Suppose God allowed you to try to change history by killing Hitler?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
ultimate777
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Suppose God allowed you to try to change history by killing Hitler?

Post by ultimate777 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byIkAPRnWnU

I sure hope the link works. And you have the time for it.

Do you think trying something like this if one could is doomed to come out like this did,
or might God allow it to work?
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Suppose God allowed you to try to change history by killing Hitler?

Post by PaulSacramento »

No.
The timeline paradox aside ( you can't change the very event that causes you to time travel), we need to remember that evil serves a purpose, that it exists for a reason and the repercussions of changing free will....well...

Let's also remember that Hitler forced no one to follow him (personally I mean), the time was ripe for "a hitler" and it it wasn't him, it would have been someone else.
ultimate777

Post by ultimate777 »

PaulSacramento wrote:No.
The timeline paradox aside ( you can't change the very event that causes you to time travel), we need to remember that evil serves a purpose, that it exists for a reason and the repercussions of changing free will....well...

Let's also remember that Hitler forced no one to follow him (personally I mean), the time was ripe for "a hitler" and it it wasn't him, it would have been someone else.
I'm sorry, but, maybe, excepting what you said about the paradox, I don't buy any of what you said at all.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

ultimate777 wrote:

I'm sorry, but, maybe, excepting what you said about the paradox, I don't buy any of what you said at all.
You don't buy the people have free will?
Or you don't but that Germany in the 1930's was ripe for a dictator?
ultimate777

Post by ultimate777 »

PaulSacramento wrote:
ultimate777 wrote:

I don't even understand your ideas about free will, and I don't buy that Germany was ripe for a Hitler, whom I consider unique, if one was not readily available. Maybe a Franco.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

ultimate777 wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:
ultimate777 wrote:

I don't even understand your ideas about free will, and I don't buy that Germany was ripe for a Hitler, whom I consider unique, if one was not readily available. Maybe a Franco.

That you don't understand free will is not my problem.
It is fine that you don't buy into the historical view that Germany was ripe for "a hitler".
You asked from an opinion on an impossible event ( time travel) and I gave you one.
Agree or don't, it doesn't matter.

You should, however, read up on freewill and Germany after the 1st world war, it may open your eyes.

By the way, stating that if it wasn't Hitler it would have been someone else does NOT diminish the evil that was Hitler.
It simply means that the PEOPLE or germany would have followed another with the same message.
To what extent is arguable of course.
One can argue that another with more military experience than Hitler may have done WORSE and succeed where Hitler failed.
puddleglum
Newbie Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by puddleglum »

I can think of two situations where killing Hitler might have made things worse.

Hitler made mistakes which helped lead to his defeat. He attacked Russia while still at was with Britain and then declared war on the US before he had conquered Russia. If he had been killed Germany might have been ruled by someone who would have avoided these mistakes and might have won the war.

Before the Nazis took over Germany they were in a struggle with the Communists for power. If they hadn't had Hitler to lead them the Communists might have won and then we could have had WWII with the Soviet Union an ally of Germany rather than an enemy.

We need to remember that regardless of how bad things appear God is in control. Hitler's rise to power wouldn't have succeeded if God hadn't allowed it.

The LORD has made everything for its purpose,
even the wicked for the day of trouble.
(Proverbs 16:4 ESV)
bbyrd009
BANNED

Post by bbyrd009 »

amen. Germans manifested him, and voted him into office.
"Creation is continuous, and never stops."