Women as priests?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.

Should women be allowed the sacrament of the Holy Orders / to become priests?

Yes
55%
No
45%

Total votes: 11

crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: Women as priests?

Post by crochet1949 »

Philip wrote:
CC writes in the document of the Second Vatican council (I am too lazy to find which one, but I have read most parts and I am absolutely certain) that different people (including different sexes) have different role to play in the Church
Of course, in the first place, it matters not what the CC or any other church asserts is the truth of such a matter. The ONLY relevant arguments, pro or con, should be found and rooted in Scripture.

And Scripture / God's Word gives the qualifications for elders/ bishops = the head of the body of believers --the local church. Titus 1:6 "An elder must be blameless, the husband of but one wife, a man whose children believe and are not open to the charge of being wild and disobedient, etc, etc.
That passage 'the husband of but one wife' rules out women because women can't be husbands.
Another passage would be 1 Timothy 3:1 - 3 "Here is a trustworthy saying: If anyone sets his heart on being an overseer, he desires a noble task. Now the overseer must be above reproach, the husband of but one wife, temperate, self-controlled, respectable, etc, etc.
Again --'the husband of but one wife' -- again a woman cannot be the husband of but one wife --- a husband is a man.
theophilus
Valued Member
Sex: Male

Post by theophilus »

Here is what the Bible says about priesthood.
But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for his own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light.
(1 Peter 2:9 ESV)
According to this all believers, men and women alike, are priests. There is no Biblical authority for the kind of priests the Catholic church has, a group of men who have special powers and authority that set them apart from the rest of the church. This means that biblically neither men nor women should be priests. If they reject the Bible and continue to support this unbiblical priesthood there is no reason they shouldn't choose women as well as men as priests.
God wants full custody of his children, not just visits on Sunday.
crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by crochet1949 »

"Women as priests" -- isn't that referring to women serving in a leadership position in a church.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

First we let women out of the kitchen.

Then we let them work outside the home.

Then we let them vote.

Now they wanna be priests?

What is this world coming to?

:flush:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by crochet1949 »

RickD wrote:First we let women out of the kitchen.

Then we let them vote.

What is this world coming to? It's less and less in God's Word -- various groups decide to operate 'on their own' / making their own rules / adjusting God's guidelines to suit the trends of Society.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

crochet1949 wrote:

Then we let them vote.

What is this world coming to? It's less and less in God's Word -- various groups decide to operate 'on their own' / making their own rules / adjusting God's guidelines to suit the trends of Society.
You're correct. That darn women's liberation movement is a perfect example!

Make me a sammich!
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by crochet1949 »

RickD wrote:
crochet1949 wrote:

Then we let them vote.

You're correct. That darn women's liberation movement is a perfect example!

Make me a sammich!

I'm not your wife -- get your Own 'sammich'. :ebiggrin: :lol:
bbyrd009
BANNED
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by bbyrd009 »

i have no desire to address the role of women as one's "Priest" wadr--since that is not even Scripturally possible--but it is interesting the diff ways that Paul's relevant passage, @ "women chattering in church" can be interpreted, especially in light of "there are no male and female in the Kingdom." The prevailing interpretation aside, it can be noted in several places in Scripture that "women" seem to be denigrated, while "men" are elevated, and a more holistic view might recognize that a (physical) woman can be coming from her "man," and of course vice-versa, a (physical) man could be characterized as coming from his "woman," if the evidence warrants, or the shoe fits. Of course these are meant for personal reflection.
"Creation is continuous, and never stops."
crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by crochet1949 »

bbyrd009 wrote:i have no desire to address the role of women as one's "Priest" wadr--since that is not even Scripturally possible--but it is interesting the diff ways that Paul's relevant passage, @ "women chattering in church" can be interpreted, especially in light of "there are no male and female in the Kingdom." The prevailing interpretation aside, it can be noted in several places in Scripture that "women" seem to be denigrated, while "men" are elevated, and a more holistic view might recognize that a (physical) woman can be coming from her "man," and of course vice-versa, a (physical) man could be characterized as coming from his "woman," if the evidence warrants, or the shoe fits. Of course these are meant for personal reflection.

First -- what does 'wadr' refer to?

Second -- 'there are no male or female in the Kingdom' isn't that referring to the fact that all are sinners. That salvation is meant for All.

Third -- Adam was created first and woman came From man. And Eve was first deceived by the serpant in eating the fruit in the garden and then gave it to Adam. And in the Christian home at least -- the man is to be the spiritual leader of the home - the major decision maker - the wife meant to follow the leading of her husband as long as it's not something against the law. Not that That is especially followed these days. But 'it' Does work smoother that way.
bbyrd009
BANNED

Post by bbyrd009 »

crochet1949 wrote:
bbyrd009 wrote:i have no desire to address the role of women as one's "Priest" wadr--since that is not even Scripturally possible--but it is interesting the diff ways that Paul's relevant passage, @ "women chattering in church" can be interpreted, especially in light of "there are no male and female in the Kingdom." The prevailing interpretation aside, it can be noted in several places in Scripture that "women" seem to be denigrated, while "men" are elevated, and a more holistic view might recognize that a (physical) woman can be coming from her "man," and of course vice-versa, a (physical) man could be characterized as coming from his "woman," if the evidence warrants, or the shoe fits. Of course these are meant for personal reflection.

First -- what does 'wadr' refer to?
sorry, "With All Due Respect."
crochet1949 wrote: Second -- 'there are no male or female in the Kingdom' isn't that referring to the fact that all are sinners. That salvation is meant for All.
ok, nothing wrong with that, as far as it goes, but i suggest that when one grasps the divided nature of themselves, a "male/female" paradigm is presented in Scripture, wherein the "female" is the "unspiritual" or "undisciplined," and the "male" is the opposite.

And your desire will be for your husband
crochet1949 wrote: Third -- Adam was created first and woman came From man. And Eve was first deceived by the serpant in eating the fruit in the garden and then gave it to Adam. And in the Christian home at least -- the man is to be the spiritual leader of the home - the major decision maker - the wife meant to follow the leading of her husband as long as it's not something against the law. Not that That is especially followed these days. But 'it' Does work smoother that way.
i don't disagree with any of that, amen. interesting to note, however, as i run out the door here, for now, that the lesson of A&E also tells us that the woman is brought to the man, yet this seems to be lost on most Christians, who counsel their sons to be the aggressor, and their daughters to be chosen by their sons. Hmm. Have a good day!
melanie
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by melanie »

When you break down the modern day hierarchy of church and bring it back to believers congregating as brothers and sisters, sharing the 'Good News' I don't think God is sitting on His Throne thinking ' ahh em... I don't think so. Bob, Joe and Betty were saved into my Family by a female. Tut tut. That's a man's job.
For goodness sake, when every Angel in heaven rejoices at every saved soul I would think the gender of the individual that brought that person home is irrelevant. To me that's just common sense.
We get so caught up in the law that true spirituality is left behind. Our Father wants every single one of His children Home with Him, that is why we were created. Why we were born. To find our way back home. To a God that loves us in a way that is unfathomable.
Any of his faithful that are so blessed to be able to speak to others in a way that turns them towards the truth, that saves and brings them home is a win. A win for God.
He didn't create us to send us to Hell as many unbelievers think. He created us in His image because we are loved.
Equally.
Without favour.
By very way of our existence.
It is a human condition to place hierarchy, importance and superiority on spirituality. But the Spirit is without such conditions.
We are all equal in the eyes of God.
If a woman cannot be a priest under the guidelines of religion then be a warrior under the guidelines of Christ.
For God would never begrudge His own for bringing more of His flock home.
bbyrd009
BANNED

