Assurance?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
MCF
Acquainted Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Assurance?

Post by MCF »

I keep getting frustrated with my understanding of the gospel. It's basically "I put my faith in Jesus, who died for my sins", and one follows his example because he loves him? I feel stupid for asking this question but I've been having issues with it. Aka what is the gospel, exactly. Stupid of me, I know. I've been a Christian for a year, but have been having repeat sin issues and have been thinking "what if I'm not really a Christian?" What if I'm just demon possessed to think I'm a Christian? If I'm thinking this I must certainly not be one and I'm very upset

Like what if I'm actually being controlled by evil to think I'm a Christian when I'm not? What if I'm not elect? How can I tell for sure? I know you can't lose your salvation but what if I never had it? And again I'm really upset

How can I know for SURE? :shakehead:
Deeper into this abyss
Weighted down and sinking fast
Life did not offer me
More than false destiny
I feel nothing
I am nothing
I feel nothing
I am nothing
MCF
Acquainted Member

Re: Assurance?

Post by MCF »

I'm extremely anxious...(nervous breakdown level anxious)
Deeper into this abyss
Life did not offer me
More than false destiny
I feel nothing
I am nothing
I feel nothing
I am nothing
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

MCF wrote:I keep getting frustrated with my understanding of the gospel. It's basically "I put my faith in Jesus, who died for my sins", and one follows his example because he loves him? I feel stupid for asking this question but I've been having issues with it. Aka what is the gospel, exactly. Stupid of me, I know. I've been a Christian for a year, but have been having repeat sin issues and have been thinking "what if I'm not really a Christian?" What if I'm just demon possessed to think I'm a Christian? If I'm thinking this I must certainly not be one and I'm very upset

Like what if I'm actually being controlled by evil to think I'm a Christian when I'm not? What if I'm not elect? How can I tell for sure? I know you can't lose your salvation but what if I never had it? And again I'm really upset

I don't think anyone can know with 100% certainty, but I will say this, nothing, I repeat nothing you do can save you, you require a saviour, just trust in him that can save and ignore the doubts in your mind and just love God, yourself and others.

Keep your faith as simple as that, try not to over complicate it.
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
MCF
Acquainted Member

Post by MCF »

You.........can't tell........with 100% certainty........?
Deeper into this abyss
Life did not offer me
More than false destiny
I feel nothing
I am nothing
I feel nothing
I am nothing
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

MCF wrote:You.........can't tell........with 100% certainty........?
If we knew everything with 100% certainty, why would we require faith.

I sympathise with your situation, I suffer from extreme anxiety and depression and when I became a Christian I had these exact same thoughts, with time you will settle down.
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
MCF
Acquainted Member

Post by MCF »

Faith would be for me to say that I am 100% certain that I am a Christian. To say I am not 100% sure is to display a lack of faith...
Deeper into this abyss
Life did not offer me
More than false destiny
I feel nothing
I am nothing
I feel nothing
I am nothing
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

MCF wrote:I keep getting frustrated with my understanding of the gospel. It's basically "I put my faith in Jesus, who died for my sins", and one follows his example because he loves him? I feel stupid for asking this question but I've been having issues with it. Aka what is the gospel, exactly. Stupid of me, I know. I've been a Christian for a year, but have been having repeat sin issues and have been thinking "what if I'm not really a Christian?" What if I'm just demon possessed to think I'm a Christian? If I'm thinking this I must certainly not be one and I'm very upset

John 6:37-40, "All that the Father gives Me will come to Me, and the one who comes to Me I will certainly not cast out. 38 "For I have come down from heaven, not to do My own will, but the will of Him who sent Me. 39 "This is the will of Him who sent Me, that of all that He has given Me I lose nothing, but raise it up on the last day." NASB

Do you trust Jesus to keep his word?
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
MCF
Acquainted Member

Post by MCF »

Yes.
Deeper into this abyss
Life did not offer me
More than false destiny
I feel nothing
I am nothing
I feel nothing
I am nothing
Mallz
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Mallz »

Like what if I'm actually being controlled by evil to think I'm a Christian when I'm not?
I've had similar thoughts thinking to myself 'what if I've just been fooling myself this whole time and am really unknown'? Fortunately, that line of thinking is the actual foolishness. You can test yourself to see if you are saved or not.

