Stance on Divorce

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
Vergil
Established Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Stance on Divorce

Post by Vergil »

Hmmm, Divorce seem to be a hot topic here on my home country (The Philippines), as a Catholic, I am bound to disagree to Divorce as it said in the Scriptures.

Mark 10:9 "Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate."
Matthew 19:6 "So they are no longer two, but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate."
1 Corinthians 7:10-11 "To the married I give this charge (not I, but the Lord): the wife should not separate from her husband (but if she does, she should remain unmarried or else be reconciled to her husband), and the husband should not divorce his wife."

But it seems the people want the Divorce bill to be passed, how are things in your countries? and what's your stance on Divorce?

(Delete if unnecessary)
Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me.
- Jesus Christ

Disappointment is inevitable. But to become discouraged, there's a choice I make. God would never discourage me. He would always point me to himself to trust him. Therefore, my discouragement is from Satan. As you go through the emotions that we have, hostility is not from God, bitterness, unforgiveness, all of these are attacks from Satan.
- Charles Stanley
crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: Stance on Divorce

Post by crochet1949 »

Scripture Does state that except for adultery or an unbelieving spouse choosing to leave a marriage we Are to stay together. But 'we' usually add -- in cases of physical abusiveness or life being in danger due to drugs/ alcohol -- that it would be justifiable To leave. But -- think about it -- people don't usually wake up some morning and realize their spouse is abusive or doing drugs or drinking. Or maybe they Do. But How do these situations Get that way in the first place.

Scripture Also tells believers to unite Only with another believer. And husbands are told a couple of times to Love Your Wife.

There is a tendency to enter into marriage Without the 'until Death do us part / in sickness , or for Poorer, Forsaking all others." It is entered into without much thought -- and ended for poor reasons.

Commitment isn't taken very seriously. People are getting farther and farther away from Biblical morality / ethics.
Vergil
Established Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Stance on Divorce

Post by Vergil »

I know, it's just that it saddens my heart to see lovers torn asunder and people getting divorce left and right

It's not a joke getting married, and you are given like many days before you get married to think if this is what you want and such.

We are giving the future generation a bad example
Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me.
- Jesus Christ

Disappointment is inevitable. But to become discouraged, there's a choice I make. God would never discourage me. He would always point me to himself to trust him. Therefore, my discouragement is from Satan. As you go through the emotions that we have, hostility is not from God, bitterness, unforgiveness, all of these are attacks from Satan.
- Charles Stanley