I am a non-believer and I would like my reasoning assessed.

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
NSV
Familiar Member
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Re: I am a non-believer and I would like my reasoning assess

Post by NSV »

Mallz wrote:
What conclusion? It was a question.
I assumed it was a question based off a drawn conclusion :p

The unchangeable entity causes change but is unchangeable in Itself. It's not a timeless void, It's being. Time is in It and It is outside of time. No void, but Pure Being. And we're in That too :)

Change comes from the unmoved mover aka The unchangeable entity. I think of it as through expression.
Jac wrote: That means there is something that is causing change that is non-temporal. And that is precisely why this thing is immutable. That which is not in time cannot change, because, by definition, time is the numbering of change before and after. So this thing is, in principle, not capable of change. And yet it is producing changes in this temporal world. Now what would you call a non-temporal entity (which is to say a real thing, since non-real things cannot do things, i.e., cause changes?) that is causing change? Another word for non-temporal is eternal. So to clarify further, what would you call an eternal, immutable entity causing effects in this world?
I used the words "Timeless void" in response to jac's argument that this entity is not within time.

Void may or may not have been a lack of better words, but it sounds good to me given what Jac said. If you would like to suggest something else. I will listen.

Thank you for clarifying.
NSV
Familiar Member

Post by NSV »

PaulSacramento wrote: I don't recall you answering the "WHY"....

Why do you not accept the bible's claim about God and do not think there is any validity in or around it supporting it's claims ?
I thought I did in the beginning. I will need to go back and read again to see if I missed that. Sorry if I did, but I do not think that the bible makes any logical argument for the existence of god. It only makes claims. This is my reasoning. I could elaborate more, but I will try to keep it concise.

Jac is now offering me a logical argument and I am now focused on that.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

NSV wrote:

Why do you not accept the bible's claim about God and do not think there is any validity in or around it supporting it's claims ?
I thought I did in the beginning. I will need to go back and read again to see if I missed that. Sorry if I did, but I do not think that the bible makes any logical argument for the existence of god. It only makes claims. This is my reasoning. I could elaborate more, but I will try to keep it concise.

Ah, thanks for clearing that up.
Jac's argument, by the way, is not (arguably) biblical as much as it is philosophical.

You should not look into the bible for arguments it doesn't make by the way.
The bible is a collection of theological revelations, history and wisdom sayings.
It is not just ONE thing.
No book or letter in the bible actually makes a argument FOR the existence of God since it was written TO those that already believed in God.
Even the letters to the gentiles/pagans were not written to PROVE the existence of A God, but to show that YHWH was THE God and ( in the NT) that Jesus was our saviour and why.
NSV
Familiar Member

Post by NSV »

PaulSacramento wrote:
NSV wrote:

Ah, thanks for clearing that up.
Jac's argument, by the way, is not (arguably) biblical as much as it is philosophical.

You should not look into the bible for arguments it doesn't make by the way.
The bible is a collection of theological revelations, history and wisdom sayings.
It is not just ONE thing.
No book or letter in the bible actually makes a argument FOR the existence of God since it was written TO those that already believed in God.
Even the letters to the gentiles/pagans were not written to PROVE the existence of A God, but to show that YHWH was THE God and ( in the NT) that Jesus was our saviour and why.
Thank you for clearing that up.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Now, I am NOT saying that the bible CAN't be used to prove the existence of God, just that it was not really written for that purpose.
Genesis, for example, is NOT an account of HOW God created in the sense of the process He used and so forth as much as WHY He did it and what happened to it with the particular focus on ONE band of humans, those that would eventually be know as the Hebrews.
It is NOT a scientific account and it was written FOR the specific purpose of demonstrating that YHWH was THE creator God and no other gods could compare. Genesis tell us how God causes all to come into being and how He sustains all, it does NOT state evidence for His existence or state HOW He did it other than, contrary to other creation stories of that time by the way, He created it out of "nothing" and how it was, in the beginning, nothing but formless and void.
This is not a scientific observation of course, but a statement of creation from "nothing" and not a modification of something in existence.
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Jac3510 »

Hi NSV,

So I think we are in substantial agreement. I don't want this post to run long, so let me just say in response to your last reply to me that I agree with you that we need to show that the principle cause (hereafter, PC) has intentionality if it is to be worthy of the name "God." I also note that you are correct that I lapsed into unnecessary language with the personal pronouns. That was sloppy on my part, so thanks for the correction. It's important not to sneak ideas in that have not been demonstrated. Other than that, let's hold off for a minute on the timeless void issue. I think the way I want to go about this will answer that question.

Okay, so we actually need several arguments to get to intentionality, and I don't want this to go on for years. So rather than going premise by premise, I'm going to go through several arguments at a time, hopefully with the same degree of precision we've been using already. The first thing we need to do is unpack two major implications of the claim that the PC is timeless/non-temporal/eternal and unchanging/immutable.

On Immateriality
  • 1. That which cannot change is indivisible (for if a thing can be divided, it can be changed);
    2. The PC cannot change;
    3. Therefore, the PC is indivisible;
    4. All material things--that is, all physical bodies--are divisible;
    5. Therefore, the PC is not a material thing, which is to say, the PC is immaterial.
On Pure Existence
  • 1. Any thing's property not identical with that thing's essence is either caused by its essence or comes from outside of the thing in question.
    2. An essence cannot produce its own existence or it would be prior to itself.
    3. Therefore, if something's existence is not identical with its essence, it must come from outside of the thing;
    4. To have any property come from outside one's essence is to be effected;
    5. The PC cannot be effected (since to be effected is to be changed, and the PC cannot be changed);
    6. Therefore, the PC cannot have any property come to it from outside of itself;
    7. Therefore, the PC's existence is neither produced by its essence (see 2) or comes to it from outside of itself (see 3-5);
    8. Therefore, the PC's existence is identical with its essence; that is, the PC is Existence Itself
If these premises can be sustained, then they show that in addition to the PC being eternal, immutable, and powerful (in the sense that it has the power to effect changes), we have now seen that it also is immaterial and is, in fact, Existence Itself. In fact, this last property is especially important. We will make a lot of it in our remaining discussion. Because the moment we affirm that the PC is Existence Itself, we can see that it is intuitively obvious that the PC is also eternal, immutable, powerful, and immaterial. I won't lay out those arguments here, but I trust that you'll be able to see that pretty easily. The reason, though, we had to go this way is because you can't just assert Existence Itself is a real concept. We had to show it.

Of course, as always, I need you to ask questions, offer objections, or confirm what we've seen so far. Since I just did in one post what I would have done in thirteen in our previous procedure, I would be shocked if you didn't have some questions or concerns at this point. But perhaps you agree, so let me stop and give you the chance to comment on this so far. I would only ask that we focus on the validity of the logic itself or of the validity of any individual premise. It is very, very easy at this point to turn our attention to uncomfortable implications of all this. In fact, wrote my master's thesis on this subject, and I can assure you that pretty much everyone--even among the most brilliant evangelical scholars--goes that route. It's disappointing, because while the reductio ad absurdem is a fair argument, it still remains afterwards to show where the logic itself fails, otherwise, the reductio turns out not to show the absurd at all but instead show some counterintuitive idea is true!

I think if we can show these two ideas, intentionality will be fairly easy to establish (as easy as anything in this subject is). Your thoughts?

edit:

Bonus argument on immateriality:
  • 1. All material things stand some sort of real relations to one another (e.g., bigger than, smaller than, in spatial proximity to, etc.);
    2. At least some material things are experiencing temporal change;
    3. If the PC is material, then it stands in a real relation to those material things that are experiencing temporal change;
    4. Therefore, if the PC is material, then its relationship with those material things that are experiencing temporal changes is constantly changing;
    5. Therefore, if the PC is material, it is constantly changing;
    6. But the PC cannot change;
    7. Therefore, the PC is not material
Beyond this argument, I also tend to think that Einstein has shown that all material things must be temporal insofar as material things are necessarily a part of the space-time continuum. That is, time seems to be a constituent part of matter, so where there is matter, there is necessarily time, and where there is time, there is necessarily change; so it seems to follow again (I suppose this is a third argument for the PCs immateriality) that the PC cannot be material, since the PC is atemporal.
Last edited by Jac3510 on Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

