Christians, halloween and other holidays...

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
cubeus19
Established Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Christians, halloween and other holidays...

Post by cubeus19 »

Hello everyone, what's your take on celebrating not only halloween but all other holidays "christian" and non christian in general, this would also include birthdays, anniversaries and such. Some say regardless of their pagan origin if the person celebrating is not intending to celebrate it in such a manner he wouldn't be counted as sinning but others say regardless of the intent by having ANY FORM of participation in ANY holiday is evil and is sinning. There are some people who make you think much like the guy in these videos...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJ4i12Q ... xfNb4uGUCw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uyZQ9f ... xfNb4uGUCw

If you celebrate it in any way you basically by and large can or will lose your salvation, because if you are a true believer you will be apart from the world and not celebrate in any holiday that the world celebrates in. Sheesh, some of these types make me think they believe in a works based salvation in which we shun everything fun and pleasurable and basically become like Amish folk. What do you think, are people like him going too far with this shunning thing or is it really the thing to do, and if it is the thing to do, why not then, shun everything fun and enjoyable and modern and DO become like biter angry legalistic amish people?
crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: Christians, halloween and other holidays...

Post by crochet1949 »

I clicked into the video for a very short time -- since this Is Halloween -- I Don't participate in the trick or treat / handing out candy thing. I'm in my mid-60's -- when I was growing up in Iowa Trick or treating , house to house, was common. Everyone did it. We dressed up as ghosts / I wore a white sheet. No one thought anything of it. Back then it was simply a lot of fun and who had the biggest bag of candy. But at some point mean people started putting stuff in apples -- That was horrible. Kids were ending up in E.R. So Then we'd only go to people's homes that we knew. Mostly it was still safe, though. And the deal was that if a house porch light wasn't on -- you didn't go up to knock. And then churches started having dress-up parties to provide a safe environment. And Then someone on email challenged me -- did I know the origins OF Halloween. What it represented? That witches / worlocks were Real . And we Don't believe in the existence of ghosts. So Why would a Christian take part in Halloween. After That I / our family Didn't.
And Then we questioned Why Churches acknowledged it at all. And we were told that since kids are going to be out -- they felt led to provide a safe place for the kids. So churches would have games, etc. in their parking lots.
But apparently the question goes Further -- as to include Any holidays ? Christians Are supposed to be separate from the world. If a believer still looks and acts like the rest of the world -- there's a problem. We Are to dress modestly and use honorable language and be ready to share the Gospel unto salvation with others as opportunity presents itself. But the concept of Not celebrating birthdays, anniversaries, etc. -- maybe it would depend on HOW they are being celebrated. But to purposely Ignore holidays / anniversaries -- what's being accomplished -- except maybe to alienate people? We CAN be a good example by providing water or soft drinks / having soft , relaxing music in the background. Being a Positive influence.
Society Needs to see Christianity in a Positive light -- we Need to be having fun and enjoying life.
1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by 1over137 »

Here in Slovakia we have Pamiatka zosnulych Day when people go to see graves of family members. Many times, family members they did not know about themselves because of being from other branch of family tree meet there.
But this American Halloween stuff has come also here and it seems many poeple enjoy it. Many hate it.
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

If you look far enough you realize that EVERYTHING has either a pagan "origin" or a pagan equivalent.

ST Paul said it best in Romans:

5 One person regards one day above another, another regards every day alike. Each person must be fully convinced in his own mind. 6 He who observes the day, observes it for the Lord, and he who eats, does so for the Lord, for he gives thanks to God; and he who eats not, for the Lord he does not eat, and gives thanks to God. 7 For not one of us lives for himself, and not one dies for himself; 8 for if we live, we live for the Lord, or if we die, we die for the Lord; therefore whether we live or die, we are the Lord’s. 9 For to this end Christ died and lived again, that He might be Lord both of the dead and of the living.

10 But you, why do you judge your brother? Or you again, why do you regard your brother with contempt? For we will all stand before the judgment seat of God. 11 For it is written,

“As I live, says the Lord, every knee shall bow to Me,
And every tongue shall give praise to God.”
12 So then each one of us will give an account of himself to God.

13 Therefore let us not judge one another anymore, but rather determine this—not to put an obstacle or a stumbling block in a brother’s way. 14 I know and am convinced in the Lord Jesus that nothing is unclean in itself; but to him who thinks anything to be unclean, to him it is unclean.