Ignorance of Christianity

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: Ignorance of Christianity

Post by crochet1949 »

Kenny wrote:
Philip wrote:
If you look at the stats, the Book of Mormon is the one to follow.
WHAT stats? Besides that, I'm impressed with a book that some guy goes off in a corner, translates some supposed mysterious writings, in which not ONE place referenced in it can be identified or has been found, in which God used to be a man on another planet - and somehow attained Godhood (wow!), and his children were Jesus and Satan. And that's just for starters!
All theistic beliefs sound crazy in the eyes of the unbeliever; even yours.

Ken

Heaven and hell may sound crazy -- but they will be a reality for some people.
Audie
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Audie »

Philip wrote:
Audie: You apparently are ok with making up something for me to think and stating various other facts not in evidence.
So you believe there is at least a chance that there is a God, that He is the God of the Bible? You believe there is at least a chance that you are currently in danger of Hell?

Because you have prolifically said you think no God is necessary for what exists. So, given the extraordinary improbabilities, statistically, of so many things and necessary conditions needed for life to be sustained, coming into existence uncaused and without intelligence - well, you clearly believe that not only are such extreme odds are possible, but that they occurred and without an eternal and all powerful intelligence behind them. Because that much you've prolifically asserted. So, seeing you as not being suicidal, I am speculating that you see NO chance of your being wrong about God and hell. Or am I wrong about that - that you at least see some probability of it?

Which part do I have wrong, or have speculated incorrectly?

Larer, when I am not using tiny handheld.
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

Kurieuo wrote:
Their believers all think they have the right one.
What do you mean by "right one"?

Take that Muhammad says, according to the Quran, that he doesn't even know how God will judge him. The most assurance you have is a God is gracious offer. So then, if you mean the right way to get to heaven, Islam doesn't necessarily provide a set formula, though many believe dying in Jihad will get you a pass into paradise.

Of course, if you mean have the right one as in "truth", well then whatever one believe is no exception. Just because you might be irreligious and not take a position on God, you could nonetheless be wrong in your disbelief.

Truth kind of works that way, many will always be wrong, but such doesn't mean one isn't right. It's really a non-argument, just because many differences of opinion exist doesn't mean none are right or each are equal.

Interesting that Christ claimed to be the Truth and many believed him, including the Apostles who died for and in their belief. Either he was a whacked out, high at the time on something, or telling a seemingly foolish truth.

Really, only those 3 possibilities?
Try something simple.
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

Philip wrote:
WHAT stats? Besides that, I'm impressed with a book that some guy goes off in a corner, translates some supposed mysterious writings, in which not ONE place referenced in it can be identified or has been found, in which God used to be a man on another planet - and somehow attained Godhood (wow!), and his children were Jesus and Satan. And that's just for starters!
Its ok, I am not impressed with a story of a talking snake. donkey or bush; nor yet-

But never mind, it was the ( presumably positive) difference in people's lives that C
suggested as a key to the validity of book / religion. Now, I see the BOM as the most ridiculous fraud, BUT: Mormons are a clean living bunch, are they not? Good citizens.

Stats..easily found, show what religious groups are noted for what.
Which are the realm of the low education / low income, etc; look, dont ask me.
You will notice that Hindus and Jews consistently outperform Christians.

Tough to find any mad bombers, mafiosi, etc among them. Or among Mormons.

That was my counterpoint to thd idea of such blessings for bible readers.
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

Xx
crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by crochet1949 »

Audie wrote:
Philip wrote:
Its ok, I am not impressed with a story of a talking snake. donkey or bush; nor yet-

But never mind, it was the ( presumably positive) difference in people's lives that C
suggested as a key to the validity of book / religion. Now, I see the BOM as the most ridiculous fraud, BUT: Mormons are a clean living bunch, are they not? Good citizens.

To Me, at least , you are showing your ignorance of real Christianity. Will leave it at that.
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

crochet1949 wrote:
Audie wrote:
Philip wrote:

To Me, at least , you are showing your ignorance of real Christianity. Will leave it at that.
I dont think you processed a word I said.
crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by crochet1949 »

And I don't think You processed a word that I said.

True Christianity is based on what Jesus Christ did on the cross for Everyone -- His miraculous birth, His life -- His going to the cross With our sins --without deserving to die Himself -- He'd never sinned -- He had no reason To die -- but He DID -- He willingly died With our sins and then went to hell -- in our place and rose up From there -- Alive -- He did THAT so that we could - once again - have inner peace with God AND eternal life in His presence --- heaven on earth.

