Depression and Existential Crisis, how to overcome it?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Re: Depression and Existential Crisis, how to overcome it?

Post by Kurieuo »

HappyFlappyDeist wrote:
Audie wrote:
I try to understand why there are so many atheists and Neo-atheists that try to destroy people's faith to feel better
Because they're insecure in their own beliefs; it's the same reason many 'immature' christians mock and belittle non-theistic beliefs. Mockery and belittlement can bring a faint, short-lived, sense of security to a person.
Come on, I'd belittle and tell anyone who believed the universe came from nothing they're stupid and got no brains, not just your "non-theists". :poke:
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Audie
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Audie »

Kurieuo wrote:
HappyFlappyDeist wrote:
Audie wrote:
I try to understand why there are so many atheists and Neo-atheists that try to destroy people's faith to feel better
Because they're insecure in their own beliefs; it's the same reason many 'immature' christians mock and belittle non-theistic beliefs. Mockery and belittlement can bring a faint, short-lived, sense of security to a person.
Come on, I'd belittle and tell anyone who believed the universe came from nothing they're stupid and got no brains, not just your "non-theists". :poke:
Dont fake-quote me.

The universe from nothing is such a moldy strawman, does it really amuse you so?
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Kurieuo wrote:
HappyFlappyDeist wrote:
Audie wrote:
Then I guess you should start belittling me, because I believe the universe came out of/from nothing. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ex_nihilo

I'm such a dummy!
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

RickD wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:
HappyFlappyDeist wrote:
Audie wrote:
Then I guess you should start belittling me, because I believe the universe came out of/from nothing. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ex_nihilo

I'm such a dummy!
Actually, yes, I've attacked William Lane Craig on that front.
Because when you read him, he'll say God spoke the universe into existence from absolutely nothing.
Just because you add God into the picture, doesn't mean nothing gives you something.
But, I'll overlook that because I haven't questioned him on it thoroughly.

y:-? but I can you! What do you mean the universe came out of/from nothing?
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

Audie wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:
HappyFlappyDeist wrote:
Audie wrote:
Dont fake-quote me.

The universe from nothing is such a moldy strawman, does it really amuse you so?
I'll fake quote you all I want because I want to be cool too!

And it's a very relevant argument since a lot of Atheists believe it after their pope Dawkins, Krauss and co.
Those who differ just offer their baseless opinion and don't provide much better alternatives. :D
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Kurieuo wrote:
RickD wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:
HappyFlappyDeist wrote:
Audie wrote:

I'm such a dummy!
Actually, yes, I've attacked William Lane Craig on that front.
Because when you read him, he'll say God spoke the universe into existence from absolutely nothing.
Just because you add God into the picture, doesn't mean nothing gives you something.

I thought the wiki link explained that! y:-?
And FYI, I was just teasing you anyways. As I understand ex nihilo, it means out of nothing physical. We all know(except dummy atheists) that the universe came from God.
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

RickD wrote:
kurieuo wrote:Actually, yes, I've attacked William Lane Craig on that front.

And FYI, I was just teasing you anyways. As I understand ex nihilo, it means out of nothing physical. We all know(except dummy atheists) that the universe came from God.
But they do have an adequate response.
It's called "red herring" or "squid inking". Avoiding the topic. Diversion.
Whining, "well, who created god/gods?"
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Kurieuo wrote:
RickD wrote:
kurieuo wrote:Actually, yes, I've attacked William Lane Craig on that front.

But they do have an adequate response.
It's called "red herring" or "squid inking". Avoiding the topic. Diversion.
Whining, "well, who created god/gods?"
That's the million dollar question. Who created God? I'm still stuck on that one. It keeps me awake at night!

Btw, did you hear about the dyslexic, agnostic, insomniac?

He stays awake at night wondering if there's a dog.

-Edward R Murrow

HappyFlappyTheist
Established Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by HappyFlappyTheist »

If we're talking about nothing within the confines of its actual definition -not Dr.Kraus's-, no sensible agnostic/atheist would make the claim "the universe came out of nothing." Their view, to my understanding, is simply the Universe (and the matter composing it) through its many dimensions / multiverses meets the true definition of infinite. I agree with Audie, stating atheist believe "the universe came out of nothing *for no reason*," or any variant of that statement, is attacking a straw man.

Note the important definition of nothing; many atheist you may quote are referring to 'confused kraut Kraus's' butchering of the definition for "nothing" which isn't truly a "nothing" (and I'm sure he's not the only one doing the butchering).

