What are your thoughts on the Gideons Bible organization?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
DRDS
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

What are your thoughts on the Gideons Bible organization?

Post by DRDS »

I was wondering mainly because I'm wanting to start giving to them and I wonder if it's a good and reputable organization. I'm almost 100% that it is because it's been around way longer than me and it seems to have a very good reputation. I've previously been giving to American Bible Society but I'm growing skeptical of them mainly for the simple fact their organization is located in Washington DC, and to me, anymore if ANYTHING comes out of Washington DC it's pretty much corrupt and crooked. So I wonder if you all highly recommend me making the switch to supporting the Gideons? Thanks and God bless. :D
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: What are your thoughts on the Gideons Bible organization

Post by RickD »

This article says that the American Bible Society just recently moved its headquarters to Philadelphia, after being in New York for 200 years. Where'd you get the idea it was in D.C.?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

Bible Societies throughout Western nations distribute Bibles in foreign countries where people can't get Bibles because of poverty or politics. They also translate the Bible into obscure languages in order to spread the Word to all. I think you are making a mistake by suspending your donations to the ABS.

As for the Gideons, I was recently on a trip and I forgot my Bible at home. I was happy to find a Gideon Bible in my hotel room. I read it but I could see that it had never been opened.

(I would also like to say that the first Bible I ever owned was a Gideon Bible which I stole from a hotel.)

FL :D
Last edited by Furstentum Liechtenstein on Thu May 14, 2015 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:Bible Societies throughout Western nations distribute Bibles in foreign countries where people can't get Bibles because of poverty or politics. They also translate the Bible into obscure languages in order to spread the Word to all. I think you are making a mistake by suspending your donations to the ABC.

As for the Gideons, I was recently on a trip and I forgot my Bible at home. I was happy to find a Gideon Bible in my hotel room. I read it but I could see that it had never been opened.

(I would also like to say that the first Bible I ever owned was a Gideon Bible which I stole from a hotel.)

y:-? How could you read a bible that was never opened?

Must be a Canadian trait then... y:-?
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

B. W. wrote:

-
-
-
ahhhh...have you been into the medical marijuana? oh, excuuuuuse me! you can buy your pot without a prescription in Colorado...

OK, as soon as the fog clears, read this: I could tell that the Bible in my hotel room had never been opened because new books make a peculiar sound when opened. That, and they also look & smell new. And they are clean.

FL :mrgreen:
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female

Post by Storyteller »

Thats true but I think what was meant was how could you have read it if it wasnt opened? By you.
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

Storyteller wrote:Thats true but I think what was meant was how could you have read it if it wasnt opened? By you.
All books are unread until opened. Enough said!

Anyway, The American Bible Society is a worthwhile charity. To stop donating money to the ABS just because you think it is in Washington* is bizarre reasoning. The Gideons - blessed be their work - don't have as much impact with the world's poor & destitute as does the ABS. In any event, the Lord loves a cheerful giver, so give where it makes you happy.

*It isn't in Washington.
Last edited by Furstentum Liechtenstein on Thu May 14, 2015 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

+ + +

+ + +
jlay
Ultimate Member

Post by jlay »

My father-in-law was a long time Gideon.
Supported by a variety of denominations.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
EssentialSacrifice
Advanced Senior Member

Post by EssentialSacrifice »

Yeah, sorry FL, that was pretty funny ... :pound: so was your explanation of "new book smell" :D
Trust the past to God’s mercy, the present to God’s love, and the future to God’s providence. -St Augustine
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

EssentialSacrifice wrote:

Yeah, sorry FL, that was pretty funny ... :pound: so was your explanation of "new book smell" :D
Have you and B.W. been smokin' up?

FL

+ + +

+ + +
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female

Post by Storyteller »

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:

FL
It`s true, new books do have a certain smell and feel to them.

When I list books on Amazon, if I have a book that is new, if I absolutely know it`s new and unopened I`ll list it as new otherwise it has to be listed as like new as you can tell if a book has been flicked through, let alone read, it has a different feel and sound when you open it.
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:

FL
REPENT THOU Heathen! Thouest knowest that devil weed leads so many to become brain dead minions who can'est read or even know what a book is! That is not'est thou me for beknownst that I oft speaketh Kings James English on Sundays!

Besides that...

Colorado was invaded by Californians and west coast libs who drive under the influence... and brought this fine state into modern age to become more Canadian like every day!

We in the USA can't read books that are closed, that is, unless we open them to read them first ;)
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

In all fairness, books can be complicated things . . .

Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
EssentialSacrifice
Advanced Senior Member

Post by EssentialSacrifice »

Holy Cow, Norwegian Monte Python :clap: ... well all that's left here is ... :pound: officially :shijacked: ... what were we talking about again y#-o y:-? ?
Trust the past to God’s mercy, the present to God’s love, and the future to God’s providence. -St Augustine