And Because we Love Him -- we Want to do what pleases Him. And we love Him because He loved us First.

The problem with a lot of belief systems is that all the good things they Do -- are done because they are trying to Earn their way to peace with God. A lot of belief systems take Parts of God's Word and a man or woman adds his/her thoughts and interpretations and the result is Confusion. And -- these men / women Claim to have had extra-knowledge given to them Besides what God has Already given to us. Which means they are putting Themselves on equal standing With God.
The extra-knowledge received does Not agree with God's Word. It's supposedly new and improved.

And Christianity involves living a life that is pleasing to God. 'What would Jesus do' in a given situation. So -- a person who does Not believe Scripture -- sees no value in 'the burning bush' or the talking donkey or whatever means God is using to get our attention -- does not appear to care what God's Word says -- would be showing a non-understanding of real Christianity.

There are Lots of people who have read God's Word -- at least once -- But -- for whatever reason -- it does not 'click' with them. They will acknowledge the Bible as literature that Does exist -- but beyond That -- -- well ----- toss it out the window.
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

crochet1949 wrote:And I don't think You processed a word that I said.

True Christianity is based on what Jesus Christ did on the cross for Everyone -- His miraculous birth, His life -- His going to the cross With our sins --without deserving to die Himself -- He'd never sinned -- He had no reason To die -- but He DID -- He willingly died With our sins and then went to hell -- in our place and rose up From there -- Alive -- He did THAT so that we could - once again - have inner peace with God AND eternal life in His presence --- heaven on earth.

And Because we Love Him -- we Want to do what pleases Him. And we love Him because He loved us First.

The problem with a lot of belief systems is that all the good things they Do -- are done because they are trying to Earn their way to peace with God. A lot of belief systems take Parts of God's Word and a man or woman adds his/her thoughts and interpretations and the result is Confusion. And -- these men / women Claim to have had extra-knowledge given to them Besides what God has Already given to us. Which means they are putting Themselves on equal standing With God.
The extra-knowledge received does Not agree with God's Word. It's supposedly new and improved.

And Christianity involves living a life that is pleasing to God. 'What would Jesus do' in a given situation. So -- a person who does Not believe Scripture -- sees no value in 'the burning bush' or the talking donkey or whatever means God is using to get our attention -- does not appear to care what God's Word says -- would be showing a non-understanding of real Christianity.

There are Lots of people who have read God's Word -- at least once -- But -- for whatever reason -- it does not 'click' with them. They will acknowledge the Bible as literature that Does exist -- but beyond That -- -- well ----- toss it out the window.
I read what you said. I know the story very well, you dont actually need to explain it. I could preach a pretty good sermon.

You said to look at the benefits of Christianity; I pointed out that other religions seem to get better results. Stats, and all. You talk about what a True Christian is.

But anyway, this is getting nowhere.
crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by crochet1949 »

And following that which 'other religions' teach isn't going to get a person to heaven. Remember the 'not good works' -- and those other religions Teach good works. So -- that leaves a person Not getting to a heaven that you don't believe exists?! You seem to disregard the content of the story that you know very well. But, then again, a 'story' can be either fiction or non-fiction -- and you've been choosing to classify it as fiction.

'This' can be going anywhere it wants to go.

Anyone Else care to 'tune in' ?!
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

crochet1949 wrote:And following that which 'other religions' teach isn't going to get a person to heaven. Remember the 'not good works' -- and those other religions Teach good works. So -- that leaves a person Not getting to a heaven that you don't believe exists?! You seem to disregard the content of the story that you know very well. But, then again, a 'story' can be either fiction or non-fiction -- and you've been choosing to classify it as fiction.

You brought up the bennies of getting right religion, right here on earth.
I pointed out that if that is a metric, then one is better off being Hindu.

YOU introduced the topic, and now, 'seem to disrggard" it when it backfired.

It wont hurt you to accept the facts as they stand.

Fundamentalist Christians tend to cluster around the low end of the socio economic / education scale, and Hindus / Jews around the top. Just a fact.
crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by crochet1949 »

Audie wrote:
crochet1949 wrote:And following that which 'other religions' teach isn't going to get a person to heaven. Remember the 'not good works' -- and those other religions Teach good works. So -- that leaves a person Not getting to a heaven that you don't believe exists?! You seem to disregard the content of the story that you know very well. But, then again, a 'story' can be either fiction or non-fiction -- and you've been choosing to classify it as fiction.

Fundamentalist Christians tend to cluster around the low end of the socio economic / education scale, and Hindus / Jews around the top. Just a fact.

I don't know Where you get your 'facts' from -- but ..... the benefits of getting religion right - here on earth-- there's no where else To get it right -- it's either Here on earth or -- no 2nd chances once a person realizes they made the wrong choice.
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

crochet1949 wrote:
Audie wrote:

I don't know Where you get your 'facts' from -- but ..... the benefits of getting religion right - here on earth-- there's no where else To get it right -- it's either Here on earth or -- no 2nd chances once a person realizes they made the wrong choice.

It is not "facts", which clearly implies what I said is phony, that I am speaking falsehoods,
perferring that to making the tiny effort to check for yourself?

Start here..http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/20 ... us-groups/

Education level is as I said.

You said life here on earth gets better for Christians; maybe it does for some.
People in other religions do better. Fact.

Now you've shifted to the afterlife, but that is a different topic.

Look up all the stats you please, at your leisure, but your god delivers no more bebefits here on earth
than from other religions. Less, actually.

Go back to your original statement to which I suggested the Mormon faith.

I was wrong; it is Hindus and Jews. You were wrong too. I can admit a mistake. Can you?
crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by crochet1949 »

Thank you for providing your link.

One of the positives of Christianity is the Inner peace a person has through Christ -- God's forgiveness -- there are those with Lots of money and a Good education but No inner peace -- an inner searching for it.

Actually -- life can get worse for Christians -- while here on earth. They want to share their new faith in Christ and get ridiculed / can loose friends/ families might give them trouble simply because they choose to give up social drinking, they don't want to 'party' any more. Because their accepting Jesus Christ as personal Savior goes against the family religious traditions. They will be gaining New friends from church / Bible studies. God gives them inner peace that they know they made the right decision. And -- in the process of all of 'this' - people / friends Can see a positive difference in their lives and decide to listen to them and also accept Christ. And sometimes they are forever out of the family.

Being willing to do the Right thing, but for the Wrong reasons will still result in hell for Eternity. A person can put on a tie and dress slacks and go door to door handing out pamphlets --maybe even for a Baptist church Or a Mormon church -- but That 'good deed' will Not earn their way into heaven. Maybe there will be people who will visit a given church as a result --That is wonderful -- but 'visiting a church' or accepting religious material Will Not earn that person their entrance to heaven.

The person who does good things Because they love God and want to do those things out of love for Him. That's the idea.

I've known some very wealthy people who are wonderful Christians and have great educations. And I've known some very poor people with little education and who love the Lord. No one can take money or prestige with them to heaven.
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

crochet1949 wrote:Thank you for providing your link.

One of the positives of Christianity is the Inner peace a person has through Christ -- God's forgiveness -- there are those with Lots of money and a Good education but No inner peace -- an inner searching for it.

Actually -- life can get worse for Christians -- while here on earth. They want to share their new faith in Christ and get ridiculed / can loose friends/ families might give them trouble simply because they choose to give up social drinking, they don't want to 'party' any more. Because their accepting Jesus Christ as personal Savior goes against the family religious traditions. They will be gaining New friends from church / Bible studies. God gives them inner peace that they know they made the right decision. And -- in the process of all of 'this' - people / friends Can see a positive difference in their lives and decide to listen to them and also accept Christ. And sometimes they are forever out of the family.

Being willing to do the Right thing, but for the Wrong reasons will still result in hell for Eternity. A person can put on a tie and dress slacks and go door to door handing out pamphlets --maybe even for a Baptist church Or a Mormon church -- but That 'good deed' will Not earn their way into heaven. Maybe there will be people who will visit a given church as a result --That is wonderful -- but 'visiting a church' or accepting religious material Will Not earn that person their entrance to heaven.

The person who does good things Because they love God and want to do those things out of love for Him. That's the idea.

I've known some very wealthy people who are wonderful Christians and have great educations. And I've known some very poor people with little education and who love the Lord. No one can take money or prestige with them to heaven.

Inner peace is a theme with several religions.

As for me, I am not a peaceful sort. So meditating, or whatever does not interest me.

People make a lot of rather silly claims about what becoming Christian did for them. I guess some
achieve sobriety or whatev by going thr church route. But the ones who think they are filled with el holy spirit, get access to arcane info that way, or other magic powers are fulla crap.

"Take up cross and follow" isnt promising a rose garden, which may account for why few do.

Anyway..I feel as if maybe I am leading you on, thinking I may
become Christianized. Your effort would be more productive elsewhere.