If you believe Jesus exists and is the Word that became flesh and was raised by our Father and confess such with your lips, you know you are saved. We can't know about someone else's state of salvation, but we can have a pretty good idea by seeing how they live. If one professes with their lips but not their heart, their heart will betray themselves and it can be seen by their fruits. So really there are three types of people 1)Those who are saved 2)Those who are unbelievers (and not saved) 3) Those who are hypocrites and think they are saved when they are not. So, ask yourself, what do your lips say and what does your heart reveal?

Romans 10:9-13
If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved. 11 As Scripture says, “Anyone who believes in him will never be put to shame.” 12 For there is no difference between Jew and Gentile—the same Lord is Lord of all and richly blesses all who call on him, 13 for, “Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.”[c]

The purpose of the gospel is to bring light into the world, to divide the darkness from the light so Elohim will know who are His, and who are not.
John 3:19
And this is the condemnation: that Light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.

Everyone, absolutely everyone has darkness in them. When the light comes and exposes our darkness, Elohim wants to see what we will do. Will we reject the light to dwell in darkness? Or will we love the light for exposing our sinful nature? If we reject the light, we reject Elohim. If we embrace the light, we are saying to Elohim 'I do not want to dwell in darkness anymore. I choose your light, over myself and the darkness I dwell in.' Choosing the light is the first step, walking in it will be a lifelong process, and can be painful as we aren't even aware of all the darkness in us and how attached we have become to it.

So the question is, do you want to dwell in the light, or in darkness? What do your lips say about Jesus? What does your heart say?
Last edited by Mallz on Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

MCF wrote:Yes.
Then you are saved 100 percent...

Please recall how on another thread you mentioned your state of mind as pertaining to the high and lows you go through? Trust what Jesus said and not what you feel as feelings can cause swings from high and then crash.

John 10:29 NASB "My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father's hand."

Hebrews 7:25 NKJV "Therefore He is also able to save to the uttermost those who come to God through Him, since He always lives to make intercession for them."

When Jesus saves it is always a 100 percent salvation and there is nothing you can add or subtract from his salvation.

Can you be 100 percent certain, yes, because Jesus keeps his promise.
-
-
-
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
MCF
Acquainted Member

Post by MCF »

My heart says that I need to strive to be more like Jesus

It's easy to be lazy and not guard your heart very well
Deeper into this abyss
Life did not offer me
More than false destiny
I feel nothing
I am nothing
I feel nothing
I am nothing
MCF
Acquainted Member

Post by MCF »

Also yeah I thought

This may be a mood swing, albeit a very nasty one
Deeper into this abyss
Life did not offer me
More than false destiny
I feel nothing
I am nothing
I feel nothing
I am nothing
Mallz
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Mallz »

Those are wise words.

Jeremiah 17:9
The heart is deceitful above all things
and beyond cure.
Who can understand it?
My heart says that I need to strive to be more like Jesus
And your heart speaks true. Conform to the image of Christ. Deny yourself, pick up your cross (by rejecting your own darkness), and choose to follow Him. His Spirit will 'clean house'.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

MCF wrote:My heart says that I need to strive to be more like Jesus

Explain to me the meaning of... Mat 11:28-30 NKJV:

Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For My yoke is easy and My burden is light."

It is easy to let go of darkness...
-
-
-
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
MCF
Acquainted Member

Post by MCF »

I do have a lot of darkness to reject...
Deeper into this abyss
Life did not offer me
More than false destiny
I feel nothing
I am nothing
I feel nothing
I am nothing