Post by bbyrd009 »

melanie wrote:When you break down the modern day hierarchy of church and bring it back to believers congregating as brothers and sisters, sharing the 'Good News' I don't think God is sitting on His Throne thinking ' ahh em... I don't think so. Bob, Joe and Betty were saved into my Family by a female. Tut tut. That's a man's job.
For goodness sake, when every Angel in heaven rejoices at every saved soul I would think the gender of the individual that brought that person home is irrelevant. To me that's just common sense.
"There are no male and female in the kingdom," amen.
melanie wrote: We get so caught up in the law that true spirituality is left behind. Our Father wants every single one of His children Home with Him, that is why we were created. Why we were born. To find our way back home. To a God that loves us in a way that is unfathomable.
Any of his faithful that are so blessed to be able to speak to others in a way that turns them towards the truth, that saves and brings them home is a win. A win for God.
He didn't create us to send us to Hell as many unbelievers think. He created us in His image because we are loved.
Equally.
Without favour.
It is a human condition to place hierarchy, importance and superiority on spirituality. But the Spirit is without such conditions.
If a woman cannot be a priest under the guidelines of religion then be a warrior under the guidelines of Christ.
amen. of course, no one on earth can be a Priest for anyone else, that is straight deception, not even trying to follow Scripture. It has no basis. None. We are all Priests.
crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by crochet1949 »

bbyrd009 wrote:
melanie wrote:When you break down the modern day hierarchy of church and bring it back to believers congregating as brothers and sisters, sharing the 'Good News' I don't think God is sitting on His Throne thinking ' ahh em... I don't think so. Bob, Joe and Betty were saved into my Family by a female. Tut tut. That's a man's job.
melanie wrote: We get so caught up in the law that true spirituality is left behind. Our Father wants every single one of His children Home with Him, that is why we were created. Why we were born. To find our way back home. To a God that loves us in a way that is unfathomable.
Equally.
Without favour.
amen. of course, no one on earth can be a Priest for anyone else, that is straight deception, not even trying to follow Scripture. It has no basis. None. We are all Priests.

God HAS provided a way back to fellowship with Him as it was in the Garden of Eden. It's through the cross. ALSO -- there are qualifications for elders, deacons -- those who are in the special place of sharing Gospel behind a church's pulpit. Titus 1: 6 - 9 "The reason I left you in Crete was that you might straighten out what was left unfinished and appoint elders in every town, as I directed you. An elder must be blameless, the husband of but one wife, a man whose children believe and are not open to the charge of being wild and disobedient. Since an overseer is entrusted with God's work, he must be blameless......"

And I agree -- All of us Should be able to lead a person to salvation. The Holy Spirit is the One who actually does the 'saving'.

And there Are women who are Good at leading -- but it Should be with groups of women -- Not a mixed group in a church service. Women teaching other women and young ladies.
bbyrd009
BANNED

Post by bbyrd009 »

crochet1949 wrote:
bbyrd009 wrote:
Equally.
Without favour.

God HAS provided a way back to fellowship with Him as it was in the Garden of Eden. It's through the cross. ALSO -- there are qualifications for elders, deacons -- those who are in the special place of sharing Gospel behind a church's pulpit. Titus 1: 6 - 9 "The reason I left you in Crete was that you might straighten out what was left unfinished and appoint elders in every town, as I directed you. An elder must be blameless, the husband of but one wife, a man whose children believe and are not open to the charge of being wild and disobedient. Since an overseer is entrusted with God's work, he must be blameless......"

And I agree -- All of us Should be able to lead a person to salvation. The Holy Spirit is the One who actually does the 'saving'.

And there Are women who are Good at leading -- but it Should be with groups of women -- Not a mixed group in a church service. Women teaching other women and young ladies.
well, that is your opinion, and there is not a thing wrong with it, in my opinion. If that serves you, then who am i (although i would ask you to reflect upon the reputation commonly held of "pastor's daughters" in that context of all that Uplifting Holiness that you are quoting up there; and the evidence, the fruit, as witnessed by your sect's divorce rate).

Personally, i hold to "no male and female in the kingdom," and accept that a valid reflection may be made of me myself, and only me, in Scripture, using the analogy of male/female, in the context of "no male or female in the kingdom."

i might ask how you resolve this dilemma?
(purely as a rhetorical Q, if you like)
melanie
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by melanie »

Yea, that kind of thinking is just foreign to the way I'm wired.
Sure ladies have your say, but do it over there with the other women. I don't think it's wise to use scripture written in a time that reflected the culture in a way today that excuses outdated, Misogynist ideals.
I know it's not intentional and it's hard to re learn what has been taught since childhood but with much love.... Get with the program crochet y[-X :-D y)>-