"Impossible" prayers

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
ultimate777
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

"Impossible" prayers

Post by ultimate777 »

What I want is generally considered physically impossible. If I told you what it was you would just ridicule me, at least in your minds.
Is it it wrong to pray for something I imagine even a lot of you would say God cannot do?

I don't really have any faith God WILL do it but I believe He CAN. But nothing ventured, nothing gained, right? I trust Him not to give it to me if it would be hurtful.

It doesn't hurt to ask, or does it?
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Re: "Impossible" prayers

Post by abelcainsbrother »

With God all things are possible,but this song comes to mind.

Unanswered Prayers by Garth Brooks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GuA5PZx3K4
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
Philip
Site Owner
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Philip »

What I want is generally considered physically impossible. If I told you what it was you would just ridicule me, at least in your minds.
Is it it wrong to pray for something I imagine even a lot of you would say God cannot do?

I don't really have any faith God WILL do it but I believe He CAN. But nothing ventured, nothing gained, right? I trust Him not to give it to me if it would be hurtful.

It doesn't hurt to ask, or does it?
It doesn't hurt to ask anything that you have no reason to think is sinful, hurtful, harmful or that you think might reasonably be God's will - something that is good, useful, has spiritual benefits, etc. And if you pray something that is God's will for you, then He will answer that prayer. And prayer is one way of learning God's will. Even a "no" or a no answer is an answer. Just don't treat God and prayer like He is an automatic teller machine - you know, you stick in your bank card, type in your money amount request (your prayer) and thus the machine (God) will automatically give you what your asked for. God's not like that. And He knows, as you alluded, that we often pray for things either out of His and/or that are either wrong or He doesn't want for us.
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Storyteller »

I wouldnt ridicule you.

I dont think anything is impossible for God, even something considered physically impossible.
Without knowing what it is, its hard to answer but maybe praying to accept whatever it is is more realistic.

Having said that, if you dont ask, you wont get.
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
swordfish7
Recognized Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by swordfish7 »

I like praying the "impossible" prayers. God likes it when his people step out with wise faith. Wise faith may pray for somebody to come to faith like Bill Nye. It may ask for a spiritual awakening to sweep America, China, or even a continent like Africa. Foolish prayers would be ones where they are filled with our worldly desires such as marrying that beautiful girl we have our eye on, or we get that fancy car, or we become a Christian rock star etc. Foolish prayers would also be ones where we tempt God by saying, "God you got to save me" as we foolishly jump off a cliff - sleep with an somebody, drunk driving, etc. Now there may be some out there that have the talent and the humility to be a Christian rock star, so for some it may be a God honoring prayer, but I think you understand what I am saying! God bless you and seize the day for God!
swordfish7
Recognized Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by swordfish7 »

But one other point, we should NOT be angry at God if he chooses to not answer our prayer. God is not a candy machine where we put in our buck worth of prayers and we get our goodies out. God is God and he will not play our foolish games where we try to manipulate him!