A far more sensible conversation that could be taking place is whether this regressably infinite matter can actually exist and what evidence supports this claim (and vise versa). I find that far more amusing than dissecting silly statements sane people don't actually say.
pulvis sum
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

I wouldn't call it stupid necessarily, if there is a higher purpose to it than what is being immediately said.
Audie appeared to instantly understand what I was doing to a degree.
HappyFlappyTheist
Established Member

To the OP

It sounds like this depression of yours is brought on by yourself. Sounds harsh. But think about it.

If I consistently download a podcast that's full of 'get-you-down' phrases like "you're an idiot," "nobody loves you," "you're a failure," "all your beliefs are wrong," "how can you believe that you twit!", then I go to a psychologist telling them that I'm depressed because of it, they'd probably look at me pretty funny. Reading atheistic forums/websites heavily slanted to make theist look like gullible buffoons and their position as the only reasonable one isn't going to help. Falling away from a faith isn't the same as falling away from atheism; you, unlike them, are actually losing something that's a part of you. From my completely unqualified opinion, that's probably why you're down.

Nobody likes feeling like an idiot or being called one; why, then, download a podcast calling you one?
A post I found through my creepish stalking of Rickd's old posts comes to find. "If hitting your head against a brick wall hurts, stop doing it."

Scientific inquiry and theism bashing are two entirely separate things. Theism bashing parties like to think that they're "scientific inquisitors" and others are "indoctrinated theist buffoons;" that is, obviously, false. For many, the wonders of the cosmos shout loudly for a creator being; a grand designer. You can explore science without atheistic dribble tainting its beauty; I suggest doing just that. Cosmological beauty has opened many eyes.
pulvis sum
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

HappyFlappyDeist wrote:If we're talking about nothing within the confines of its actual definition -not Dr.Kraus's-, no sensible agnostic/atheist would make the claim "the universe came out of nothing." Their view, to my understanding, is simply the Universe (and the matter composing it) through its many dimensions / multiverses meets the true definition of infinite. I agree with Audie, stating atheist believe "the universe came out of nothing *for no reason*," or any variant of that statement, is attacking a straw man.

Note the important definition of nothing; many atheist you may quote are referring to 'confused kraut Kraus's' butchering of the definition for "nothing" which isn't truly a "nothing" (and I'm sure he's not the only one doing the butchering).

A far more sensible conversation that could be taking place is whether this regressably infinite matter can actually exist and what evidence supports this claim (and vise versa). I find that far more amusing than dissecting silly statements sane people don't actually say.

Even though I'm not a catholic this priest I think makes valid arguments against atheism.It is a little long but if you can take the time to watch it? I think he brings up valid points against atheism.I found this very interesting and a good teaching even though I'm not a Catholic and cringe a little with certain catholic doctrine he brings up,like the bread and wine actually becoming Jesus,but still overall this is a great teaching that I recommend watching.Here is the link.

https://m.youtube.com/?#/watch?v=qlC4EDvX_hM
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
HappyFlappyTheist
Established Member

abelcainsbrother wrote:
HappyFlappyDeist wrote:If we're talking about nothing within the confines of its actual definition -not Dr.Kraus's-, no sensible agnostic/atheist would make the claim "the universe came out of nothing." Their view, to my understanding, is simply the Universe (and the matter composing it) through its many dimensions / multiverses meets the true definition of infinite. I agree with Audie, stating atheist believe "the universe came out of nothing *for no reason*," or any variant of that statement, is attacking a straw man.

.I found this very interesting and a good teaching even though I'm not a Catholic and cringe a little with certain catholic doctrine he brings up,like the bread and wine actually becoming Jesus,but still overall this is a great teaching that I recommend watching.
why does that make you cringe?
pulvis sum
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

HappyFlappyDeist wrote:
abelcainsbrother wrote:

.I found this very interesting and a good teaching even though I'm not a Catholic and cringe a little with certain catholic doctrine he brings up,like the bread and wine actually becoming Jesus,but still overall this is a great teaching that I recommend watching.
why does that make you cringe?
Because Jesus is at the right hand of God until he returns and we partake of the Lord's supper or communion in remembrance of what he did for us.But Catholics disagree and believe it actually becomes him.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Storyteller »

Luke 22:19

Christ gave the bread and stated "This is my body" not this is like my body, or this is in rememberance of my body, He said it is my body. Same with the wine/blood.

I am not a Catholic (yet!) but here`s my take on it. Yes, communion is done in rememberance but also for spiritual nourishment. From Christ Himself.
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran