Kill Hitler and go to Hell

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
ultimate777
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Kill Hitler and go to Hell

Post by ultimate777 »

I think there can be great value in impossible hypothetical questions. I think they can help you decide what is really most important to yourself and to others. They can help stimulate your mind so it can help you in more "practical" things.
How one responds to hypothetical questions can tell volumes about one's character. Especially if someone tries to change the hypotheticals.

But I could be all wrong, its happened before. What do you think?

Anyhow here is one for you, also:

Suppose you could go back in time to just before the war and kill Hitler, but you would go to Hell when you die, otherwise
you go to heaven for sure if you just stay here?
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Kill Hitler and go to Hell

Post by RickD »

Why would killing Hitler be a reason to go to hell? People don't go to hell because they murder someone, or because of any other sin they commit. People go to hell because they don't have eternal life. And they don't have eternal life because they don't trust Christ for salvation.

If you're going to make a meaningless hypothetical which changes how/why someone goes to hell, I think you need to explain why in your hypothetical world, murder sends someone to hell.

In other words, you're changing the rules, without telling what the rules in your hypothetical are.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
ultimate777

Post by ultimate777 »

I'm sorry Rick, but I think you bear out my opinions better than I ever could, you of the sarcastic patron saint:)

Oh by the way, I understand Dietrich Bonhoffer discussed a similar question in talking about why he plotted against Hitler's life.I just ratcheded it up a few notches, as thinking people sometimes do. He said he would go to hell if that's what it took, IIRC
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

It becomes a question, a timeless question actually, of:
Ends Justify the means VS The means make the end valid.
Vergil
Established Member

Post by Vergil »

Killing Heir Hitler and go to Hell for killing him? Why not change him for the better? seriously other than killing him (for it's easy and a easy way-out) why not change Hitler for the better?

Hmmm killing doesn't mean that you'll automatically go to hell because you killed someone, you only go to Hell if you didn't trust in Christ and God.

But in a Sci-fi way
Killing Hitler would have change the very face of the world we know today
And every choice has a consequence
Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me.
- Jesus Christ

Disappointment is inevitable. But to become discouraged, there's a choice I make. God would never discourage me. He would always point me to himself to trust him. Therefore, my discouragement is from Satan. As you go through the emotions that we have, hostility is not from God, bitterness, unforgiveness, all of these are attacks from Satan.
- Charles Stanley
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

The Bible says that he whom plots and sheds innocent blood deliberately shall himself be put to death. That's the Biblical justification for executing murderers. And Hitler didn't murder just ONE, he directed that millions be killed. Silly question.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Philip wrote:The Bible says that he whom plots and sheds innocent blood deliberately shall himself be put to death. That's the Biblical justification for executing murderers. And Hitler didn't murder just ONE, he directed that millions be killed. Silly question.
But in the hypothetical, I think the assumption is that Hitler hadn't killed anyone yet.
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

ultimate777

Post by ultimate777 »

You're absolutely right, Rick. My hypothetical assumes what will happen if nothing is done, that's the thing.
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

But in the hypothetical, I think the assumption is that Hitler hadn't killed anyone yet.
And the hypothetical IS that ONLY one whom lives in the present, whom also knows what a monster he turned out to be, would want to go BACK IN TIME, and kill Hitler before he can cause such atrocities. Else why would someone want to go back and kill someone they know nothing about? y:-?
ultimate777

Post by ultimate777 »

See uchronia.com for one.
ultimate777

Post by ultimate777 »

Or maybe I should put it this way:

User avatarPhilip
Board Moderator
Postby Philip » Wed May 04, 2016 11:28 am

And the hypothetical IS that ONLY one whom lives in the present, whom also knows what a monster he turned out to be, would want to go BACK IN TIME, and kill Hitler before he can cause such atrocities. Else why would someone want to go back and kill someone they know nothing about? y:-?

See uchronia.com
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

This thread has got me wonderin. If I call Doc Brown and Marty, maybe I can turn the hypothetical into reality.

But seriously, if we could go back in time and mess with history like that, there's a chance that we would not be born. For example, if my killing Hitler in any way affected my Grandparents' timing of conceiving my parents, then I'd never exist. And if I never exist, I can't go back in time. Then we have some kind of paradox, like when we try to divide by zero. The whole universe may get sucked into a giant black hole.

-Edward R Murrow

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

RickD wrote:This thread has got me wonderin. If I call Doc Brown and Marty, maybe I can turn the hypothetical into reality.

But seriously, if we could go back in time and mess with history like that, there's a chance that we would not be born. For example, if my killing Hitler in any way affected my Grandparents' timing of conceiving my parents, then I'd never exist. And if I never exist, I can't go back in time. Then we have some kind of paradox, like when we try to divide by zero. The whole universe may get sucked into a giant black hole.
The timeline paradox will not allow for the past to be changed.
One can not eliminate or change the very reason that one travels back in time.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

PaulSacramento wrote:
RickD wrote:This thread has got me wonderin. If I call Doc Brown and Marty, maybe I can turn the hypothetical into reality.

Not according to Back to the Future. Remember the picture of Marty's family disappearing?

-Edward R Murrow

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

RickD wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:

Not according to Back to the Future. Remember the picture of Marty's family disappearing?
The physicist in me was quite upset ! :evil: