Why is blasphemy of the Holy Spirit an 'unrepentable' sin ?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
User avatar
LittleHamster
Established Member
Posts: 175
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:00 am
Christian: Yes

Why is blasphemy of the Holy Spirit an 'unrepentable' sin ?

Postby LittleHamster » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:36 pm

Blaspheme against Jesus and you could be forgiven. Blaspheme against God and you can still be saved. But mess with the Holy Spirit and its eternal Ka-put-ski for you !

Matt 12:31, "Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men."

Mark 3:28-30, "Verily I say unto you, All sins shall be forgiven unto the sons of men, and blasphemies wherewith soever they shall blaspheme: But he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost hath never forgiveness, but is in danger of eternal damnation: Because they said, He hath an unclean spirit."

Luke 12:10, "And whosoever shall speak a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but unto him that blasphemeth against the Holy Ghost it shall not be forgiven."


Anyone here care to explain why ?

User avatar
B. W.
Board Moderator
Posts: 7955
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:17 am
Christian: Yes
Location: Colorado

Re: Why is blasphemy of the Holy Spirit an 'unrepentable' si

Postby B. W. » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:12 pm

LittleHamster wrote:Blaspheme against Jesus and you could be forgiven. Blaspheme against God and you can still be saved. But mess with the Holy Spirit and its eternal Ka-put-ski for you !

Matt 12:31, "Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men."

Mark 3:28-30, "Verily I say unto you, All sins shall be forgiven unto the sons of men, and blasphemies wherewith soever they shall blaspheme: But he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost hath never forgiveness, but is in danger of eternal damnation: Because they said, He hath an unclean spirit."

Luke 12:10, "And whosoever shall speak a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but unto him that blasphemeth against the Holy Ghost it shall not be forgiven."


Anyone here care to explain why ?


I think this link will help answer this:

http://www.gotquestions.org/blasphemy-Holy-Spirit.html
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys

User avatar
LittleHamster
Established Member
Posts: 175
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:00 am
Christian: Yes

Re: Why is blasphemy of the Holy Spirit an 'unrepentable' si

Postby LittleHamster » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:43 pm

LittleHamster wrote:I think this link will help answer this:

http://www.gotquestions.org/blasphemy-Holy-Spirit.html
-
-



Thank you for that link, I'm still trying to 'reason' it out (if reason is at all possible).

It seems that Blasphemy is "the act of attributing the work of the holy spirit to the work to the devil".

But why can't a person, who blasphemed, later say "Crikey, I got it wrong! Please forgive me Father, Son and Holy Spirit."

It sort of sounds like you don't get a second chance if you Blaspheme against the Spirit. You're sunk forever ! (that's a bit scary)
Last edited by LittleHamster on Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Lonewolf
Valued Member
Posts: 383
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:12 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided
Location: Southern California

Re: Why is blasphemy of the Holy Spirit an 'unrepentable' si

Postby Lonewolf » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:34 pm

When a person blasphemes in the matter such as like B.W. posted ~> "the act of attributing the work of the holy spirit to the work to the devil," <~ that person is of the darkest type of heart you can find walking the earth, imo.
Your outward profession of having put on Christ, has as yet to put off Plato from your heart!

User avatar
neo-x
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3299
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:13 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Contact:

Re: Why is blasphemy of the Holy Spirit an 'unrepentable' si

Postby neo-x » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:47 pm

I know it sounds scary. FWIW I think people who don't really understand what they are doing are forgiven.
People treat facts as relevant more when the facts tend to support their opinions. When the facts are against their opinions, they don't necessarily deny the facts, but they say the facts are less relevant or insignificant. This is ofcourse because believing things that make you feel comfortable, takes a priority. And I think that should not be the case if one is after truth.

http://johnadavid.wordpress.com

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Posts: 7924
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:29 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: Why is blasphemy of the Holy Spirit an 'unrepentable' si

Postby PaulSacramento » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:11 am

LittleHamster wrote:
LittleHamster wrote:I think this link will help answer this:

http://www.gotquestions.org/blasphemy-Holy-Spirit.html
-
-



Thank you for that link, I'm still trying to 'reason' it out (if reason is at all possible).

It seems that Blasphemy is "the act of attributing the work of the holy spirit to the work to the devil".

But why can't a person, who blasphemed, later say "Crikey, I got it wrong! Please forgive me Father, Son and Holy Spirit."

It sort of sounds like you don't get a second chance if you Blaspheme against the Spirit. You're sunk forever ! (that's a bit scary)



IMO:
The blasphemy against something is to reject it, far more than that really, it is to reject and then to make others want to reject it to, to actively go against it.
BUT to do that we must first KNOW it and when that "it" is the HS what does that mean?
It means that we have KNOWN the HS ( which means we have received it or at least we have been "offered" it, we know the gift of Grace and understand it) and have decided to not only reject the HS ( and Christ and Our Father) BUT also go against them.
Let that sink in...

You have KNOWN pure and absolute love and grace and have decided not only to say "No thank you" but have decided to say " F YOU" and want to drive others to do the same.

Based on that, can you see how blaspheming the HS is THE sin ?

Starhunter
Senior Member
Posts: 657
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 6:14 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: Why is blasphemy of the Holy Spirit an 'unrepentable' si

Postby Starhunter » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:35 pm

If you knew that you hated God, should you tell Him that?

Or would that be risking the unpardonable?

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Posts: 7924
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:29 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: Why is blasphemy of the Holy Spirit an 'unrepentable' si

Postby PaulSacramento » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:27 am

Starhunter wrote:If you knew that you hated God, should you tell Him that?

