Anything worth going to hell for?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
ultimate777
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Anything worth going to hell for?

Post by ultimate777 »

I'm rephrasing a question I very likely made too complicated the first time.

Lets just stay off whether this could really happen, OK? Its a thought experiment.

Is there anything you would be willing to go to hell for if you THOUGHT it would benefit people you particularly care for or even humanity in general?

For me, there is nothing or nobody.
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female

Re: Anything worth going to hell for?

Post by Storyteller »

I like to think that I would sacrifice my salvation if it meant saving someone else but its easy to say.
All I can say really is that my heart breaks for humanity sometimes, so, if there was a chance to save it, I'd take it, because it isnt about me, its about God.
If by going to hell, everyone else was saved, then I would do it.
What better way to love my neighbour?
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

ultimate777 wrote:I'm rephrasing a question I very likely made too complicated the first time.

Lets just stay off whether this could really happen, OK? Its a thought experiment.

Is there anything you would be willing to go to hell for if you THOUGHT it would benefit people you particularly care for or even humanity in general?

The question is nonsensical and cannot be answered. To choose to go to hell is to choose to reject perfect goodness. No matter the altruistic motives, one is still rejecting perfect goodness and therefore the very act is intrinsically evil.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

Wouldnt the very fact you choose to go to hell to save someone keep you safe though, if you trust in Christ?
And would He not go looking for His lost sheep?

If something, anything I could do would save humanity I would do it, thing is salvation is through faith and thats a personal choice.
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Storyteller wrote:Wouldnt the very fact you choose to go to hell to save someone keep you safe though, if you trust in Christ?
And would He not go looking for His lost sheep?

If something, anything I could do would save humanity I would do it, thing is salvation is through faith and thats a personal choice.
You'd effectively be banking on putting God in a corner. Save me even though I totally rejected you because I thought my intentions were good.

And the scenario here is total rejection of God, i.e. at no point there was any trust put in Christ.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

Thats why its hypothetical though, isnt it? I could never reject Christ.

For me, I see it as a sacrifice. If it saved everyone else but it cost my soul? Me or them?
How can I not?
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Storyteller wrote:Thats why its hypothetical though, isnt it? I could never reject Christ.

For me, I see it as a sacrifice. If it saved everyone else but it cost my soul? Me or them?
How can I not?
That's the thing though, it's not a sacrifice because the very act is evil. It's a logical contradiction, the question cannot be answered.

RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Hypothetical...

Even though you have 4 sides, would you be a triangle if it meant that it would save your 5 sided friends from being a hexagon?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

RickD wrote:Hypothetical...

Even though you have 4 sides, would you be a triangle if it meant that it would save your 5 sided friends from being a hexagon?
Exactly. Demonstrate a 4-sided triangle to save everyone else and you go to hell. That's what it boils down to.

Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

If by choosing evil and rejecting God it saved the rest of humanity, how is that not a sacrifice?
Especially knowing, and believing what I do.
Its more that I couldnt reject Christ knowing what I do.

Rick...

No, I would use an eraser and protractor.
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

Byblos wrote:

Exactly. Demonstrate a 4-sided triangle to save everyone else and you go to hell. That's what it boils down to.
y*-:)

I get it now!
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Storyteller wrote:
Byblos wrote:

y*-:)

I get it now!
:jumping: :twodancing: :rockcool:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

:troll:
crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by crochet1949 »

Actually -- everyone deserves to Go to hell. No one on this earth can go to hell for anyone else -- and hell is a permanent location. To even presume to be good enough to go to hell for someone else / save Them at the expense of myself / Jesus Christ already Did that. If I thought God would give me 'bonus points' or something? No, cause that would be a 'good work' that would keep me in hell? The concept is for our 'good work' to earn us a Better place in Heaven.
So - no thanks. I'm Not going to volunteer to spend eternity in hell so someone else / maybe even lots of people would be free of that,. Because it's an individual's person choice of where he/ she spends eternity.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

ultimate777 wrote:I'm rephrasing a question I very likely made too complicated the first time.

Answer is no...

We cannot do this because Jesus paid the price for our sins once and for all.

To insinuate that someone could would make the work of Jesus Christ on the cross of no effect.

The better way is now, and I mean in someone's MORTAL NOW, in this mortal life is how we can spare someone from hell by the gospel of Jesus Christ bearers of the message and by being living examples of the message we share.

Now, when you tell folks this, they may make your life a little hell like on earth and hey may become convicted of their abuse and turn to Jesus or they may not. Choice is theirs to make.

Hope this helps.
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys