, “Receive the Holy Spirit. 23 If you forgive anyone’s sins, their sins are forgiven; if you do not forgive them, they are not forgiven.”

James 5:16

"Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective."

Cathecism of the Catholic Church's explanation of the sacrament (http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/a ... s2c2a4.htm)

Not only that, but the Early Church had those as well (firstly, publicly and later on it got adjusted...). Plus, both Eastern and Oriental Orthodoxy confirm such a Sacrament.

I know, I know, as Plato said, just because majority says something is true, doesn't make it true, but still...
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGOXMf6yDCU

Fecisti nos ad te, Domine, et inquietum est cor nostrum donec requiescat in te!
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Sacrament of Penance

Post by RickD »

IceMobster wrote:
I realize most of you here (at least the most active ones I've seen) are not Catholics (except byblos and paul...
:pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
IceMobster

Post by IceMobster »

RickD wrote:
IceMobster wrote:
I realize most of you here (at least the most active ones I've seen) are not Catholics (except byblos and paul...
What's so funny? :mrgreen:
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me.

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

While I agree with confessing our sins to God and to one another ( this is good for not only reconciling with God but with our fellow people), I do NOT agree that it can only be done to priests or is only valid with priests.
We confess to God for forgiveness ( only HE can forgive) and we confess to others to lighten our burden and guilt and to ask for support and solace.
I do NOT think that saying the Our Father or Hail Mary is a penance or SHOULD be viewed as one.
I never understood how, after confession with a priest, my "penance" was to say a prayer multiple times.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

IceMobster wrote:
RickD wrote:
IceMobster wrote:
Paul is a Catholic wannabe. He's not welcome on that side of the Tiber.
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

RickD wrote:
IceMobster wrote:
RickD wrote:
IceMobster wrote:
Paul is a Catholic wannabe. He's not welcome on that side of the Tiber.
That explains why I never got my secret decoder ring and Papal headgear !
IceMobster

Post by IceMobster »

PaulSacramento wrote:While I agree with confessing our sins to God and to one another ( this is good for not only reconciling with God but with our fellow people), I do NOT agree that it can only be done to priests or is only valid with priests.
We confess to God for forgiveness ( only HE can forgive) and we confess to others to lighten our burden and guilt and to ask for support and solace.
I do NOT think that saying the Our Father or Hail Mary is a penance or SHOULD be viewed as one.
I never understood how, after confession with a priest, my "penance" was to say a prayer multiple times.
Ayyyyyy.... I got the wrong impression of you being a Catholic, then. Sorry. :mrgreen:

So, who except byblos is a Catholic, you filthy heretics?!

RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

IceMobster wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:While I agree with confessing our sins to God and to one another ( this is good for not only reconciling with God but with our fellow people), I do NOT agree that it can only be done to priests or is only valid with priests.
Ayyyyyy.... I got the wrong impression of you being a Catholic, then. Sorry. :mrgreen:

hughfarey, bippy123, and Storyteller is trying to convince herself that it's ok to be Catholic.

Maybe a few more that don't really post anymore. If I missed anyone, please forgive me, and I'll say 10 Hail Marys.

-Edward R Murrow

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

IceMobster wrote:

I am Catholic via Baptism and Confirmation.
I am a catholic in the truest sense of the term, I believe in a catholic (universal) church and that ALL believers are the church and the body of Christ.
I do NOT agree with ALL Roman Catholic doctrines though.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

PaulSacramento wrote:
IceMobster wrote:

I am a catholic in the truest sense of the term, I believe in a catholic (universal) church and that ALL believers are the church and the body of Christ.
Like I said, Catholic wannabe.

-Edward R Murrow

IceMobster

Post by IceMobster »

PaulSacramento wrote:
IceMobster wrote:

So, how do you explain the 2 verses I pointed out in the OP?
Is the Scripture not clear there, where Jesus gave apostles and priests the possibility to be intercessors between God and man during Penance?

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

What does Paul say in 1Timothy 2:5 ?
So how do we reconcile this with what John wrote?

There are a couple of ways but first:
1) What do you think that John meant? Were only the direct apostles given such authority or anyone that has the HS ( in short all believers since all believers have the HS).
bbyrd009
BANNED
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by bbyrd009 »

PaulSacramento wrote:...all believers have the HS.
hmm. don't think so, sorry Paul. "Many will cry 'LordLord.'" these are "believers," aren't they? Guess it depends on your definitions there, maybe.
"Creation is continuous, and never stops."
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

bbyrd009 wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:...all believers have the HS.
hmm. don't think so, sorry Paul. "Many will cry 'LordLord.'" these are "believers," aren't they? Guess it depends on your definitions there, maybe.
I don't know if they are believers, that is for GOD and ONLY God to judge.
I don't like using the term "true believer" but we do know that not ALL believe what is right or in the right way.
I don't think that anyone that follows the HS will be judged BUT I also know that not all follow the HS, even those that may have it.
Free will and such.
bbyrd009
BANNED
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by bbyrd009 »

the point may be that they sure seemed confident that they were considered believers, and accepted by God.

there can be no such thing as "believing the right way" if "Love believes all things," or at least so it seems to me.

at to the Spirit, it seems that many who do not "have It" are nonetheless credited with following It; in more than one Passage.

i guess this won't be received too well, and i'm tryna think of a kinder way to say it...but those i consider the most "lost" these days are those confidently assuring me that they or someone they might be busy commending are saved, and going somewhere to be with Jesus at some future date, after their much sought after physical death, imagining that their real life is somehow going to start then. This is the description of "satanic death cult," and "blind leading the blind" imo.
"Throughout Christian history the conviction that man's birthright is sin has encouraged an unrealistic acceptance of remediable social evils, or even a callousness about human suffering. It helps to explain the easy acceptance of slavery and serfdom, and a record of religious atrocity unmatched by any other religion."
Professor Herbert J. Muller

"A spirituality that preaches resignation under official brutalities, servile acquiescence in frustration and sterility, and total submission to organized injustice is one which has lost interest in holiness and remains concerned only with a spurious notion of 'order.'"
Thomas Merton Bystander
https://www.wikihow.com/Recognize-the-F ... ian-Models
"Creation is continuous, and never stops."