NSV wrote:
abelcainsbrother wrote: I am giving you the gospel truth the same that was given me and millions of other people who have been saved and changed by Jesus to serve God.You said you do not know and yet you deny you put your faith in it.Please explain how you can say you do not know and yet deny you do not have faith in this.It is what is keeping you from believing in a creator,you obviously have faith it could happen another way.
389483245438963590 * 329404353459854 – 34900 = X

Without being able to work the problem out or use a calculator, I do not know what X is. I do not have faith that I do not know. I truly have no idea what X is in this equation. I do not believe that I do not know. I KNOW I do not know what X is. That is the issue with faith and “I do not know” in our conversation.

I KNOW that I do not know.

If we still do not see eye to eye on this point. Maybe we should give our definitions of faith. I understand that work as: Accepting something as true without valid justification. I would not view the word as a form of Trust. Trust I think must have a valid justification for accepting. (e.g. I trust that my friend will pay my borrowed money back. I trust that he will because in the past he has before. ) Now, if my friend has never borrowed anything from me before, then I would say that I have faith that he will bring it back--assuming that no other form of displayed character or merit could vouch for my trust.
If you were a Christian then you should know "Without faith it is impossible to please God,there is no reason for anybody to jump through hoops to convince you,for you will never be saved if you cannot muster up enough faith to believe in Jesus and ask him to save you.I just gave you proof telling you that Jesus can save you and wash your sins away and change you on the inside to serve God and yet you choose not to believe it for whatever reason,but know this if you allowed yourself to believe in Jesus and you asked him to save you,he would and nobody would have to convince you.If you won't believe then nobody can or should make you.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
NSV
Familiar Member

Post by NSV »

Jac, you have given me a lot to work with. I am currently busy with work today, but I will review everything you have posted and reply back with my thoughts.

This has been very thorough and stimulating talks. Thank you. I should be able to within the next 10 hours.
jlay
Ultimate Member

Post by jlay »

NSV wrote:
abelcainsbrother wrote: I am giving you the gospel truth the same that was given me and millions of other people who have been saved and changed by Jesus to serve God.You said you do not know and yet you deny you put your faith in it.Please explain how you can say you do not know and yet deny you do not have faith in this.It is what is keeping you from believing in a creator,you obviously have faith it could happen another way.
389483245438963590 * 329404353459854 – 34900 = X

Without being able to work the problem out or use a calculator, I do not know what X is. I do not have faith that I do not know. I truly have no idea what X is in this equation. I do not believe that I do not know. I KNOW I do not know what X is. That is the issue with faith and “I do not know” in our conversation.

I KNOW that I do not know.

If we still do not see eye to eye on this point. Maybe we should give our definitions of faith. I understand that work as: Accepting something as true without valid justification. I would not view the word as a form of Trust. Trust I think must have a valid justification for accepting. (e.g. I trust that my friend will pay my borrowed money back. I trust that he will because in the past he has before. ) Now, if my friend has never borrowed anything from me before, then I would say that I have faith that he will bring it back--assuming that no other form of displayed character or merit could vouch for my trust.
NSV, first let me say, having followed this thread, I'm not a fan of Able's methods. Sounds a lot like, "just shut up and have faith." Sorry Able, but you're not making any progress here.

However, your response does bring up something I want to cover and that is the definition of faith. Honestly, it means nothing to say "i was a Christian" unless the terms are grounded. First, your definition is NOT a biblical or orthodox definition of the term. I'm not saying this isn't a modern definition, only that it is in conflict with the biblical usage, as well as orthodox Christianity. It is certainly one I would reject as it relates to my own 'faith.' The biblical term 'faith' is most certainly, trust. (Hebrews 11:1) It is not believing something for no good reason, which is basically how you defined it. If I said I have faith in someone, I'm not saying that I believe they exist even against all reason. From your description, you are saying you had no good reason to trust in the life, work and words of Jesus Christ. Now, it's quite possible that you did have good reason to believe and you have grown skeptical of such reasons as being valid. That is a different story. But if not, then I have a suggestion, which is that you stop telling people you were a Christian. To do so, after this explanation, would be willful ignorance or deceit on your part. All you are really saying is that you reject a notion of faith that Jac, myself and the vast majority of Christians past and present also reject.

When you say you 'were' a Christian, you are admitting that you had no good reason for trusting that Jesus Christ died for your sins according to the scriptures and rose from the dead. By your own explanation, you are saying that your faith was not one based in trusting Christ. It sounds more like crossing one's fingers, and that is not remotely what we, or any orthodox Christian, are arguing. So, if Able, or anyone for that matter, is telling you "you need to have faith (unreasonable, blind, and unjustified) in Christ, then I can't quite blame you. But that is not what we (Jac, myself and many others) are saying or pointing you towards.

Now, in relation to your equation example. Would you say that the answer is unknowable? Of course not.
That is akin to saying, "Because i don't have a calculator and lack the cognitive skill then there is no answer." (What would be even more insane is to imply there is no equation.) That is far different than saying you don't know. In your example, you know there is an equation and that with proper study you can discover the answer. I would say that is very much what Jac is doing. He is demonstrating, through natural reason, what can be known of the PC.

You stated that without a calculator or being able to work out the problem you can't know what 'X' is. Without a proper definition of faith you can't work through your own questions and skepticism.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

Take your time on getting back to me, NSV. Or if you get back rather quickly, forgive me if I get back a little more slowly. I am going back to Atlanta for a week, and my access here will be limited. I will probably be able to provide some quick feedback, but I won't be able to offer anything in any serious detail until late next week (and possibly something late tonight). With that said, there are some here who are very conversant with this material, too, and I'm more than confident in their ability to offer any clarifications in my absence. I'll, of course, review anything and offer my own thoughts when I get back, but I look forward to seeing how things progress in the meantime! :D
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Well said Jlay.
Faith is about trust and to trust in someone or something we must have some REASON to.
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Jac3510 wrote:8. Therefore, the PC's existence is identical with its essence; that is, the PC is Existence Itself
I hope I'm not intruding here or what I'm about to say complicates or derails the discussion but I thought it important to offer some insight on the above because it will become significant later on. If the above conclusion follows from the preceding premises (and obviously I think it necessarily does), the implications of which are much, much more than the obvious. What does it mean that the PC is existence itself? Well, at the most basic level it means there can be one and only one existence, that much is obvious. If we unpack it a little further, it follows that existence is all-encampassing, meaning across worlds, universes, multi-verses, any kind of laws (quantum, physics, chemistry, biology), and realities (alternate or otherwise). By definition, if anything exists anywhere in any shape or form, it would owe its existence to the PC. Keep that in mind as you explore the topic (and my apologies if such was too premature).
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Byblos wrote:
Jac3510 wrote:8. Therefore, the PC's existence is identical with its essence; that is, the PC is Existence Itself
I hope I'm not intruding here or what I'm about to say complicates or derails the discussion but I thought it important to offer some insight on the above because it will become significant later on. If the above conclusion follows from the preceding premises (and obviously I think it necessarily does), the implications of which are much, much more than the obvious. What does it mean that the PC is existence itself? Well, at the most basic level it means there can be one and only one existence, that much is obvious. If we unpack it a little further, it follows that existence is all-encampassing, meaning across worlds, universes, multi-verses, any kind of laws (quantum, physics, chemistry, biology), and realities (alternate or otherwise). By definition, if anything exists anywhere in any shape or form, it would owe its existence to the PC. Keep that in mind as you explore the topic (and my apologies if such was too premature).
And I would add that it sustains ALL and that nothing can exist without it.
NSV
Familiar Member

Post by NSV »

Also, first, I would agree, Able's method is not helpful. I am seeing it as you described. Jac is making great progress with me and I thank him for that.

“Now faith is the 1aassurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.”

J, this biblical use sounds exactly like how I used the word. “Accepting something as true without valid justification.” I would define justification as warrant, evidence, or reasoning. I would not say that hope lines up with this. As I understand the last line in that verse, I take that as conviction without evidence. I would need further explanation if I am to change how I understand this biblically.
jlay wrote: “When you say you 'were' a Christian, you are admitting that you had no good reason for trusting that Jesus Christ died for your sins”
I would agree with that.(But you do have to understand, my understandings of these words were quite different when I was a believer. I may have thought I had trust in god and in my religious leaders[if you will], but I do not think that I could actually have truth considering it was not demonstrated in the way that it had to be to be defined as trust. In other words, I thought they were catching me when I fell back, but it was an illusion of being caught.) So yes, I would retain the title of ex-Christian given my past understanding.

The issue with trust, as I see it, is that I cannot accurately use that word given that I do not think god could establish trust in the way that I understand the word. If I was to have never seen, used, or known of what a parachute was, and I had to jump out of a plane with one, I would call that faith. If I had an understanding of what a parachute was, it was my parachute with many jumps on it’s record, and I, having packed it 100 times before, then I would call that trust. In any sense, the word faith as I understand it, as most religious people I know understand it, as modern definitions label it, and as I understand Hebrews 11:1, is not synonymous with trust.

I am fully open to changing my understandings of these two definitions, but I will need some convincing. Maybe you could explain the difference or lack thereof between faith and trust. Maybe explain how I can have trust in god when I can never be sure it was god that acted to earn the trust in the first place. If I can never truly know god exists in the objective manner that Jac is trying to explain to me, how can I have trust in something that I cannot KNOW exists? I will use this a cheap example, and I hope it does not come off as an attempt to demean god, but I do not understand the use of the word trust if applied to the tooth fairy.
jlay wrote: “Now, in relation to your equation example. Would you say that the answer is unknowable? Of course not.
That is akin to saying, "Because i don't have a calculator and lack the cognitive skill then there is no answer." (What would be even more insane is to imply there is no equation.) That is far different than saying you don't know. In your example, you know there is an equation and that with proper study you can discover the answer. I would say that is very much what Jac is doing. He is demonstrating, through natural reason, what can be known of the PC. “
I am not sure what is being address here. I fully agree with you. My point with the equation is that I was demonstrating that I did not know what the answer was. Not that I had faith that I did not know.
jlay wrote: “You stated that without a calculator or being able to work out the problem you can't know what 'X' is. Without a proper definition of faith you can't work through your own questions and skepticism.”
And I hope we come to an understanding in the next few posts on this matter.

Jac, I will respond to your post soon. It is quite the piece of coal for the mind to burn through!
NSV
Familiar Member

Post by NSV »

Jac3510 wrote:Of course, as always, I need you to ask questions, offer objections, or confirm what we've seen so far. Since I just did in one post what I would have done in thirteen in our previous procedure, I would be shocked if you didn't have some questions or concerns at this point. But perhaps you agree, so let me stop and give you the chance to comment on this so far. I would only ask that we focus on the validity of the logic itself or of the validity of any individual premise. It is very, very easy at this point to turn our attention to uncomfortable implications of all this. In fact, wrote my master's thesis on this subject, and I can assure you that pretty much everyone--even among the most brilliant evangelical scholars--goes that route. It's disappointing, because while the reductio ad absurdem is a fair argument, it still remains afterwards to show where the logic itself fails, otherwise, the reductio turns out not to show the absurd at all but instead show some counterintuitive idea is true!
While I still may have objections later, currently, my brief understanding of this argument appears sound. However, it almost appears to me as a reiteration of your initial 1-5 premises a couple pages back, but with a bit more detail. Also, if this argument is to fail, I think my objections would lie with the intention premises, that are soon to come, or the beginning premises that deny a chain of infinity. Having that said, I am fine with the most recent premises.

On we go!