Will heaven be boring?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
slabendadas
Newbie Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Will heaven be boring?

Post by slabendadas »

Is it wrong to enjoy things here on Earth? I love my saxophone playing and gear and trying new reeds and things like that. Is this materialism? Is it wrong that I love music?
What about other worldly things like books or television or cinema? Won't we miss these things in heaven? How will we stay happy in heaven? Can we feel happiness without a comparative sadness?

I know this is a lot of questions but basically I am asking,
Won't we miss earthly things in heaven, and how will we keep occupied in heaven?
Seraph
Christian: No
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Will heaven be boring?

Post by Seraph »

No way will be boring, if you've ever experienced what it's like to have a close intimate connection with God, you know that such a feeling will never get old.

It's definitely not bad to have passions and interests in this life, I love those things too. I can't say if things like movies and music will be in heaven but I think that experiencing God will essentially make those things seem pretty lame in comparison. I personally wouldn't be too bothered to find out they aren't going to be there.
I am committed to belief in God, as the most morally demanding, psychologically enriching, intellectually satisfying and imaginatively fruitful hypothesis about the ultimate nature of reality known to me - Keith Ward
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

We worship a creative being that promises a new creation for us, but he never says he won't keep creating. Imagine exploring millions of different creations, I doubt I will ever be bored of what would essentially be, exploring the mind of God. I can't even begin to imagine the possibilities. y:-?
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

There is nothing wrong with enjoying music or fiction or cinema... I used be bothered with these things so much that my life became AWKWARD. Don't let anyone blame you for things like these, foremost your conscience. God bless you. You beleive in christ, have faith, let that bring you peace, that is what brings us close to God.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
Proinsias
Advanced Senior Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Proinsias »

Alan Watts on heaven always made me smile:
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIYufnmDrMw[/youtube]
DRDS

Post by DRDS »

Now this is one of my topics of choice! :D If you want to dig much deeper into the wonders of heaven try reading some books such as Randy Alcorn's book Heaven, or one of my personal favorites The travel guide to heaven by Anthony Destefano.

Plus if you do some searching on people like Randy Alcorn you will be able to easily find interviews and commentaries on this subject.

Another guy I will recommend and I'll be posting about him tomorrow is a guy from Austrailia named Grantley Morris. He has a website full of encouraging and biblically accurate articles on his website www.net-burst.net, on there, you will find great articles like this one: http://www.net-burst.net/christian-fiction/index.htm

Another article right off the top of my head is Clay Jones who is a professor at Biola University who does a really good job and debunking this myth.

http://www.clayjones.net/2012/01/why-i- ... -eternity/

Anyway, I hope this helps, GB
Philip
Site Owner
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Philip »

Well, Who do you think gave us the capacity to compose and enjoy music, art, natural beauty, stargazing, etc? Our sense of beauty? Our ability to laugh? Even though what we see are mere shadows of the beauty that God originally built, we still inhabit a world and universe of immense wonder and beauty that even atheists and unbelievers are still wowed by. Just imagine the New/Restored Earth/Heaven Merger that we will see without corruption or the vestiges of sin, living with Jesus in our fantastic Resurrection bodies. Think of every way-cool National Geo or Discovery Channel special that highlights the worlds various awesome wonders - think the Creator of those wonders has planned for you one long, extremely dull church service? Of course, that's exactly what the devil wants people to believe. But if you think THIS world offers anything interesting and exciting, what do you think God has planned for the one to come, in which we will live and rule with Him. With endless days to share it. God is glorified when we find joy in things He has given us and made for our joy.

I HIGHLY recommend Alcorn's book, "Heaven" (http://www.amazon.com/Heaven-Randy-Alco ... 896&sr=1-1). While some of it is necessarily speculative, I find it mostly Biblically sound, and it has made me far more excited about the eternal world to come.
slabendadas
Newbie Member

Post by slabendadas »

Thank you very much everyone for the replies you have changed the way I think heaven will be for the better.
cubeus19
Established Member

Post by cubeus19 »

Now I gots question! :D In heaven, when we have our resurrected bodies, from what I've learned, we will be able to eat, but my question concerns SERIOUS business. In heaven, in our resurrected bodies, will we be able to do.....THIS?! :D

:spoop:

Thoughts?
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Now I gots question! :D In heaven, when we have our resurrected bodies, from what I've learned, we will be able to eat, but my question concerns SERIOUS business. In heaven, in our resurrected bodies, will we be able to do.....THIS?! :D

Thoughts?
Really? That is your important question about Heaven? POOP? :shock:

I would say no - that it would be a WASTE of eternal time!
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

cubeus19 wrote:Now I gots question! :D In heaven, when we have our resurrected bodies, from what I've learned, we will be able to eat, but my question concerns SERIOUS business. In heaven, in our resurrected bodies, will we be able to do.....THIS?! :D

Thoughts?
No ones eating there, you would have a different existance.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if

without.

cubeus19
Established Member

Post by cubeus19 »

What? How do you know we won't eat there? Most theologians suggest that we will, and the best evidence is Christ's resurrected body. After He rose from the dead He demonstrated to the apostles that He wasn't a ghost by eating fish. He did this a time or two before he ascended. Hence, when we get a similar new body, we will thus be able to eat. What evidence do you have that suggests not? I want to see it if it's there.
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Neo:No ones eating there, you would have a different existence.

“You are those who have stayed with me in my trials, and I assign to you, as my Father assigned to me, a kingdom, that you may eat and drink at my table in my kingdom and sit on thrones judging the twelve tribes of Israel." (Luke 22:29-30)

"On this mountain the Lord of hosts will make for all peoples a feast of rich food, a feast of well-aged wine, of rich food full of marrow, of aged wine well refined." (Isaiah 25:6)

Yes, Christians will be feasting at the Lord's table, in Heaven!
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

Well, you can think so if you find it to be a possibility. I don't think such possibility exists. If heaven is not spiritual, than its material and if its material like today we have than its probably not heaven. The thing is, food is not pleasure. Food is energy our bodied need to survive, maintain temperature, balance, respiration, blood pressure etc. Unless you are suggesting that our spirits have lungs, or our ressurected bodies have stomachs, and hemeoglobin blood cells, which by the way die, then I would simply question such unusual view of a spiritual body. I mean consider the consequence of such a body, what if someone cut you, do you bleed? If you bleed do you die? If someone shoots someone in the head, do they roam around with a hole in their head? There are endless absurdities to consider.

without.

neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

cubeus19 wrote:What? How do you know we won't eat there? Most theologians suggest that we will, and the best evidence is Christ's resurrected body. After He rose from the dead He demonstrated to the apostles that He wasn't a ghost by eating fish. He did this a time or two before he ascended. Hence, when we get a similar new body, we will thus be able to eat. What evidence do you have that suggests not? I want to see it if it's there.
May be thats true...to me it makes no sense...because now I have to assume that there is fish in heaven too. Unless you say there is not, in which case the question we should be asking is, what would be we eat in heaven if there is no food in heaven? Or am I to wonder if God has a wheat farm and a fish farm..there must be food in heaven then? How is it produced? And where is the kitchen? Do angels cook food for us? or is selfhelped...what would the food be cooked upon, fuel, gas, wood..where would the smoke go? Pollution in heaven?

Or for those of us who are carniovores, there will be no killing, no blooadshed in heaven...so we are all eating grass in the end aren't we? cuz we are not going to get a beef/chicken burger for sure... forget bacon?

Can you see my point please?

without.