Exodus, fact or fairy tale?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
Audie
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Re: Exodus, fact or fairy tale?

Post by Audie »

[quote="PaulSacramento
No BUT it also means that just because we don't have any archaeological evidence to show that Exodus happened that way we think it did, means that it never happened at all.[/quote]

True, it is not like the flood story, that way, There may well have bern a mass migration
out of Egypt, however litte a participant might recognize it in the retelling.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

Here Is an example:
Archaeologists thought that King david never existed because there was no evidence for him, until they found the Tel Dan Stela, a basalt stone dating from the 9th century B.C. bearing David’s name and identifying him as king of Israel.
In 1868, a stone tablet was discovered in Jordan. It was written by a Moabite king named Mesha, an enemy of Israel.

The stone dates to around 840 BC, less than 200 years after David and it provides the first known reference to the "House of David" outside the Bible.

The thing about any science is that the most it can claim is there is no evidence CURRENTLY for something but it can never make an explicit statement.
Archaeology is in the same boat. While archaeologists can state there has not been found any evidence for the exodus as such, they can not state that it never happened because, as we have seen over na dover through out history, just because we don't know about something NOW, doesn't mean we won't know about it tomorrow.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Audie wrote:[quote="PaulSacramento
No BUT it also means that just because we don't have any archaeological evidence to show that Exodus happened that way we think it did, means that it never happened at all.

True, it is not like the flood story, that way, There may well have bern a mass migration
out of Egypt, however litte a participant might recognize it in the retelling.[/quote]

There are some historical views that do lend themselves to the exodus and you should know that most scholars don't really look at the number of people written in Exodus to be accurate.
Philip
Site Owner
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Philip »

There IS evidence for the Exodus, though indirect - which given an ancient, vast area and era of stone, warfare, destruction, rubble, rebuilding, etc., this should be unsurprising, and as much in cities, even more difficult in remote areas. Historical references, if not in stone or engravings, would not exist. Certainly, the Egyptian leaders, then and later, would not have their power questioned as the plagues preceding the Exodus were each tied to humiliating belief in specific, non-existent deities. So, any potential records of an Exodus of former slaves, of an epic humiliation, would have been totally sanitized, not just by history and time, but deliberately, by those in power at the time.

Here is wonderful overview of the INDIRECT and circumstantial evidences for the Exodus, from Biblicalarchaeology.org:

http://www.biblearchaeology.org/post/20 ... px#Article
winningedge101
Acquainted Member

Post by winningedge101 »

Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

I don't understand the fuss really.
Never did when doing a little historical criticism and the passing comments some made.
What kind of evidence should we expect is a better question going back those 1000s of years?

It seems to me the historical writings themselves, putting any religious element aside, are often unfairly treated.
The mere fact these writings form the Christian "Bible" and Jewish Tanakh, that they form religious canon, now these historical writings must in all areas prove themselves innocent rather than being treated as innocent until proven guilty?

If we had historical writings preserved from Chinese culture, Greek and what-have-you, there wouldn't be and isn't the same high level of scrutiny and non-acceptance. Yes, you might shave obvious embellishments off here and there -- but it's unreasonable to say its all wrong especially when in many cases there's nothing to the contrary except critical speculation.

There is extremism on both sides. Those who say everything is entirely true, spick and span. And those who say, nope, "the Bible" is untrue - it has been proven false (composition fallacy). Well, what about digging in and exploring. More often then not, you walk away with everything not tied down, but and matters of it is probably or not likely... but rarely, if ever, is knowledge of truth air-tight.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
EssentialSacrifice
Advanced Senior Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by EssentialSacrifice »

There is extremism on both sides. Those who say everything is entirely true, spick and span. And those who say, nope, "the Bible" is untrue - it has been proven false (composition fallacy). Well, what about digging in and exploring. More often then not, you walk away with everything not tied down, but and matters of it is probably or not likely... but rarely, if ever, is knowledge of truth air-tight.

thank you K, words of wisdom ... let's, today, be extremists of prayer and faith and let past history fend for itself. it will all come out in the wash and, in the end, have very little to do with our love of Christ, our Lord.
Trust the past to God’s mercy, the present to God’s love, and the future to God’s providence. -St Augustine
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

Kurieuo wrote:I don't understand the fuss really.
Never did when doing a little historical criticism and the passing comments some made.
What kind of evidence should we expect is a better question going back those 1000s of years?

It seems to me the historical writings themselves, putting any religious element aside, are often unfairly treated.
The mere fact these writings form the Christian "Bible" and Jewish Tanakh, that they form religious canon, now these historical writings must in all areas prove themselves innocent rather than being treated as innocent until proven guilty?

If we had historical writings preserved from Chinese culture, Greek and what-have-you, there wouldn't be and isn't the same high level of scrutiny and non-acceptance. Yes, you might shave obvious embellishments off here and there -- but it's unreasonable to say its all wrong especially when in many cases there's nothing to the contrary except critical speculation.

It is senseless to speak of the Bible being "true" or, "false". If someone needs that explained, it may not be worth explaining. it to them.

Now as to whether or not there is a seed crystal of reality in the exodus story, probably is. How much it has been fluffed up is hard to tell from this remove. I am guessing it is mostly fluff.

The people who keep going out and finding noahs ark, or chariot wheels in the Red Sea may enjoy some
publicity, paid vacations to the middle east and so forth, but the ones we've seen so far are contributing nothing but to themselves, and the fog of confusion about what may or may not be historical events.
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Now as to whether or not there is a seed crystal of reality in the exodus story, probably is. How much it has been fluffed up is hard to tell from this remove.

I am guessing it is mostly fluff.
Yes, you ARE guessing. :D
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Philip wrote:
Now as to whether or not there is a seed crystal of reality in the exodus story, probably is. How much it has been fluffed up is hard to tell from this remove.

Guessing?
More like hoping. y[-(
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

RickD wrote:
Philip wrote:

Guessing?
More like hoping. y[-(

No, RD, its not "hoping". That is so far off that its not, as they say, even wrong.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Audie wrote:
RickD wrote:
Philip wrote:

Guessing?
More like hoping. y[-(

No, RD, its not "hoping". That is so far off that its not, as they say, even wrong.
That's good to hear Audie. :D
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

Any time, RD. I wonder tho why you'd ever even think such a thing?
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Audie wrote:Any time, RD. I wonder tho why you'd ever even think such a thing?
I was just posting it that way, hoping you'd respond.

I like to think you're one of the more reasonable agnostics here. :D

-Edward R Murrow