Or would that be risking the unpardonable?


You say that as if God doesn't know.

Starhunter
Senior Member
Posts: 657
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 6:14 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: Why is blasphemy of the Holy Spirit an 'unrepentable' si

Postby Starhunter » Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:33 am

Re to the thread Q.

If a person avoided God, hated God, was frustrated with Him, etc, should they tell that to His face in prayer, should they really express their anger and frustration?

Or is that blasphemy and disrespect on the highest level?

User avatar
melanie
Make me a Sammich Member
Posts: 1298
Joined: Sat May 10, 2014 3:18 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female

Re: Why is blasphemy of the Holy Spirit an 'unrepentable' si

Postby melanie » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:08 am

Starhunter wrote:Re to the thread Q.

If a person avoided God, hated God, was frustrated with Him, etc, should they tell that to His face in prayer, should they really express their anger and frustration?

Or is that blasphemy and disrespect on the highest level?


Yeah, it's disrespectful and defintately better avoided, can we express frustration and sometimes anger? Yes I think we can, because were human. If this is a relationship then what true, honest relationship is worthwhile, if we can't express what we are truly thinking and feeling. Any relationship based on love, requires patience and understanding.
Anyone with children knows that horrible feeling when our kiddies, in the heat of the moment say "I hate you" to which I have replied back, "well I love you very much". They don't hate us, usually it is because we have disciplined them and they are frustrated and angry. We are our Fathers children and He understands how imperfect and fallible we are.

I think blasphemy of the HS is something much more than cursing God. It is a reflection of our hearts not our words. The Pharisees put guards outside Jesus tomb because they feared Him raising from the dead, they knew that He was who He claimed He was but worked against Him anyway. They had seen The Light and rejected it. There are people like that today. They are not atheists, finding it difficult to grasp a concept of God, they are not people who have fallen away from The Lord, they are people who know the truth and reject it, they turn light into darkness and work against The Almighty. They are standing outside Jesus tomb trying to stop the word and light and truth reaching the people.
I think that is what blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is.

User avatar
LittleHamster
Established Member
Posts: 175
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:00 am
Christian: Yes

Re: Why is blasphemy of the Holy Spirit an 'unrepentable' si

Postby LittleHamster » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:52 am

Thank you for your posts everyone. I'm starting to get an idea about why this sin is unrepentable but still having a little trouble reasoning this it out or even finding a possible analogy for it. Anyway, here are a few more quotes......

It is interesting what Mark 3:28-30 said, ie., because "He hath an unclean spirit"

also

"..because before a person can blaspheme against the Holy Spirit, his heart must become so hard that he does not merely reject God in unbelief (he is simply a fool, Psalm 14:1) but, recognizing the nature of the Holy Spirit, curses or reviles Him. There was never any forgiveness of that either in Old or New Testament."
(source: http://www.oldpaths.com/Archive/Brown/T ... sph-1.html)

and

"..blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is in its nature an eternal sin, for if one rejects the evidence given by the Holy Spirit and ascribes it to Satan, he rejects the only evidence upon which faith can be based; and without faith there is no forgiveness."
(source: http://preacherstudy.com/blasph.html)

and

"..when a person attributes works to the devil, which he had the fullest evidence could be wrought only by the Spirit of God, is the sin against the Holy Ghost. Here the matter is made clear beyond the smallest doubt. The unpardonable sin, as some term it, is neither less nor more than ascribing the miracles Christ wrought by the power of God, to the spirit of the devil."
(source: http://ecclesia.org/truth/blasphemy.html)

and

"One of things it means is saying that the Holy Spirit is the devil. This is a hardness of the heart which cannot be forgiven for the person has denied who God is and attributed him with evil. Therefore the person will never seek repentence for they do not know God or accept him."
(source: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_does_it_ ... oly_spirit)

User avatar
LittleHamster
Established Member
Posts: 175
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:00 am
Christian: Yes

Re: Why is blasphemy of the Holy Spirit an 'unrepentable' si

Postby LittleHamster » Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:41 am

Ok, ok, I've come up with a (rather crude) analogy. I'm still unsure of how accurately it portrays whats going on.

Starhunter
Senior Member
Posts: 657
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 6:14 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: Why is blasphemy of the Holy Spirit an 'unrepentable' si

Postby Starhunter » Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:44 pm

melanie wrote:... If this is a relationship then what true, honest relationship is worthwhile, if we can't express what we are truly thinking and feeling...

I think blasphemy of the HS is something much more than cursing God. ...

they turn light into darkness and work against The Almighty. They are standing outside Jesus tomb trying to stop the word and light and truth reaching the people.

...


I just wanted to talk about these three points you made.

We know that it's not possible to have an honest and loving relationship unless there is transparency.
Telling God how it is with us, is not the sin against the Holy Spirit.
And Jesus said you cannot do anything against the truth which is not for the truth.

On the last point - calling the work of the Holy Spirit the work of the devil is part of the unpardonable, as you have indicated, but lying to God is even worse.

In the OT God says He hates praise from hearts that are far from Him.

In the NT, would Judas have avoided betraying Christ if he had talked openly to Christ about his need for greed instead of keeping it secret?

jven
Acquainted Member
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:40 am
Christian: Yes

Re: Why is blasphemy of the Holy Spirit an 'unrepentable' sin ?

Postby jven » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:21 pm

this is how i understood what this sin is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5_UC-LRopw

..... and here at 55:00 mins int the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8BVQhJhTTk


Return to “Questions for Christians”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests